The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 15, 2012, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Hand Mechanics for reporting fouls

Announce color first. Then number. When saying number what hand do you use? One hand to announce 2 digit number like 42 or one hand for the 4 and other hand for 2.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2012, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

If you're strictly using NF mechanics, then numbers are reported using one hand.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Dec 15, 2012, 07:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Already Know, I'm A Bad Boy, Please Don't Tell Santa Claus ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonx View Post
One hand to announce 2 digit number like 42 or one hand for the 4 and other hand for 2.
Now, more importantly, does the reporting official verbalize, "Four. Two.", or, "Forty-two"? I'm positive that we'll only get one definitive Forum answer to this question. That's the way things usually work around these parts. Right?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 15, 2012, 09:36pm
This IS My Social Life

This is Rome; Do It This Way Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonx View Post
Announce color first. Then number. When saying number what hand do you use? One hand to announce 2 digit number like 42 or one hand for the 4 and other hand for 2.
Fed mechanics (unlike other states) here: one-hand number reporting. Our crew mentions to the table that the hand with which we give the number is the same side as the bench of the team that committed the foul. Some appreciate that, though it's not required by Fed or state. Handy for extra noisy gyms, of which we have more than a few around here.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2012, 10:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Now, more importantly, does the reporting official verbalize, "Four. Two.", or, "Forty-two"? I'm positive that we'll only get one definitive Forum answer to this question. That's the way things usually work around these parts. Right?
Honestly who cares? If you use a strong voice it really does not matter.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 15, 2012, 10:19pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
The 2011-12 NFHS Basketball Guide should have put an end to this "myth."

"Use one hand to signal the number of the player that fouled."

"When verbalizing a two-digit number, say the full number, not the two parts. For example, a foul on number 24 should be said, "Blue twenty-four," not Blue two-four."

End of story, no?
Old Sat Dec 15, 2012, 10:29pm
Archaic Power Monger

When in Rome, don't do as the Egyptians or something like that.

We do as the NFHS manual suggests.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2012, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Always been taught by every supervisor to say the full number.. twenty-three as opposed two-three.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 02:07am
C'mon man!!

How bout we just go by the book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
Always been taught by every supervisor to say the full number.. twenty-three as opposed two-three.
The NFHS 2011-2013 Basketball officials manual states:

0.2.1 Mechanics Points of Emphesis
"When verbalizing a two digit number, say the full number not the two parts."
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 10:06am
Esteemed Forum Member

Settled ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
The 2011-12 NFHS Basketball Guide: "When verbalizing a two-digit number, say the full number, not the two parts. For example, a foul on number 24 should be said, "Blue twenty-four," not Blue two-four."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
The NFHS 2011-2013 Basketball officials manual states: 0.2.1 Mechanics Points of Emphasis "When verbalizing a two digit number, say the full number not the two parts."
Excellent citations.

Connecticut, as an IAABO state, has been using IAABO mechanics for several years now. Back when we were using NFHS mechanics, I don't recall specific direction to "say the full number not the two parts", or even the opposite of that. As a result, all of us were taught, and new officials are still taught, to verbalize the two parts of the number.

When did the NFHS come up with such clear, specific hand signal directions? With such clear directions, why has this topic been debated over and over again on the Forum? The current 2012-13 IAABO mechanics guide is not as specific as the NFHS on this procedure.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 10:22am.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

How many officials do you see point to the bench, of the team that has fouled, prior to giving the number of the player that fouled?

Is that a big deal in your area?
Richland, WA
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 10:12am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Old School?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
How many officials do you see point to the bench, of the team that has fouled, prior to giving the number of the player that fouled?

My mentor, a long since retired HS official, who just does an occasional Rec Game with me now, still does this sometimes.

Other than him, I've never seen it done.......
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

It's frowned upon, but sometimes it's hard to hear / understand so when I'm at the table (as I have been before) it can help.

I think it should be added to the mechanics.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
It's frowned upon, but sometimes it's hard to hear / understand so when I'm at the table (as I have been before) it can help.

I think it should be added to the mechanics.
I agree with you bob...

It is old school...when I first started officiating all the Varsity guys would use this mechanic. Therefore, I used it. But, the mechanic became frowned on in venues where we are rated...as it was not an "approved" mechanic...so I quit using it years ago.

Some very good officials around here still use it...and some of the new guys are watching them and starting to use the mechanic.

I just got a email from a association member today asking me to address this issue at our next meeting. He does not want to make a "big deal" about it...but, wants some quidance.

In a loud gym it can be a good mechanic...I agree...but, not "approved".

What say you? ...in regards to guiding your membership.
Richland, WA

Last edited by RookieDude; Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 10:28am.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 10:26am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:

We call it "the accusatory point" here. Was formerly done by everyone. But it was a big enough deal to the state that they asked us not to do the point-to-the-bench-that-did-the-foul thing anymore. Just say, "Blue foul...", then give the number.
Without the pointy-thingy to do anymore some, like our crew, are going to the reporting-the-fouler's-number-with-the-hand-that's-on-the-side-of-the-bench-of-that-team thing for clarity's sake.