The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 10, 2006, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Did anyone notice that Teddy Valentine was using two hand reporting in the Duke game? Also I noticed some two hand reporting in the UVA/VT games. IMHO, its alot easier than the one hand reporting and it slows you down too. Comments are welcomed.
Old Fri Mar 10, 2006, 08:18am
Huck Finn

My comments are we aren't supposed to do it in the men's game. If we do it, along with walking and talking, I think we need to work on making it look good. It is just another mechanic that I think can look weak or strong. There is a league we could use as an example but nobody watches that league.
Old Fri Mar 10, 2006, 10:24am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I like the NBA walk and talk. I think it looks good and actually is easy to implement.

I think the keys are walk to same speed after every foul call. Speeding up or slowing down could be a tell that you're miffed (sp?). Think of playing Texas Hold 'Em. You look at your two pocket cards, then look up. If you look up right away, it often means you have two cards that are easy to remember, such as a pair or suited connectors. The key in Hold Em is to act the same no matter what cards you have.

Other points: don't make eye contact with anyone except the table when you're reporting with the walk and talk.
Old Fri Mar 10, 2006, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
My comments are we aren't supposed to do it in the men's game. If we do it, along with walking and talking, I think we need to work on making it look good. It is just another mechanic that I think can look weak or strong. There is a league we could use as an example but nobody watches that league.
I agree 100%. It is not proper mechanics but they can do whatever they want because of who they are.
Old Fri Mar 10, 2006, 05:13pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
Did anyone notice that Teddy Valentine was using two hand reporting in the Duke game? Also I noticed some two hand reporting in the UVA/VT games. IMHO, its alot easier than the one hand reporting and it slows you down too. Comments are welcomed.
Teddy's been doing it all year. He usually doesn't signal the nature of the foul, either, just the number. IMO, he has it just right. Who CARES if we signal push, hack, hold, etc?
Old Fri Mar 10, 2006, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

I would have liked to seen it when Ted was doing it, because from what I heard John Clougherty (ACC supervisor) and Gerald Boudreaux(SEC supervisor) don't mind if you use it on a double number i.e., 22,33,44,55. Why they wouldn't care for any of the other numbers is beyond me.
Old Fri Mar 10, 2006, 06:09pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
I would have liked to seen it when Ted was doing it, because from what I heard John Clougherty (ACC supervisor) and Gerald Boudreaux(SEC supervisor) don't mind if you use it on a double number i.e., 22,33,44,55. Why they wouldn't care for any of the other numbers is beyond me.
What am I missing here?

The other legal numbers, other than double numbers, are single numbers. How can you use two-hand reporting on 0, 1 , 2 , 3 ,4 or 5?
Old Fri Mar 10, 2006, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

I mean other numbers such as 34, 25, 10, so and so forth.
Old Fri Mar 10, 2006, 06:29pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I mean other numbers such as 34, 25, 10, so and so forth.
You mean that those supervisors are saying that that you can use 2 hands for #22, but you have to use 1 hand for #23?

Now I agree with you. That's beyond me also. Doesn't make sense at all.

Old Fri Mar 10, 2006, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't hear it straight from the horses mouth, but my mentor is an SEC official and another guy I know is an ACC official.
Old Fri Mar 10, 2006, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
I didn't hear it straight from the horses mouth, but my mentor is an SEC official and another guy I know is an ACC official.
The SEC uses two hand reporting. They are experimenting with it.
Old Fri Mar 10, 2006, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

I wish they'd quit doing that crap. I hate the way the NBA mechanics have filtered down to the college/prep level. I think we need to look different if for no other reason than we ARE different. There's too many people that think the rules for 7th grade and the NBA are the same. Sheesh, I had a guy argue with me for 5 minutes (I was sitting, waiting for my next game, otherwise, I'd have left) that we should only shoot one FT for a technical foul (this was back in the '90s when everyone south of the NBA shot 2 FTs). I couldn't convince him, even when my partner handed me his rule book and I showed him the text.

At any rate, it'd be one thing if there was a good reason to use two handed reporting or other NBA signals, but there isn't. One reason the NBA uses the mechanics it does is because it wants to be different from college/prep.
Old Fri Mar 10, 2006, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Georgia High School Association started using 2 hand reporting (for double digit numbers) this year. Walk and talk.
Old Fri Mar 10, 2006, 11:52pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas Aggie
I wish they'd quit doing that crap. I hate the way the NBA mechanics have filtered down to the college/prep level. I think we need to look different if for no other reason than we ARE different. There's too many people that think the rules for 7th grade and the NBA are the same. Sheesh, I had a guy argue with me for 5 minutes (I was sitting, waiting for my next game, otherwise, I'd have left) that we should only shoot one FT for a technical foul (this was back in the '90s when everyone south of the NBA shot 2 FTs). I couldn't convince him, even when my partner handed me his rule book and I showed him the text.

At any rate, it'd be one thing if there was a good reason to use two handed reporting or other NBA signals, but there isn't. One reason the NBA uses the mechanics it does is because it wants to be different from college/prep.
There's no reason to NOT walk and talk. Who needs to sprint to a "reporting" area? Clear the players and report.
Old Sat Mar 11, 2006, 02:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
Quote:
The SEC uses two hand reporting. They are experimenting with it.
I hate to tell you that you are wrong but you are. They are not experimenting with it at all. When Guthrie was there he didn't care how you reported, he just wanted guys to get plays right, and since he loves the officiating mechanics of the NBA alot of the guys he hired kind of fit that mold and went along with it. The two hand reporting you see is still coming from his time as supervisor of officials.