The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 27, 2016, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Officials protesting anthem–SCHSL speaks

All South Carolina High School League officials got this email...

MEMO Wednesday, October 26, 2016

To SCHSL Certified Officials,
I hope that each of you are doing well and enjoying the slight change in temperatures across our beautiful state. Traditionally, officials have been expected to stand for the playing of the National Anthem and address the American flag, also referred to as “Old Glory.” The expectations of the SCHSL and member schools are that SCHSL officials will continue to honor this tradition. However, with the recent social protests that are occurring during the National Anthem throughout our country, we realize there may be officials who may be considering this action during a SCHSL athletic event.
Therefore, if any official plans to make a political or social statement (words or actions) while on an assignment for one of our contests, he/she must contact our office in writing (email) no later than two days before the date of the scheduled contest so I may notify the school of your intent. Once the school has been notified of the planned action(s) to be taken by the official (s), the school will advise our office if they are able to provide adequate security. If the school decides the proposed action(s) by the official(s) risks crew or public safety, the official will be removed from the game as a precaution and we will re-assign the position to another official.
By this action, both First Amendment rights and safety issues are being protected and addressed. If you wish to share feedback on this topic, please do not hesitate to contact the SCHSL office immediately.
“The South Carolina High School League has been in existence for over 100 years…all while displaying a total respect and admiration to this country and the people who make it unique, generous and unbreakable. ALL people make the United States of America a family of many cultures and beliefs. It is the hope of the SCHSL that we continue to support one another while being proud Americans working as One Team. Athletics are meant to bring us together and highlight our strengths, skills and for lack of a better term, our hopes and dreams. We are truly better together,” states SCHSL Commissioner Jerome Singleton.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2016, 05:59am
Official Forum Member

I wish these organizations would stop throwing the First Amendment around. They obviously do not know what it means, nor do the protestors. 1A protects you from the government putting you in jail for your speech, any other entity can tell you to go pound sand.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2016, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

I got this email, too, and here are my thoughts:

Schools are not going to pay for extra security to protect an official who kneels or stands during the anthem. Not a chance that will happen, in my opinion.

I don't see this being an issue with any of the partners I work with and 99.9% of the officials statewide.

That being said, I think if an official wants to protest our national anthem, take the jackets back to the dressing room and wait there until the anthem is over. Then no attention is paid to the crew and the concerns about additional security are curtailed.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2016, 01:08pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post

That being said, I think if an official wants to protest our national anthem, take the jackets back to the dressing room and wait there until the anthem is over. Then no attention is paid to the crew and the concerns about additional security are curtailed.
I see that being the smart way to go about it. We don't kneel or sit at any time after we enter the confines of the court, so it brings way too much unneeded attention for an official to kneel during the national anthem.

Just excuse yourself to "use the restroom" or take the jackets back or just slip out into the hallway.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2016, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I see that being the smart way to go about it. We don't kneel or sit at any time after we enter the confines of the court, so it brings way too much unneeded attention for an official to kneel during the national anthem.

Just excuse yourself to "use the restroom" or take the jackets back or just slip out into the hallway.
I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but isn't this the point of a protest?
Old Thu Oct 27, 2016, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But then people won't know that they're protesting...
Old Thu Oct 27, 2016, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
I wish these organizations would stop throwing the First Amendment around. They obviously do not know what it means, nor do the protestors. 1A protects you from the government putting you in jail for your speech, any other entity can tell you to go pound sand.
I'm not a lawyer, but the SCHSL may be required to adhere to some level of First Amendment protection since it's not a completely private entity.

But, we're independent contractors (at least in form, not always in substance ), so I guess the SCHSL would have the right not to use our services for any reason it chooses.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2016, 02:00pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but isn't this the point of a protest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
But then people won't know that they're protesting...
Not necessarily. The first time Kaepernick "protested" (sat on the bench) nobody even knew he did it at the time, and he did not advertise it after the fact. Fans and the media are the ones who made a big deal about it days after the fact and brought it to the forefront, and then complained about the attention the subject was getting.

The gesture is against standing for the national anthem and honoring the flag for XYZ reason. I see it as less of a protest and more of a refusal to participate in a ritual or symbolic gesture they don't believe in.

Protests are not always designed to be "in your face". Often they are designed to create dialogue. An official refusing to participate in the national anthem proceedings would create dialogue amongst officials, and then branch out from there.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2016, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Not necessarily. The first time Kaepernick "protested" (sat on the bench) nobody even knew he did it at the time, and he did not advertise it after the fact. Fans and the media are the ones who made a big deal about it days after the fact and brought it to the forefront, and then complained about the attention the subject was getting.

The gesture is against standing for the national anthem and honoring the flag for XYZ reason. I see it as less of a protest and more of a refusal to participate in a ritual or symbolic gesture they don't believe in.

Protests are not always designed to be "in your face". Often they are designed to create dialogue. An official refusing to participate in the national anthem proceedings would create dialogue amongst officials, and then branch out from there.
While a protest might not be in your face, the point of a protest is to make your point and draw attention to what you are protesting (moderated). And thr NFL is noticing, if they will admit to it, that its fans are protesting their games on TV by not watching.

Last edited by Adam; Thu Oct 27, 2016 at 02:38pm. Reason: moderated
Old Thu Oct 27, 2016, 02:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The NFL ratings may or may not be due to this issue. I understand sports TV ratings are down in Europe (soccer) as well, and I really doubt that has anything to do with some guy in San Francisco playing the wrong kind of football.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2016, 02:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Admin note:
This has so far been a very cordial discussion. If it stays that way, I see no reason to discontinue it. I'm only commenting here as a reminder to keep it professional, friendly, and respectful. This is the kind of discussion that has, historically, turned incandescent (more heat than light) rather quickly, so I thought the reminder was in order.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2016, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

This is just a bad idea. Suppose I kneel and one team kneels as well but the other team does not. All my calls for the kneeling team are now in question.

We have to look neutral on all issues when officiating. It is just not the right forum for protests, political or religious issues, or any other statement that gets in the way of our job.

If, as a referee, you need a forum for protest, find one outside the court.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2016, 02:42pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
While a protest might not be in your face, the point of a protest is to make your point and draw attention to what you are protesting (moderated). And thr NFL is noticing, if they will admit to it, that its fans are protesting their games on TV by not watching.
(moderated) The national anthem is not even shown on an overwhelming majority of the broadcasts, so I have no idea when there is or isn't a "protest" by players.

I'm not watching the NFL as much because, as much as I love the NFL, I don't have the desire to devote 3 nights, the occasional early Sunday morning from London, and all day Sunday afternoon to watching football anymore. Between Sunday Ticket, NFL Red Zone (my preferred viewing method), and repeated highlight shows on the NFL Network, how and when folks watch the NFL has changed. Plus last year was the NFL's apex ratings year, viewership has to peak at some point.

Last edited by Adam; Thu Oct 27, 2016 at 03:46pm. Reason: Out of control moderator
Old Thu Oct 27, 2016, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Although I do understand and am very concerned about the recent uptick of police brutality, treatment of Blacks and Whites by the police--I do not intend to demonstrate a protest by not kneeling or staying in the locker room prior during the playing/singing of the NA. I will put my hand over heart and sing/recite and be proud that I'm living in this fine country. My "protest" will be to get off my duff and make an effort work with local community groups that are trying to liason with these cops and establish civility in our great nation.
As for the NFL games, I don't watch them until the second half anyway--I just don't have the time to put in six hours on a Sunday to devote to football--too much other stuff to do.

Last edited by Kansas Ref; Thu Oct 27, 2016 at 03:34pm.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2016, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

I would not want to be on a crew with any official who would do this, for perception's and safety's sake. There are enough people in the gym who already hate us. There is no good reason for an official to draw more undo attention to the crew by pulling a stunt like this, and potentially putting the crew's safety in greater jeopardy–there are some crazy fans out there. Wrong time, wrong place, wrong occupation.

Go to the dressing room if you don't want to be a part of the national anthem.