The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 27, 2016, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
I would not want to be on a crew with any official who would do this, for perception's and safety's sake. There are enough people in the gym who already hate us. There is no good reason for an official to draw more undo attention to the crew by pulling a stunt like this ... Wrong time, wrong place, wrong occupation.
This.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2016, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
I wish these organizations would stop throwing the First Amendment around. They obviously do not know what it means, nor do the protestors. 1A protects you from the government putting you in jail for your speech, any other entity can tell you to go pound sand.
Who pays the officials and makes up the association? There's your state action. And jail isnt a requirement. And I'm not a fan of the protest,but, seeing Jacksonville punt every time I flip the channel to that game has more to do with me not watching. Bad football. Been a lot of bad boring games...

Last edited by BigCat; Thu Oct 27, 2016 at 08:45pm.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2016, 08:46pm
wife loves the goatee...

Recently worked a game with a partner who asked what I would do if he knelt during the Anthem.

What would you do?
Old Thu Oct 27, 2016, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRJ1960 View Post
Recently worked a game with a partner who asked what I would do if he knelt during the Anthem.

What would you do?
Do my job
Old Thu Oct 27, 2016, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Let's get a quick primer on the first amendment: it says CONGRESS shall make no law... Now, over time, that has been interpreted (wrongly in my view) to other government entities such as school districts by way of the 14th amendment. Without going into a lot of detail, the gist is this: the state can't punish you for what you say. The top tier of "protected" speech is political speech, but religious, commercial, personal, etc. is equally protected. Some argue, incorrectly, that "hate" speech isn't protected, but it is just like anything else. Also, actions such as flag burning have been protected under the first amendment. This is another bizarre, and incorrectly decided, case on the supreme court.

Even with protected speech, there can be time, place, and manner restrictions that are constitutional. Public schools are public property, but I can't go in there and start putting campaign signs up or start selling t-shirts without the school's permission. Even the kids can't disrupt the classroom just to say what they think. There's no issue in the school regulating things like this.

In general, government employees can be so regulated. A bailiff in a courtroom, for example, is going to get fired if he interrupts a trial telling everyone why they should vote for _____. He's in a public place but he doesn't have complete free speech rights.

We are there to officiate the game -- no more or no less. If you want to protest, go buy a ticket. State and assigning bodies are perfectly able to restrict ANY conduct by the contractors they hire to officiate. We're going to be in for a long night if a partner of mine tries to pull a stunt like this. I can't believe this so-called organization is telling people what they have to do in order to protest. Tell them they can't and if they can't handle that, then they are free to do other things.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2016, 08:24am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

What would you do?
Most you could do is address it with your assignor.

I would, as posted above, do my job. I would stand there with my hand over my heart like I've always done. I'm retired military. My dad and step-mom are retired military. My first wife is retired military. I'm paying my respect to the country that I love despite its many maladies and imperfections. What someone else does during the national anthem does not affect how feel and how I conduct myself.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Oct 28, 2016 at 08:30am.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2016, 08:29am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
...We're going to be in for a long night if a partner of mine tries to pull a stunt like this. I can't believe this so-called organization is telling people what they have to do in order to protest. Tell them they can't and if they can't handle that, then they are free to do other things.
A long night how? You're going to be a crappy ref that night b/c you'll be focusing on what your partner did during the pregame? You're going to give him a lecture after the game?

I am very interested in what this long night will consist of.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2016, 10:24am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post

I would, as posted above, do my job. I would stand there with my hand over my heart like I've always done. I'm retired military. My dad and step-mom are retired military. My first wife is retired military. I'm paying my respect to the country that I love despite its many maladies and imperfections. What someone else does during the national anthem does not affect how feel and how I conduct myself.
Exactly as I would do. And I would still have a beer with my partner after the game.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2016, 11:00am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post

Even though I am not a retired military, but my father was and is buried in a veteran cemetery. I have for some time now put my hand over my heart as an official for that reason. It really has nothing to do with what I do as a personal citizen when hearing the same anthem. But that is what I would do. I do not think this is worth the fight, even if I might agree with the overall protest on some level. My job is to officiate the game, not make any major statements. I can express my opinion in other ways.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 28, 2016, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

There is a time and place for everything. In my opinion, using your very visible presence in stripes on the court to make your own (adult) personal political statement before a kids sporting event is the wrong time and place. The game is about the kids and not you. If the kids want to express themselves by taking a knee during the anthem, fine - the game is their event and forum. The game is not about me and my personal political views. I am only there to help the kids have a better game experience.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2016, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What would you do?
Work the game...what else is there to do?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Oct 28, 2016, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

NCHSAA: No set protocol for protests - News - The Daily News - Jacksonville, NC

First I've heard of this incident in NC.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2016, 02:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Work the game...what else is there to do?
I guess one could lie face first on the floor and throw a tantrum or something.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2016, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What would you do?
Ignore it. Completely.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Oct 28, 2016, 03:12pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I guess one could lie face first on the floor and throw a tantrum or something.
That would be effective in drawing attention away from the protester.