The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 10, 2014, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Cleveland Cavaliers refuses to respect the National Anthem

Dion Waiters informs NEOMG that he is a Muslim and plans to skip national anthems | cleveland.com

In the NBA Rules Book I found:
In the Comments On The Rules section:

H. PLAYER/TEAM CONDUCT AND DRESS
(1) Each player when introduced, prior to the game, must be uniformly dressed.
(2) Players, coaches and trainers are to stand and line up in a dignified posture along
the sidelines or on the foul line during the playing of the National Anthem.

Is this an actual rule? What is the penalty? Would it be a Technical Foul? I do not see a remedy for violating this.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2014, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, I just found Rule 12

RULE NO. 12—FOULS AND PENALTIES

A. Technical Foul

Section V—Conduct
a. An official may assess a technical foul, without prior warning, at any time. A technical
foul(s) may be assessed to any player on the court or anyone seated on the bench for conduct
which, in the opinion of an official, is detrimental to the game. The technical foul must
be charged to an individual. A technical foul cannot be assessed for physical contact when
the ball is alive.

So, clearly an official in the NBA could blow the whistle on this goof. Opinions anyone?
Old Mon Nov 10, 2014, 04:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

I hope the hell not. And I would not even want to call anything for this. I am not paying attention to every player during introductions that seriously.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 10, 2014, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, it looks like the guy was either misuderstood

Or, he changed his mind.
Cleveland Cavaliers guard Dion Waiters clarifies remarks regarding his pregame ritual | cleveland.com

I still would like to know what your opinions are on what an NBA official should do if a guy were to do this.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2014, 04:14pm
Stubborn Member

I think I'd leave it up to the league to impose a fine or something. But I'm not an NBA official, so maybe they think differently.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2014, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
Or, he changed his mind.
Cleveland Cavaliers guard Dion Waiters clarifies remarks regarding his pregame ritual | cleveland.com

I still would like to know what your opinions are on what an NBA official should do if a guy were to do this.
The officials wouldn't do anything as far as in game penalties...if there is any punishment to be had, it would be imposed by the league.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Nov 10, 2014, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

I tend to think they wouldn't but, they certainly could do so.

If some creep decides to call attention to himself by refusing to stand, I think he is requesting a Technical Foul.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2014, 07:21pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

If some creep decides to call attention to himself by refusing to stand, I think he is requesting a Technical Foul.
It's a great country. You're entitled to that opinion.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2014, 07:38pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

1st Amendment protections are one of things that make this country great.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2014, 07:41pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It's a great country. You're entitled to that opinion.
Just like Waiters has the right to not stand for the National Anthem. I don't like it, but there it is. Although, the NBA has the right to punish its employees (like the players) for not abiding by their rules. Just like any other company.

Hmm

Makes me think of one of my favorite speeches from a movie...

Quote:
America isn't easy. America is advanced citizenship. You gotta want it bad, 'cause it's gonna put up a fight. It's gonna say "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours. You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country can't just be a flag; the symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms. Then, you can stand up and sing about the "land of the free".
Old Mon Nov 10, 2014, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
1st Amendment protections are one of things that make this country great.

I am not advocating his arrest. He has the "right" to not stand. He does not have the First Amendment protection to intentionally and publicly embarrass his employer without consequences. The NBA and the Cavaliers also have rights.

In addition, The First Amendment does not protect him against breaking the rules of the NBA.

he could tell a referee he thinks he is stupid. Is it illegal? No. Will there be consequences? Of course.

Last edited by jwwashburn; Mon Nov 10, 2014 at 08:31pm. Reason: clarification
Old Mon Nov 10, 2014, 08:51pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I am not advocating his arrest. He has the "right" to not stand. He does not have the First Amendment protection to intentionally and publicly embarrass his employer without consequences. The NBA and the Cavaliers also have rights.

In addition, The First Amendment does not protect him against breaking the rules of the NBA.

he could tell a referee he thinks he is stupid. Is it illegal? No. Will there be consequences? Of course.
Methinks you doth protest too much.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2014, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on your perspective, First Amendment protections are limited in private employment settings. Main protection is against government taking action against you for what you say. However, Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act protects "sincerely held" religous beliefs.

Don't know enough about his claim but pretty sure NBA wouldn't want referees making the decision if his belief was sincere or not...thx
Old Mon Nov 10, 2014, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe, I'm naive or stupid, but what does the National Anthem have to do with being Muslim? What does it have to do with any religion?
Old Mon Nov 10, 2014, 10:51pm
AremRed

Don't be a plumber.
Closed Thread