The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 26, 2016, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Are games really so long that we need to find ways to speed them up by dumping the free throws?
For about the last 15 years, yeah.

Free throws are obsolete or they are becoming that way. The problem with the free throw is that coaches don't bother with it with their team and it ceases to be a penalty when it isn't made. There needs to be a deterrent to fouling. I've suggested for many years that, like in football, a team should be able to "decline" the free throw penalty and keep possession of the ball. This would all but eliminate fouling at the end of the game. If it didn't you could add a 5 second runoff for fouls committed by the team not in possession in the last minute -- possibly limiting a runoff to fouls that occur in the backcourt. THAT would eliminate fouling to stop the clock.

I would also eliminate the 1 and 1 and go to 2 shots at 7 fouls (or less) and 3 shots at 10 fouls. A team that can shoot 3's AND foul while on defense has a huge advantage over a team that can only shoot 2 free throws.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2016, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

I believe FIBS used to allow teams to decline freer throws many years ago.

While I think the NBA needs an intentional foul rule akin to HS and NCAA to get rid of the really silly off the ball fouls, I don't think there is a problem in general. There have been efforts to make more fouls intentional (2 plus th ball), but the game reverts back. Contrary to your view, it seems that the overwhelming majority of folk see fouls at the end of the game as part of the drama of the game. (And in watching my son play HS games, I don't see the fouling at the end of the game as any different from how it was when I played 30
years ago.)
Old Thu Oct 27, 2016, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

I'd be in favor of the old 3-to-make-2 in end of game situations to discourage teams who are down 10+ points from just postponing the inevitable.

Down 1 with 5 seconds left...fouling is a reasonable strategy. Down 10 with 30 seconds left...please spare us.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2016, 09:44am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
For about the last 15 years, yeah.
That has not been my experience. Averaging around an hour and a half just isn't that long at the high school level.

I'm not talking about nor do I care about college or NBA for this discussion and that's not where my question was directed.