The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 15, 2016, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

dump the free throw

Hi, I'm not an official, just a fan who enjoys watching basketball on TV. I have a question.

Why, exactly, does basketball need the free throw? Ok, allegedly it penalizes fouls. Fair enough. It also stops the game, is uninteresting, exaggerates the importance of a modest skill, makes close games tedious or even painful to watch at the end, and enables the absurd "hacka" strategy that has been criticized by so many fans and commentators. Why not just get rid of it?

What is so all-fired exciting, or even interesting, about stopping the game while 6 guys line up in parade formation and one of them takes a shot that most experienced players make with ease? It is a 19th century relic that was never intended to dominate the game, as it so often does now.

Ok, you will ask, Ron, what will you do instead to penalize fouls? I have a modest proposal, borrowing a very intelligent idea from hockey.

After a foul is whistled, the offending player takes any position he wants in the back court. He must remain there until the ball repasses the center stripe. This is, in effect, a penalty box, and the defense must play 4 v 5 until the possession changes. Just whistle the foul, remove the player from the front court, inbound the ball, and play on. Simple and effective.

-- Ron K.
Old Sat Oct 15, 2016, 12:30am
Do not give a damn!!

I am going to assume that they wanted a way to gain points by penalizing a foul action or it would continue to take place to prevent constant contact. I just believe it is a way to not allow a balance between the offense and the defense.

That is all I got.

Peace
Old Sat Oct 15, 2016, 05:19am
Courageous When Prudent

Coaches, ADs, and commissionsers make the rules, we just enforce them.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old Sat Oct 15, 2016, 08:46am
Stubborn Member

Your proposal would negatively affect the defense, as they would be less aggressive as to prevent a 5 on 4 disadvantage. I know... same goes for hockey. However, a foul in hockey that leads to a 5 on 4 disadvantage is much more egregious than most fouls in basketball (aka "less common"). And while watching teams score is fun and all, plenty of people love to see good defensive play (they are still replaying LeBron's block in Game 7 of last year's NBA Finals). And like it or not, defense is a part of the game.

Field goals can be boring, but they are part of football. Icing is not a part of international hockey, but is a part of the NHL, although it can be boring to stop play for another face-off. Having to sit through four pitches meant to intentionally walk a batter is boring, but that's a part of baseball, and there have been times when things happen during those four pitches.

I understand that free throws are not exciting, but it's hardly a big deal. Certainly not one big enough to warrant such a drastic change.

Last edited by BryanV21; Sat Oct 15, 2016 at 08:48am.
Old Sat Oct 15, 2016, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Your proposal can give the fouling team a big advantage if they then force a turnover whilst playing 4-5. It's an easy long pass for a basket to the cherry-picker.

If you want to implement this, have the player stand behind the defensive end-line until some particular action happens.
Old Sun Oct 16, 2016, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

5 on 4 works in hockey because its rare as Bryan said and, more importantly IMO, there is a goalie in front of a net that sits on the ice. And they play on ICE. Scoring is still hard. 5 on 4 in basketball wouldn't be the same as hockey. Wide open easy shot whenever u wanted in basketball. If you don't like FTs I'd say just do it like summer ball, after so many, give them a point and move on.

Frankly, as you have said, FTs have been part of the game forever. They have stood the test of time. I'm not saying this to be mean to you but I care more about the game and the players who play it than I do you or any other fan. FTs are basketball. Fundamental. If Shaq could make FTs we wouldn't have hack a SHaq. To be a 90 plus percent free throw shooter takes effort. A lot of it. It isn't easy. I know the player who does it shoots 500 a day at least. I respect that. Not exciting but I know what it takes to be really good at it.
Old Sun Oct 16, 2016, 12:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Set The Flux Capacitor To December, 1891 ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
FTs have been part of the game forever.
Not true. In Dr. Naismith’s Original Thirteen Rules Of Basketball there were "power plays":

Rule 5. No shouldering, holding, pushing, tripping, or striking in any way the person of an opponent shall be
allowed; the first infringement of this rule by any player shall count as a foul, the second shall disqualify
him until the next goal is made, or, if there was evident intent to injure the person, for the whole of the game,
no substitute allowed.

Ask Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. He was actually there at the time.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Oct 16, 2016 at 01:00pm.
Old Sun Oct 16, 2016, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Not true. In Dr. Naismith’s Original Thirteen Rules Of Basketball there were "power plays":

Rule 5. No shouldering, holding, pushing, tripping, or striking in any way the person of an opponent shall be
allowed; the first infringement of this rule by any player shall count as a foul, the second shall disqualify
him until the next goal is made, or, if there was evident intent to injure the person, for the whole of the game,
no substitute allowed.

Ask Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. He was actually there at the time.
Ok. Almost forever. I'm sure u were there too. Probably nappin.😼
Old Sun Oct 16, 2016, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Ok. Almost forever. I'm sure u were there too. Probably nappin.😼
https://www.usab.com/youth/news/2010...ree-throw.aspx
Old Thu Oct 20, 2016, 10:26am
Often wrong never n doubt

I wouldn't mind shooting one freethrow for all the points to speed up play.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2016, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
I wouldn't mind shooting one freethrow for all the points to speed up play.
The fall league my son plays in sort of does this until the last two minutes of the game. Their rules are:
-foul on a shot that goes in, just add the point
-for other FT scenarios, it's one FT to get both points
It's a great rule when the point of the games is experience and its a running clock.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2016, 11:02am
Archaic Power Monger

Are games really so long that we need to find ways to speed them up by dumping the free throws?
Old Mon Oct 24, 2016, 11:18am
Keeper of the HAMMER

When players can no longer make free throws, coaches will remove them from the game.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2016, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

How about 3 seconds closely guarded or holding the ball?

How about giving them a choice not to shoot Free throws and just get the ball out of bounds? And only adding 5 more seconds to the shot clock rather then resetting it? This hack a shack is stupid. Foul a guy involved with the play and actual fouls. Its a disgrace to the NBA to allow someone not involved with a play to go to the line. Just to put a guy on the line.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2016, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
When players can no longer make free throws, coaches will remove them from the game.
Remove the players, or the free throws?