The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 03, 2016, 03:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
You might want to change your #1. By definition, there is no player or team control during a jump ball. thx 4-12-6
A1 grabs the ball right off the tip (doesn't even bounce). First touch is the act of catching the ball. This is gaining control "during" the jump ball, thus ending the jump ball by gaining control.

A1 grabs the ball after it bounces off of at least one jumper or the floor. This is gaining control after the jump ball has ended.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2016, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
A1 grabs the ball right off the tip (doesn't even bounce). First touch is the act of catching the ball. This is gaining control "during" the jump ball, thus ending the jump ball by gaining control.

A1 grabs the ball after it bounces off of at least one jumper or the floor. This is gaining control after the jump ball has ended.
i understand factually what your saying/describing. i said he might want to change it because the rule says word for word that there is no team or player control "during" a jump ball. id just not say "during" because of the way the rule is written. The rule drafters, by the way they have written the rule, have declared that the act that ENDS the jump ball, in your example the grab/possession by A1, is not considered "during." Everything before that moment is during.....

Last edited by BigCat; Mon Oct 03, 2016 at 04:31pm.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2016, 04:57pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
This play is being over thought.

The NFHS, NCAA Men's/Women's, and FIBA Rules state how the AP Arrow is initially set and there are three ways.

Situation #1: The situation that happens about 99.99% of the time: A2 is the first Player to gain Play Control of the Ball during a Jump Ball or after a Jump Ball has ended.

Situation #2: The AP Arrow is set toward Team B's Basket (Team A's Basket under FIBA Rules), when the Ball is placed at the disposal of A1 for the Free Throws for a Common Foul committed before a Player from either Team gained PC of the Ball during a Jump Ball or after a Jump Ball has ended. This Situation can only happen at the start of an Overtime Period.

Situation #3: The AP Arrow is set toward Team B's Basket (Team A's Basket under FIBA Rules), when the Ball is placed at the disposal of the Thrower, A1, for any Situation that is not either Situation #1 or Situation #2.

MTD, Sr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
You might want to change your #1. By definition, there is no player or team control during a jump ball. thx 4-12-6

I did not say that there was PC during a JB. I said gain PC during a JB, which ends the JB.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Oct 03, 2016, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
I think there are a lot more common occurrences/events to go over with a first year official that would beneficial rather than burden them with a rather rare scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I don't think this is a scenario we need to burden a first year official with. There's enough to learn before we start discussing plays they might, maybe, possibly see once in their entire careers.

Respectfully disagree for two reasons:

1. We're all benefiting from this discussion because of the inquisitiveness of a rookie. Good for the rookie. I'd work with him any day because I can tell he cares about his craft.

2. Scenarios like this, though rare, do more than just help us through a once-in-a-career situation. They challenge us to contemplate the logic of definitions and their connections to the rest of the rules. This, IMHO, is where the real learning value lies, for rookies and veterans alike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Mon Oct 03, 2016, 10:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Respectfully disagree for two reasons:

1. We're all benefiting from this discussion because of the inquisitiveness of a rookie. Good for the rookie. I'd work with him any day because I can tell he cares about his craft.

2. Scenarios like this, though rare, do more than just help us through a once-in-a-career situation. They challenge us to contemplate the logic of definitions and their connections to the rest of the rules. This, IMHO, is where the real learning value lies, for rookies and veterans alike.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be discussed here in this forum. Rookies who participate here have a leg up on the competition with regard to rules knowledge.

I'm saying there's no reason to bring situations like this up in pregame meetings, or in large group rules clinics. There are ton of other rules that need to be addressed first. With a rookie, I'd rather discuss common myths and misconceptions.

Talk to a rookie about LGP. Talk to her about positioning. Discuss the fact that you can't travel unless you're holding the ball. Discuss the standards for calling a foul vs letting the contact go uncalled. Talk about the merits of a patient whistle.

Until those things are down pat, we're wasting time talking about the sasquatches of the basketball world.

No need to discuss multiple fouls, indirect technical fouls, the rare situation in the OP, or other big foot plays. For those plays, it's easy for the veteran to initiate a quick conference and take control.

Yes, there is benefit to discussing these plays, I just don't see a need for most rookies to focus their efforts here. When the exception asks questions in a forum like this, then by all means have the discussion.

My main disagreement is with the idea that young officials need to understand these situations before stepping on the court.

That's just my opinion, though. I think reasonable people can disagree.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2016, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

I'm with you on this; this kind of breakdown is great on the forum or at the bar after the game. It doesn't belong in a pre-game nor need it take up 30 minutes of an association meeting.

Old Tue Oct 04, 2016, 09:13am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
The arrow doesn't get switched since it hasn't been set. ....
Damn, you beat me to it.
Old Tue Oct 04, 2016, 09:16am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
*But that ''first and only time" this first year Official has to adjudicate upon this type of occurrence/event could occur in the very first game that they officiate --thus, worthwhile to at least offer our input no?
True story. Very first paid game I ever worked was military intramural game. Opening tap leads to a breakaway lay-up for A1, B1 slaps the opposite side of the backboard as the ball is going through the basket. I call a T. My veteran partner over-rules me.

I believe it's the only time in my career I've whistled a T for that.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Oct 04, 2016 at 09:24am.