The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 29, 2016, 12:19pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
That would be my preference, or "at the disposal." Basically once the 5 second throw in count starts.

But I recognize I'm in the minority.
Whoa there. Uh-oh. Wait a second. That's not correct. Rule 6-5-4: "The direction of the AP arrow is reversed immediately after an AP throw-in ends. An AP throw-in ends when the throw-in ends as in 4-42-5."

The scoreboard operator switches the arrow when you hand the ball to the thrower-inner bad things can happen.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2016, 12:20pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
You're not only in the minority, you're incorrect. 6-4-4: "The direction of the possession arrow is reversed immediately after an AP throw-in ends. An AP throw-in ends when the throw-in ends as in 4-42-5."
He knows that. He's saying he preferred the rule said the arrow is switched when it is at the disposal. He isn't implying that's what it says now.

Last edited by OKREF; Thu Sep 29, 2016 at 12:23pm.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2016, 12:35pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Oops, that's an incorrect minority, isn't it? Rule 6-4-4: "The direction of the AP arrow is reversed immedately after an AP throw-in ends...when the throw-in ends as in 4-42-5."

Right?

Bad things can happen when an over-eager arrow-operator switches the AP arrow prior to the end of the AP throw-in.
We both understand the rule as it is currently written. Adam is saying he wished the rule would be rewritten to state that the arrow would change when it is at the disposal of the thrower in. Neither one of us are saying that is what it states now. Actually, changing it to the way Adam is stating would cause less problems.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2016, 12:39pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
We both understand the rule as it is currently written. Adam is saying he wished the rule would be rewritten to state that the arrow would change when it is at the disposal of the thrower in. Neither one of us are saying that is what it states now. Actually, changing it to the way Adam is stating would cause less problems.
Thanx for your clarification on Adam's preference.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2016, 12:49pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
That would be my preference, or "at the disposal." Basically once the 5 second throw in count starts.

But I recognize I'm in the minority.
Quote:
Thanx for your clarification on Adam's preference.
It was pretty clear right here.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2016, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sorry, I meant 6-4-5, which says, "The opportunity to make an AP throw-in is lost if the throw-in team violates. . . . If the defensive team commits a violation during the throw-in, the possession arrow is not switched."

So, even if the word "legally" is removed from 4-42-5a, what 6-4-5 says means everything is the same as it's always been.

I prefer that they had left the word "legally" there, but someone must have said, "Hey, since 6-4-5 covers this eventuality, let's just remove this word." Duh.

Does that make sense to you?
There it is. Ok that makes sense now. We kept looking at 6.4.2 last night thinking "what the heck is this guy talking about" ha. Man I just don't understand why they would take the word "legally" out. What does that gain? If anything, it made it more confusing to me. But I see it now.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2016, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

I honestly think the reason I didn't read that part of the book while testing last night is because that's right where that "referee magazine" advertisement is and I must have kept skipping over it since it was the very next page. ha.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2016, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

If it' s correct that mean's I missed a different one on the test. I have no clue which one I could have missed. That was seriously the only one I was back and forth on.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2016, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sorry, I meant 6-4-5, which says, "The opportunity to make an AP throw-in is lost if the throw-in team violates. . . . If the defensive team commits a violation during the throw-in, the possession arrow is not switched."
Maybe it all hinges on the meaning of the word "during." If the kick ends the throw-in, then the kick wasn't "during" the throw-in (it was simultaneous with the end).

But I do agree that I liked it better the old way, and that a change like this should not be unannounced.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2016, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Revised Rule 4-42-5a

Quote:

So, even if the word "legally" is removed from 4-42-5a, what 6-4-5 says means everything is the same as it's always been.

I prefer that they had left the word "legally" there, but someone must have said, "Hey, since 6-4-5 covers this eventuality, let's just remove this word." Duh.

Does that make sense to you?

To me, yes. Well stated. Your hypothesis is that the editors may have been removing redundant language.

So IF the test question that Shooter14 missed is indeed the one he thinks, then the NFHS test editors have managed to outsmart themselves. I guess it wouldn't be the first time.

If he missed a different question, then these last six hours of conversation have been meaningless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by crosscountry55; Thu Sep 29, 2016 at 01:32pm.
Old Wed Oct 05, 2016, 04:07am
Official Forum Member

Let's think through this logically (not that NFHS is ever logical).

Assuming that this was indeed the question Shooter14 missed, why would the test editors have included an unannounced change on the test?
Old Wed Oct 05, 2016, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
Let's think through this logically (not that NFHS is ever logical).

Assuming that this was indeed the question Shooter14 missed, why would the test editors have included an unannounced change on the test?
You should have asked for the winning power ball numbers for later in the week. probably an easier question to answer...
Old Wed Oct 05, 2016, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

This all depends upon what the meaning of "is" is.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Oct 05, 2016, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
This all depends upon what the meaning of "is" is.
Are Bill Clinton jokes topical again, or should we wait for November 8?
Old Mon Oct 17, 2016, 09:38am
NFHS Official

I just got my test back. Here is the question.

During an alternating-possession throw-in by A1, B2 intentionally kicks the throw-in pass. A1 will be awarded a new throw-in opportunity, but the arrow will remain pointed in the direction of A’s basket.

Answer--False

Explanation
6-4-5;4-42-5