The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Today, Officiating.com published Peter Osborne's take on the catch/no catch in game two of the Angels/Sox game.

Not one to be left out, Tee worked diligently overnight and produced his version of the play. You'll find it amusing and enlightening.

Question: Who was to blame for the screwed-up call? I suggest Tee's answer will surprise you.

Oh, we're publishing it on Monday. To do that, we had to move another column - one by Tee Alan, as it turned out.

Amendment:

At the request of Tee, we're going to make his column a free article. After all, it shows that Officiating.com can react immediately to controversy and current events. Try finding anything even close to that response in print media.

In keeping with Tee's article, on Monday we're making Peter's article also free: Anyone will be able to read those pieces.
Old Sat Oct 15, 2005, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Well,

"Amendment:

At the request of Tee, we're going to make his column a free article. After all, it shows that Officiating.com can react immediately to controversy and current events. Try finding anything even close to that response in print media.

In keeping with Tee's article, on Monday we're making Peter's article also free: Anyone will be able to read those pieces."
-------------------------

Actually folks should thank my friend GarthB that germinated the idea.
Old Sat Oct 15, 2005, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Well,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
"Amendment:

In keeping with Tee's article, on Monday we're making Peter's article also free: Anyone will be able to read those pieces."
-------------------------

Actually folks should thank my friend GarthB that germinated the idea.
I could care less what any media people say, I care what Tee, Garth & other's opinions are....
Old Sat Oct 15, 2005, 02:20pm

The Media

Who cares what articles are written by the media on this subject? Most of them are totally biased against umpires to start with, and to paraphrase Jocko, know nothing about umpiring, and very little about baseball for that matter. I would welcome any articles written by fellow officials, like Tee and Peter.

Edit for punctuation
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Oct 15, 2005, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Mills
Officiating.com does react immediately to current events, but that doesn't make it anything special. That's o.k. There are literally thousands of media outlets--print, web, TV, radio--that do the same, and each thinks itself special, too.
yep, and all all of those thousands of media outlets have the experience peter and tee have. im sure ted koppel worked NCAA games and surely the local writers in my town newspaper have worked games at the MLB level.
Old Sat Oct 15, 2005, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

I'm waiting for Entertainment Tonight to cover the story because they know something about everything and everyone. It has to be true for them to cover it. The best one will be when the "Inquirer" reports on the spaceship that was parked outside the stadium, that Eddings went home on. Of course McCarver and Buck came in on the same ship.
Old Sat Oct 15, 2005, 09:16pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress

Today, Officiating.com published Peter Osborne's take on the catch/no catch in game two of the Angels/Sox game...

...After all, (making Tee's article available for free) shows that Officiating.com can react immediately to controversy and current events. Try finding anything even close to that response in print media.
Let's see, Osborne's opinion piece about an October 12 event appeared on October 14. I read, with varying degrees of thoroughness, six Michigan newspapers on October 14. Each had at least one opinion piece on the same topic as did Osborne. Two were merely variations of a theme that appeared in columns on October 13. I'll wager the same result is apparent in nearly every state in America.

Officiating.com does react immediately to current events, but that doesn't make it anything special. That's o.k. There are literally thousands of media outlets--print, web, TV, radio--that do the same, and each thinks itself special, too.

I can hardly wait for the free articles; I always read them. They are like Time, National Review, Newsweek, and Mother Jones: They're sufficiently entertaining and informative that I read them at the public library whenever I'm there, but I never find them valuable enough to part with money for the right.
How many of those "writers" are umpires? Or is the opinion of a writer for the Detroit Free Press just as important or interesting as an NCAA D-I umpire?
Old Sat Oct 15, 2005, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Today, Officiating.com published Peter Osborne's take on the catch/no catch in game two of the Angels/Sox game...

...After all, (making Tee's article available for free) shows that Officiating.com can react immediately to controversy and current events. Try finding anything even close to that response in print media.
Let's see, Osborne's opinion piece about an October 12 event appeared on October 14. I read, with varying degrees of thoroughness, six Michigan newspapers on October 14. Each had at least one opinion piece on the same topic as did Osborne. Two were merely variations of a theme that appeared in columns on October 13. I'll wager the same result is apparent in nearly every state in America.

I can hardly wait for the free articles; I always read them. They are like Time, National Review, Newsweek, and Mother Jones: They're sufficiently entertaining and informative that I read them at the public library whenever I'm there, but I never find them valuable enough to part with money for the right.
I inadvertently omitted a word, one that changes the meaning of my message. I meant to type: in magazine print media. Of course, I was referring to the other guys in Wisconsin.

It's obvious - and noteworthy - that the only international sports magazine capable of commenting the day of a sports event is Officiating.com.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Today, Officiating.com published Peter Osborne's take on the catch/no catch in game two of the Angels/Sox game.

Not one to be left out, Tee worked diligently overnight and produced his version of the play. You'll find it amusing and enlightening.

Question: Who was to blame for the screwed-up call? I suggest Tee's answer will surprise you.

Oh, we're publishing it on Monday. To do that, we had to move another column - one by Tee Alan, as it turned out.

Amendment:

In keeping with Tee's article, on Monday we're making Peter's article also free: Anyone will be able to read those pieces.
Good effort, Carl. I see from some posts that it's still true that no good deed goes unpunished. Too bad.

You know that I have expressed an opinion not always flattering of the paid site. It has always been based on the content and the professional manner, or lack thereof, in which I perceived that it has been presented.

But at the same time, I've always applauded when the site has moved in a positive direction. I applaud you again,now.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Quote:

Amendment:

Good effort, Carl. I see from some posts that it's still true that no good deed goes unpunished. Too bad.

You know that I have expressed an opinion not always flattering of the paid site. It has always been based on the content and the professional manner, or lack thereof, in which I perceived that it has been presented.

But at the same time, I've always applauded when the site has moved in a positive direction. I applaud you again,now.
From Casablanca, Warner Brothers, 1942:

Victor Laszlo to Rick Blaine: "Welcome back to the fight!"
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

I inadvertently omitted a word, one that changes the meaning of my message. I meant to type: in magazine print media. Of course, I was referring to the other guys in Wisconsin.

It's obvious - and noteworthy - that the only international sports magazine capable of commenting the day of a sports event is Officiating.com.
From The Wizard of Oz, MGM, 1939:

The Doorman to Scarecrow: "Well, bust my buttons! Why didn't you say that in the first place? That's a horse of a different color!"

I love TOF. Whenever I start to think the world might be a rational, logical place, I can come here for a reality check. To wit:

CC: "What makes us great is, we can do 'A', and no one else can. I dare you to try to prove otherwise!"

JM: "Easier done than said; many others also do 'A'."

Typical OF rejoinder: "Oh, YEAH? Who cares if they can do 'A'; they can't do 'B'!"

Sorry, Tee: It is worth a little effort for a little man.

As any intelligent reader of this site knows - and even you - our media competition is Referee magazine. Everybody who read my remarks - even you - knew what I meant.

[Edited by Carl Childress on Oct 18th, 2005 at 12:47 AM]
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

my 2 cents

Although I am not a high tech user......I am on the computer/internet for my job all day 6-7 days a week. I travel for my job and recently returned from Europe from a 10 day trip (saw Cuba beat the Netherlands 3-1)

I'm off to Japan for 10 days next month ( too late for the Hanshin Tigers games though)...I can not get my information in print form. If I have to wait for my mail to catch up with me or me to be home, its old news......

Its why I am a subscriber. I do not always like or get some of the writings..but on the whole I am very satisfied.....I can find something of value in every article. I do not care what "non umpires" write about officiating... If you havent been with us out there on the diamond.... well, you get it...
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Re: my 2 cents

Quote:
Originally posted by piaa_ump
Although I am not a high tech user......I am on the computer/internet for my job all day 6-7 days a week. I travel for my job and recently returned from Europe from a 10 day trip (saw Cuba beat the Netherlands 3-1)

I'm off to Japan for 10 days next month ( too late for the Hanshin Tigers games though)...I can not get my information in print form. If I have to wait for my mail to catch up with me or me to be home, its old news......

Its why I am a subscriber. I do not always like or get some of the writings..but on the whole I am very satisfied.....I can find something of value in every article. I do not care what "non umpires" write about officiating... If you havent been with us out there on the diamond.... well, you get it...
Thanks for the kind words. Email me at [email protected].
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Wink Am I Missing Something?

What is Mills talking about? I don't get it.

Ahhhh. Does he mean he's going to start working from "B" instead of "A"?

Bob P.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

"You think you can call that from 'B'? Well, I can call it from 'C'!!"