The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 25, 2016, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

In Utah both boys and girls do this. I called one or two but soon realized no one else called it and I was seen as picking on players.

If the defense is close and I hop to a new spot mere inches away then shoot I have disadvantaged myself and give the defense time to block the shot. Bunny hop hurts the player. I think it is not called because it didnt allow the offense and advantage. It is clearly a travel to have the ball, jump to a new spot and then shot. NO one calls it in this state. I was wondering the same thing and came up with the theory its really hurting the offense and gave no advantage so no one calls it..

Thanks for bring this up before I did.

Now if they are inside the 3 arc and jump behind it that I will call and dont get much grief.

Happy Easter everyone!
Old Sat Mar 26, 2016, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

This bunny hope, or step in, is a big advantage to the shooter. It helps them put more arc under their shot and I guarantee you their shot will be worse without it.
Old Fri Apr 01, 2016, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

For all of you accomplished officials, I sincerely thank you for your well-considered inputs/comments on my issue. Let me first say that it was re-assuring to see other officials had observed the same issue and I will say that going forward in my officiating vocation I will aim to implement the proper "travel call" when said action occurs.

For the record, I did speak with three female basketball officials--all who do it at the NF level--and they collectively said that they wished more officials would call this a "travel" on the girls/women's side instead of "kicking the rule". They said that girls do this "gathering" action in order to gain more force on their shot (which several of you had already postulated); however, the action is nevertheless a "travel". I then asked them "why" they had never /seldom called it a travel since they were also females who could ostensibly "identify" with other females? They responded by saying something to the effect of "wishing they had the temerity to make that call" despite the cultural bias towards kicking the rule.

Thanks a ton for all of you'alls comments.
Old Fri Apr 01, 2016, 03:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
@ BR_the "legal jumpstop" consideration is not in effect here as there was no dribbling action that preceded the jump shot. In the case I'm describing the series of actions is: catch ball, make a small hop step [i.e., 'gather'], then shoot. Thanks for you input tho.
This is just not true. The rule is the same whether coming off a dribble or catching a pass. I think we need to know that it's actually a travel before addressing why it's not being called. Based on what's been described, I question the rules knowledge of those who are saying it's a travel they just don't have the guts to call.

What exactly does this move entail and why is it a travel?
Old Fri Apr 01, 2016, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

@ ADAM: please peruse posts # 8, 11, 13, for the described actions for which a 'travel' is deliberated. Thanks for your critical assay of said actions.
Old Fri Apr 01, 2016, 05:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
@ ADAM: please peruse posts # 8, 11, 13, for the described actions for which a 'travel' is deliberated. Thanks for your critical assay of said actions.
Those posts don't really tell me what you're seeing, other than that you think if a player wasn't dribbling they are not allowed to do a "jump stop" after the catch. Since that assumption is wrong (there is no rule difference between a player gathering a dribble and a player catching a pass), I'm left with the assumption that what is being done is legal.

If a player catches a pass with a foot on the floor, she may jump off that foot as long as she lands on both simultaneously.
If she catches the pass with both feet in the air, she may jump of the first foot that lands and then land on both simultaneously.

These are the plays I'm perceiving when you talk about a little "hop" in the set up for the shot. It's perfectly legal, which provides a different explanation for why it's not being called.
Old Fri Apr 01, 2016, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

I know what you r talking about. Two handed catch with two feet or toes on ground and short hop to shoot. It is travel. If it is done quick enough maybe official can consider player is not holding ball. It is travel but I avoid calling it unless you, my partner, are calling it on other end. Or, player is so slow that everybody on planet sees the travel.
Old Fri Apr 01, 2016, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Those posts don't really tell me what you're seeing, other than that you think if a player wasn't dribbling they are not allowed to do a "jump stop" after the catch. Since that assumption is wrong (there is no rule difference between a player gathering a dribble and a player catching a pass), I'm left with the assumption that what is being done is legal.

If a player catches a pass with a foot on the floor, she may jump off that foot as long as she lands on both simultaneously.
If she catches the pass with both feet in the air, she may jump of the first foot that lands and then land on both simultaneously.

These are the plays I'm perceiving when you talk about a little "hop" in the set up for the shot. It's perfectly legal, which provides a different explanation for why it's not being called.
The way I viewed the play based on the description was a player with two feet on the floor catches a pass. After the catch of the ball, they then step with one foot, then step with the other, and shoot. Essentially the first step establishes pivot foot, then once that foot is lifted and set down we have a travel.

Of course if they are stepping into this as they are receiving the ball, this is probably legal but based on what foot becomes the pivot. I watch how players receive passes and step into shots during warmups to help get me engaged.
Old Sun Apr 03, 2016, 03:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
The way I viewed the play based on the description was a player with two feet on the floor catches a pass. After the catch of the ball, they then step with one foot, then step with the other, and shoot. Essentially the first step establishes pivot foot, then once that foot is lifted and set down we have a travel.

Of course if they are stepping into this as they are receiving the ball, this is probably legal but based on what foot becomes the pivot. I watch how players receive passes and step into shots during warmups to help get me engaged.
I would have thought so except for this completely inaccurate post.

Quote:
@ BR_the "legal jumpstop" consideration is not in effect here as there was no dribbling action that preceded the jump shot. In the case I'm describing the series of actions is: catch ball, make a small hop step [i.e., 'gather'], then shoot. Thanks for you input tho.
Old Mon Apr 04, 2016, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

@Adam: no one else here seemed to be confused by the explanatory posts--perhaps you just simply disagree with the threads' concensus--which is fine also.
Old Mon Apr 04, 2016, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
@Adam: no one else here seemed to be confused by the explanatory posts--perhaps you just simply disagree with the threads' concensus--which is fine also.
I don't think anyone really understood what you were asking. Is my description above an accurate description of the movement you are seeing?
Old Mon Apr 04, 2016, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're trying to get out of this thread. I don't see a consensus, and Adam is just clarifying that this may or may not be a travel as described. Asking for help on an arbitrary(No video and not exactly clear play) call just leaves it open for interpretation. Women/men's basketball is officiated differently. They even have different rules at the college/NBA level. HS is probably the most similar but still has different philosophies on what you should or shouldn't call.

About the only sure conclusion I can come to is they aren't called the same way.
Old Mon Apr 04, 2016, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I stopped reading your post after seeing "catch" and "hop" step. I just pictured that you were talking about a player catching ball with two feet on the ground and then hopping right or left just after the catch. I went back and read the rest of the post and i can certainly see the confusion. I just don't use the term "gather."

I think i guessed right on the move you were trying to describe but you really didn't say, (i don't think), if both feet were on the ground at time of catch or just one or none. As Adam points out that does matter. Travel rules apply when end a dribble or gain control of ball from pass. thx
Old Mon Apr 04, 2016, 02:36pm
AremRed

This thread reminds me of potato's infamous "Hot Step" thread: https://forum.officiating.com/basket...tml#post886829
Old Tue Apr 05, 2016, 12:15am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
You have yet to adequately describe the move with anything resembling rule-book terms.