View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 01, 2016, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Those posts don't really tell me what you're seeing, other than that you think if a player wasn't dribbling they are not allowed to do a "jump stop" after the catch. Since that assumption is wrong (there is no rule difference between a player gathering a dribble and a player catching a pass), I'm left with the assumption that what is being done is legal.

If a player catches a pass with a foot on the floor, she may jump off that foot as long as she lands on both simultaneously.
If she catches the pass with both feet in the air, she may jump of the first foot that lands and then land on both simultaneously.

These are the plays I'm perceiving when you talk about a little "hop" in the set up for the shot. It's perfectly legal, which provides a different explanation for why it's not being called.
The way I viewed the play based on the description was a player with two feet on the floor catches a pass. After the catch of the ball, they then step with one foot, then step with the other, and shoot. Essentially the first step establishes pivot foot, then once that foot is lifted and set down we have a travel.

Of course if they are stepping into this as they are receiving the ball, this is probably legal but based on what foot becomes the pivot. I watch how players receive passes and step into shots during warmups to help get me engaged.