View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 01, 2016, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

For all of you accomplished officials, I sincerely thank you for your well-considered inputs/comments on my issue. Let me first say that it was re-assuring to see other officials had observed the same issue and I will say that going forward in my officiating vocation I will aim to implement the proper "travel call" when said action occurs.

For the record, I did speak with three female basketball officials--all who do it at the NF level--and they collectively said that they wished more officials would call this a "travel" on the girls/women's side instead of "kicking the rule". They said that girls do this "gathering" action in order to gain more force on their shot (which several of you had already postulated); however, the action is nevertheless a "travel". I then asked them "why" they had never /seldom called it a travel since they were also females who could ostensibly "identify" with other females? They responded by saying something to the effect of "wishing they had the temerity to make that call" despite the cultural bias towards kicking the rule.

Thanks a ton for all of you'alls comments.