The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 04:05pm
C'mon man!!

Vid request Travel Iowa State and Texas A And M

:45 left in second half. Amazing this was missed at this level.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 04:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

That was a travel. The only explanation is that the official was looking through is back or felt the ball was blocked. But that did not happen and this was a big miss.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Here's the play...

"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 09:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

A Little Traveling Music Please (Jackie Gleason) ...

NFHS: Travel. The pivot foot is lifted and returned to the floor before the ball is released for a shot or a pass.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

I've watched it a few times and can't clearly tell but it kind of looks as if he bounces it off the defenders right shoulder. That then would negate the travel right?

Last edited by Cole4088; Sat Jan 30, 2016 at 10:20pm.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 10:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole4088 View Post
I've watched it a few times and can't clearly tell but it kind of looks as if he bounces it off the defenders right shoulder. That then would negate the travel right?
No it would not. The fact he lifted a pivot foot to start a dribble is the violation. The ball hitting the floor is not a factor.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole4088 View Post
Yes it would negate the travel. Throwing the ball off of the other players shoulder allows him to go get it, start another dribble etc.

In the video the player jumps to shoot and simply drops the ball. At this moment there is nothing to call. When he catches it first the drop is considered a dribble. Illegal to start a dribble with pivot foot in air.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
In the video the player jumps to shoot and simply drops the ball. At this moment there is nothing to call. When he catches it first the drop is considered a dribble. Illegal to start a dribble with pivot foot in air.
The instant he started a dribble after lifting his pivot foot is when the travel occurs. It has nothing to do with him being first to touch it.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griblets View Post
The instant he started a dribble after lifting his pivot foot is when the travel occurs. It has nothing to do with him being first to touch it.
He jumped to shoot and then dropped it. It is not a dribble until he touches it again. If his teammate comes to get it, it is a pass. It has everything to do with him being first to touch it. 4.44.3,4.15.4c, 9.5.

What happens after the drop determines if it is a dribble, or pass.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 11:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Illegal Dribble ???

Quote:
Throwing the ball off of the other players shoulder allows him to go get it, start another dribble etc.
Are you sure?

9-5: A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has ended, unless it is after he/she has lost control because of:
ART. 1 A try for field goal.
ART. 2 A touch by an opponent.
ART. 3 A pass or fumble which has then touched, or been touched by,
another player.

Did he lose control because of the touch by an opponent? Did he lose control because of a pass or a fumble that was then touched by another player? Or did he lose control because he dropped the ball?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 11:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

From The List ...

Quote:
He jumped to shoot and then dropped it.
When an airborne player tries for goal, sees that the try will be blocked, purposely drops the ball, and touches the ball after it hits the floor, that player has traveled by starting a dribble with the pivot foot off the floor.

Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Are you sure?

9-5: A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has ended, unless it is after he/she has lost control because of:
ART. 1 A try for field goal.
ART. 2 A touch by an opponent.
ART. 3 A pass or fumble which has then touched, or been touched by,
another player.

Did he lose control because of the touch by an opponent? Did he lose control because of a pass or a fumble that was then touched by another player? Or did he lose control because he dropped the ball?
I'm sure. If I throw the ball and it hits you it is a pass. I can go get it, dribble again etc.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
When an airborne player tries for goal, sees that the try will be blocked, purposely drops the ball, and touches the ball after it hits the floor, that player has traveled by starting a dribble with the pivot foot off the floor.
I agree. Giblets stated it was a violation when the ball hit the floor. It is not. Only when offensive player is first to touch it.

9.5 is the play where A1 dribbles, comes to a stop and then throws it off of opponents backboard. Opponents backboard is the same as floor. The play says violation by A1 provided he is first to touch it.
Old Sun Jan 31, 2016, 01:28am
We don't rent pigs

A second touch is not necessary to define a dribble. If a player releases the ball and, in the judgment of the official, it is not a try or a pass, it is, by default, a dribble. If this happens after the pivot is lifted, the violation occurs when the ball hits the floor.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 31, 2016, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

I had this same play occur last Saturday. I was Lead and the defender blocked the Trail's view of the action. Even though it was outside the 3pt line on the wing, I came with a late whistle and called the violation.
Closed Thread