The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 04:24pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner View Post
I get that and am on board with that. But what about the 10-second count? When does that technically start? A1 inbounding after a made shot. The pass is deflected by B1 (shot clock starts), ball bounces across court for 2 seconds when it is finally picked up by A2? Does the 10-second count start when the pass was deflected by B1 or when it was picked up by A2?
When the ball is legally touched in-bounds on a throw-in. When the ball is possessed after a try. When Team Control changes on a steal or turnover.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I get that and am on board with that. But what about the 10-second count? When does that technically start? A1 inbounding after a made shot. The pass is deflected by B1 (shot clock starts), ball bounces across court for 2 seconds when it is finally picked up by A2? Does the 10-second count start when the pass was deflected by B1 or when it was picked up by A2?
When it was deflected by B. Also, a visible count is used only when shot clock is off. Lead may well have the best look at times. Anybody can get it.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Any official can call a 10-second violation. I did it from the C this season.
I'm on board with this as well. But is it a standard mechanic to have L check the shot clock on 10-second counts if the ball is deflected into the backcourt and closely contested by B? Or is it something that is more of a pregame discussion? For example, "Team B really likes to press and will fight for every loose ball tonight. If we have a ball deflected into the backcourt T&C will need to watch play closely, and T will need to help with any 10-second counts."
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 04:35pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I'm on board with this as well. But is it a standard mechanic to have L check the shot clock on 10-second counts if the ball is deflected into the backcourt and closely contested by B? Or is it something that is more of a pregame discussion? For example, "Team B really likes to press and will fight for every loose ball tonight. If we have a ball deflected into the backcourt T&C will need to watch play closely, and T will need to help with any 10-second counts."
From my own experiences so far, it has yet to become a problem. The T is going to take a peek at the shot clock when the ball gains BC status on a deflection. We also have to check the shot clock to make sure it hasn't been reset.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
When the ball is legally touched in-bounds on a throw-in. When the ball is possessed after a try. When Team Control changes on a steal or turnover.
This is what I assumed and what makes sense to me, however my confusion stems from the following situation that I can't reconcile. A1 inbounds the ball from baseline of his frontcourt following a foul that caused the shot clock to be reset. A1 passes toward the backcourt and B1 while in (a) A's frontcourt or (b) A's backcourt deflects it over A2's head into the backcourt where it is retreived by A2. She shot clock properly starts when B1 deflects the pass. When does the 10-second count start in situations a and b.

Please don't take this as being argumentative or difficult. I trust you guys know what you are talking about, but I'm struggling with how the rule is written. The issue for me is that the NCAA rules define when the 10-second count begins, whereas the NFHS rules simply require team control of a ball in the backcourt and doesn't dictate when the count begins.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is what I assumed and what makes sense to me, however my confusion stems from the following situation that I can't reconcile. A1 inbounds the ball from baseline of his frontcourt following a foul that caused the shot clock to be reset. A1 passes toward the backcourt and B1 while in (a) A's frontcourt or (b) A's backcourt deflects it over A2's head into the backcourt where it is retreived by A2. She shot clock properly starts when B1 deflects the pass. When does the 10-second count start in situations a and b.

Please don't take this as being argumentative or difficult. I trust you guys know what you are talking about, but I'm struggling with how the rule is written. The issue for me is that the NCAA rules define when the 10-second count begins, whereas the NFHS rules simply require team control of a ball in the backcourt and doesn't dictate when the count begins.
A. When it is touched/retrieved by A2, 10 count begins. That is first touch by player in BC.

B. When it is deflected by B. That is first touch in A's BC.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 05:08pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

That is a situation that needs to be pre-gamed. The shot clock would start immediately and the 10-second count would start when the ball gains BC status. I'm sure the defensive HC would be jumping up and down at the 20-second mark.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

So in A the 10-second count shouldn't start until A touches the ball in the backcourt in NCAA, but in NFHS it should start once the ball touches the backcourt (team "control of the ball which is in his/her backcourt")?
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So in A the 10-second count shouldn't start until A touches the ball in the backcourt in NCAA, but in NFHS it should start once the ball touches the backcourt (team "control of the ball which is in his/her backcourt")?
NCAA. When A touches it 10 count begins under your example. In NfHS the ten count would start when A2 retrieved the ball. That is when TC established in BC. There are other threads on this.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 05:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Then you do not get it, because it was stated that the violation takes place when the shot clock read 20 (not including timeout or any other exception to the rule using the shot clock). When anyone touches the ball starts the shot clock.

This was kind of made clear earlier in this thread.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Then you do not get it, because it was stated that the violation takes place when the shot clock read 20 (not including timeout or any other exception to the rule using the shot clock). When anyone touches the ball starts the shot clock.

Peace
He changed the play to a FC throwin by A, touched by B in A's FC and retrieved by A2 in A's BC. The shot clock starts when the ball is touched by B. The 10 count will not start until the ball is touched in the BC.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
I get the violation occurs when the clock reads 20 if the shot clock and the 10-second count start simultaneously. When I stated "I get that and am on board with that", I was referring to the shot clock starting when the ball is legally touched by any player. That is pretty much a no exceptions point that I get.

My point is that the 10-second count and shot clock don't always start at the same time. The crux of my confusion is whether or not the 10-second count starts against team A when the ball is touched by any player (A or B) in A's backcourt. Is the simple touching of the ball by A or B in A's backcourt when A has team control sufficient to start the count. If A has established frontcourt status with the ball, does a pass deflected by B into the backcourt that is subsequently touched (not possessed) by B cause the 10-second count to start or does A have to touch it in the backcourt? If you say A has to touch it before starting a 10-second count, then how can it be that the 10-second count starts when B deflects a pass from A while inbounding following a made basket?
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I get the violation occurs when the clock reads 20 if the shot clock and the 10-second count start simultaneously. When I stated "I get that and am on board with that", I was referring to the shot clock starting when the ball is legally touched by any player. That is pretty much a no exceptions point that I get.

My point is that the 10-second count and shot clock don't always start at the same time. The crux of my confusion is whether or not the 10-second count starts against team A when the ball is touched by any player (A or B) in A's backcourt. Is the simple touching of the ball by A or B in A's backcourt when A has team control sufficient to start the count. If A has established frontcourt status with the ball, does a pass deflected by B into the backcourt that is subsequently touched (not possessed) by B cause the 10-second count to start or does A have to touch it in the backcourt? If you say A has to touch it before starting a 10-second count, then how can it be that the 10-second count starts when B deflects a pass from A while inbounding following a made basket?
Your getting things complicated by changing the play back and forth. Also, forget team control for the moment.

1. A throw in from A's backcourt is tipped by B1 in A's BC. The shot clock and the -10 second count for A starts on Bs touch. A player legally touched the ball in A's BC. When the clock hits 20-violation. Even if seconds went by before A actually touched ball. Do you have that down?
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Fed is 10 second starts once the ball has BC status if there is still team control. Most guys do not start the count then, however.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 06:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
He changed the play to a FC throwin by A, touched by B in A's FC and retrieved by A2 in A's BC. The shot clock starts when the ball is touched by B. The 10 count will not start until the ball is touched in the BC.
My response was to his comments to me. Nothing had changed at that time.

Peace