The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 15, 2015, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Correct Application

In our game last night one referee called a reaching foul on my player at mid-court which resulted in our 6th team foul. Before the opposing team
could inbound the ball at mid-court after the common foul, same referee called a technical foul on me. The opposing team was awarded 2 shots
for the technical. I assumed the opposing team would then take the ball out on the sideline.

However, and I'm guessing since I wasn't allowed to stand up and question, the referee in question then awarded a one and one to the opposing team's
player who was fouled at mid-court. After she shot the one and one, the opposing team was awarded possession on the sideline.

My question is how do you go back and penalize the 6th team foul with a one and one? The technical was a subsequent foul that had nothing to do with the common 6th foul. The opposing team was awarded 4 free throws and possession of the ball at a critical juncture of a close game.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2015, 11:54am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikaryan View Post
In our game last night one referee called a reaching foul on my player at mid-court which resulted in our 6th team foul. Before the opposing team
could inbound the ball at mid-court after the common foul, same referee called a technical foul on me. The opposing team was awarded 2 shots
for the technical. I assumed the opposing team would then take the ball out on the sideline.

However, and I'm guessing since I wasn't allowed to stand up and question, the referee in question then awarded a one and one to the opposing team's
player who was fouled at mid-court. After she shot the one and one, the opposing team was awarded possession on the sideline.

My question is how do you go back and penalize the 6th team foul with a one and one? The technical was a subsequent foul that had nothing to do with the common 6th foul. The opposing team was awarded 4 free throws and possession of the ball at a critical juncture of a close game.
Assuming it played out as you indicate, the officials got it wrong.

It happens. It shouldn't, but it does. Are you sure they called a "reaching" foul?
Old Thu Jan 15, 2015, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Correct Application

Yes, common foul at mid court which put our team foul total to 6. Thanks for the reply.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2015, 12:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Yes, common foul at mid court which put our team foul total to 6. Thanks for the reply.
Sorry, I was being a bit antagonistic.
I haven't called a "reaching" foul in more than 10 years.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2015, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
However, and I'm guessing since I wasn't allowed to stand up and question,
It's a correctable error. You are allowed to stand to try to prevent / rectify that (you're supposed to ask the scorer to signal the referee and tehn have the discussion).
Old Thu Jan 15, 2015, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
His point was that there is no such thing as a "reaching foul." A player who reaches in may be guilty of a foul for making contact with the opponent, but the reach itself is not a foul. If you had referees who were actually calling "reaching" a foul when they reported to the scorers table, you had official with littleor no training. If so, it is not surprising that they would botch the enforcement here.

Last edited by so cal lurker; Thu Jan 15, 2015 at 12:56pm.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2015, 01:03pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
If you had referees who were actually calling "reaching" a foul when they reported to the scorers table, you had official with little or no training. If so, it is not surprising that they would botch the enforcement here.
Or you've got a partner who just doesn't care to use correct terminology.

I actually had, very recently, in a varsity game, a partner who told players to "quit reaching"... and he's definitely not 'untrained'.

What age/level was this game?
Old Thu Jan 15, 2015, 01:07pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
It's a correctable error. You are allowed to stand to try to prevent / rectify that (you're supposed to ask the scorer to signal the referee and tehn have the discussion).
This is the most important take away from this thread.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2015, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Assuming it played out as you indicate, the officials got it wrong.

It happens. It shouldn't, but it does. Are you sure they called a "reaching" foul?
I agree with Adam, assuming it happened the way you described. Because this is an officiating forum, I try to give the benefit of the doubt to the official. You're absolutely certain that the 1st foul was the 6th and not 7th? Sometimes the scoreboard is a little behind, so they could have been right and looked bad if the scoreboard didn't reflect this. Although even in this case they needed to shoot the 1-1 first...
Old Thu Jan 15, 2015, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Correct Application

Thank you.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2015, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

High School Varsity. The terminology is my mistake. My player reached in and tapped the ball away cleanly but he called a foul. Not sure what he identified it as.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2015, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Absolutely positive on the foul situation.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2015, 01:32pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
High School Varsity. The terminology is my mistake. My player reached in and tapped the ball away cleanly but he called a foul. Not sure what he identified it as.
In your opinion

If you hadn't had said your player was called for a "reaching" foul, I'd have more confidence in your judgment.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2015, 02:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Welcome to the forum, coach.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2015, 02:30pm
In Time Out

so team A has 5 fouls, A1 fouls for the 6th foul and after a Tech is called. Team A should be shooting the T, not the bonus.

Same as above but let's say somehow there was a simultaneous foul and Tech on team A. Shoot the bonus here?