The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 12, 2016, 09:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Spin move. You make the call.... (Video)

We talk about what happens at the college level, tell me what you got at the high school level? Yes it matters.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 12, 2016, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

I'm calling travel. Very few others would. I'm considering no longer calling these myself as it seems like the entire basketball world wants this to be a legal play....which I'm OK with. I would rather the rule not contradict the game, but whatever.

Many officials think these plays are "too close" to call a travel on, but as I've said, a player RARELY (damn close to never) gathers the ball late enough to make this play legal.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2016, 10:00pm
Stubborn Member

Looks like his right foot was down when he gathered the ball, he picked it up to spin on his left, then put his right foot back down before going up for the shot... travel.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2016, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

I think it only matters if it happens next week.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2016, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Travel
Old Sat Mar 12, 2016, 10:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I think it only matters if it happens next week.
To me it does.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 13, 2016, 01:59am
Official Forum Member

Yes, a travel, but almost never called.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2016, 09:18am
Official & Member

It's a travel...but it's razor close so it would be tough to catch in real time. This player is extremely quick and athletic and is probably capable of pulling it off legally.

One of my pet peeves is getting the ones that are slow and obvious travels. I made it a personal mission last season to call them (HS level) whenever I saw them. Unfortunately, I was on an island. Very few other members of my local assn. would call them (or anywhere in the state that I could find) so I abandoned it this season. It's an uphill battle for a hill that I'm not willing to die on. When in Rome...
Old Sun Mar 13, 2016, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
It's a travel...but it's razor close so it would be tough to catch in real time. This player is extremely quick and athletic and is probably capable of pulling it off legally.
When is the last time you saw this move, slowed it down, and found it to be legal?

As a player, it is awkward and unnatural to "delay" the gather long enough to avoid traveling.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2016, 09:47am
Stubborn Member

If I can't describe the travel using rule book terminology, like talking about the pivot foot and what it did, then I don't like to make the call. If a coach wants to know what the player did, what do I say? "It looked weird"?
Old Sun Mar 13, 2016, 09:59am
Esteemed Forum Member

Tough Call for Me ...

Travel. Plays like this are the ones that I have the most trouble with. I doubt that I would have called it a travel in real time in my high school game. Not because of some accepted philosophy, but because I would have just missed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
.... my Achilles heel is traveling, not at at the start of the dribble (easy peasey lemon squeezy), but at the end of dribble, when dribbler comes to an odd jump stop transitioning into the act of shooting.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 13, 2016 at 10:02am.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2016, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
If I can't describe the travel using rule book terminology, like talking about the pivot foot and what it did, then I don't like to make the call. If a coach wants to know what the player did, what do I say? "It looked weird"?
You really can't describe why a spin like this is a travel? It's the same as any other...the player just spins while committing the violation.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2016, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

No way this is a travel the way the game is played today. when a player is gathering, unless it is clear it is completely in control and possessed, gathered, with the pivot foot down, in this case the right foot, you don't call it. If you aren't 100% sure on a travel call, you shouldn't call it.

Another example, as a player is going out to the wing to catch a pass, if he is catching going away from the basket, then turns and faces the basket, it's always going to be close to a travel for the same reason. If you are good at calling this a travel, you won't last long.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2016, 12:07pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicGuy View Post
You really can't describe why a spin like this is a travel? It's the same as any other...the player just spins while committing the violation.
It's a general statement regarding a traveling call. I actually described this play in my initial post in this thread.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old Sun Mar 13, 2016, 12:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

How About A Little Travelin' Music, Sammy (Jackie Gleason) …

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedewed View Post
No way this is a travel the way the game is played today. when a player is gathering, unless it is clear it is completely in control and possessed, gathered, with the pivot foot down, in this case the right foot, you don't call it.
It is a travel, whether it's called, or not, is another question.

BryanV21 does a nice job explaining why it is, indeed, a travel:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Looks like his right foot was down when he gathered the ball, he picked it up to spin on his left, then put his right foot back down before going up for the shot... travel.
As I posted earlier, I probably would have missed the travel in real time, but that doesn't make it a legal move, just another screw-up by yours truly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedewed View Post
If you aren't 100% sure on a travel call, you shouldn't call it.
Agree.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 13, 2016 at 12:48pm.