The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #31 (permalink)  
Old Sun Mar 13, 2016, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,499
I don't think the rule needs adjustment. If you can't tell at full speed it's a travel then don't call it. If you can then do call it. Adding another step won't change anything. The line will just me moved further down.

If slow motion is needed to determine a travel then the call/no-call was the correct adjudication.
__________________
in OS I trust
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old Sun Mar 13, 2016, 09:04pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
One thing that has evolved is the argument here. There's less "He may not have completed the gather" and more "That's never called." So the question remains, if I correctly call a travel which you can't see without slow motion, or even worse in my opinion, you simply refuse to call because some other official didn't /wouldn't, does that make me a bad official?
Do you call that travel?
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old Sun Mar 13, 2016, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 152
Unless there have been travels on similar plays earlier in the day, I wouldn't call a travel. For me, I am not certain that it isn't going to be a spin dribble rather than a spin-catch-and-shoot until both hands are on the ball which I don't see until both feet are in the air.
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old Sun Mar 13, 2016, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
Unless there have been travels on similar plays earlier in the day, I wouldn't call a travel. For me, I am not certain that it isn't going to be a spin dribble rather than a spin-catch-and-shoot until both hands are on the ball which I don't see until both feet are in the air.
As soon as you know he's not dribbling though...

Last edited by MechanicGuy; Sun Mar 13, 2016 at 09:39pm.
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old Sun Mar 13, 2016, 10:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 17,521
A Tree Falls On A Basketball Court ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
... the question remains, if I correctly call a travel which you can't see without slow motion, or even worse in my opinion, you simply refuse to call because some other official didn't /wouldn't, does that make me a bad official?
... and, does it make a sound?
__________________
John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 14, 2016, 01:09am
We don't rent pigs
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Do you call that travel?
He has the ball in both hands with his back to the basket. He completes the spin and the second foot obviously lands before the release. Seems pretty obvious to me.
__________________
I swear, Gus, you'd argue with a possum.
It'd be easier than arguing with you, Woodrow.


Lonesome Dove

Last edited by just another ref; Mon Mar 14, 2016 at 02:10am.
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 14, 2016, 07:13am
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
He has the ball in both hands with his back to the basket. He completes the spin and the second foot obviously lands before the release. Seems pretty obvious to me.
Do you call that travel in your games? This video is from a high school state tournament. You keep complaining about college officials not calling it. I'm asking you do you call it because in another thread you made excuses about coaches and fans.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 14, 2016, 07:41am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 166
The issue is if the right foot is off the ground before he's cupped, gathered, controlled the ball. If you aren't absolutely sure, you don't call it. I've been told and always thought that if in real time it happens, you call it, and knowleadgeable basketball people in the stands look at each other and question whether it was a travel, you shouldn't have called it. Travels should be called when most everyone in the gym know it's a travel.

consider my other example: catching a wing pass going away from the basket, and ending up facing the basket in triple threat position. Really hard to do that w/o technically being close to a travel. yet it never, ever, is called, nor should it be called. If you catch on one step going away, then pivot around to face the basket, it's the same issue as here only worse: the foot you caught on comes back down as you turn to face the basket.

Kind of like face guarding with the hand: never, ever, called, yet it's in the rule book, or at least it used to be, as a technical.
Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 14, 2016, 09:22am
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 28,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Do you call that travel in your games? This video is from a high school state tournament. You keep complaining about college officials not calling it. I'm asking you do you call it because in another thread you made excuses about coaches and fans.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
And for the record, I probably would not have called this either seeing it live. I actually did not know it was a travel when I first saw the play. I only realized it after I clipped it up, because we have people that insist high school officials are "pure" and call these all the time as opposed to college officials that "completely ignore" this violation as stated by some who seem to not work a lick of college ball.

Peace
__________________
"When the phone does not ring, the assignor is calling."
--Black

Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 14, 2016, 09:41am
LRZ LRZ is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: SE PA
Posts: 552
"knowleadgeable basketball people in the stands look at each other and question whether it was a travel, you shouldn't have called it....Travels should be called when most everyone in the gym know it's a travel."

Frankly, I don't find this helpful. I see something in real time and must make an immediate decision: I either pass (I'm sure it was not a travel) or call it (I'm sure it was). Maybe the fans in the stands were wrong. And we don't--and can't--officiate by taking a vote of spectators. Even on this forum, knowledgeable people often disagree, even with the benefit of slo-mo and replay.

Or maybe I'm missing your point.
Reply With Quote
  #41 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 14, 2016, 10:46am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedewed View Post
...knowleadgeable basketball people in the stands ...
By "knowledgeable basketball people", I assume you mean other basketball officials.
Reply With Quote
  #42 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 14, 2016, 10:55am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
"knowleadgeable basketball people in the stands look at each other and question whether it was a travel, you shouldn't have called it....Travels should be called when most everyone in the gym know it's a travel."

Frankly, I don't find this helpful. I see something in real time and must make an immediate decision: I either pass (I'm sure it was not a travel) or call it (I'm sure it was). Maybe the fans in the stands were wrong. And we don't--and can't--officiate by taking a vote of spectators. Even on this forum, knowledgeable people often disagree, even with the benefit of slo-mo and replay.

Or maybe I'm missing your point.

The point is simply, if you are not sure it is a travel when you see it in real-time, if it's gray area, you don't blow your whistle.
Reply With Quote
  #43 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 14, 2016, 10:57am
We don't rent pigs
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Do you call that travel in your games? This video is from a high school state tournament. You keep complaining about college officials not calling it. I'm asking you do you call it because in another thread you made excuses about coaches and fans.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Yes, I do, always have. But I'm weakening in the name of consistency. It's not fair to the player to call a violation on something when he really and truly "has been doing that all year and nobody else has called it." You're gonna have to refresh my memory about the excuses, coaches, and fans part.
__________________
I swear, Gus, you'd argue with a possum.
It'd be easier than arguing with you, Woodrow.


Lonesome Dove
Reply With Quote
  #44 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 14, 2016, 11:49am
LRZ LRZ is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: SE PA
Posts: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedewed View Post
The point is simply, if you are not sure it is a travel when you see it in real-time, if it's gray area, you don't blow your whistle.
OK, but then why do you refer to people in the stand as a gauge?
Reply With Quote
  #45 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 14, 2016, 11:52am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Orange, NJ
Posts: 2,583
If I'm the L I doubt I get it because I'm not going to able to see when the BH/D ends his dribble. Maybe if I'm the T but as the L one of the defenders would most likely be blocking me out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
And for the record, I probably would not have called this either seeing it live. I actually did not know it was a travel when I first saw the play. I only realized it after I clipped it up, because we have people that insist high school officials are "pure" and call these all the time as opposed to college officials that "completely ignore" this violation as stated by some who seem to not work a lick of college ball.
It's funny, Jeff. My supervisors/observers/fellow officials at the NCAA level run the gamut on this issue, from call the really obvious ones to analyzing every move step by step. The one thing that's a constant is people say if I'm the best official at calling traveling I won't go too far. I remember an NCAAW preseason meeting video from within the past decade where the clinician flat out said to let stuff go on some of the spin moves, especially in the post. Now we've moved back to "call the rules as written." I just do my best to roll with it.
__________________
"Everyone has a purpose in life, even if it's only to serve as a bad example."
"If Opportunity knocks and he's not home, Opportunity waits..."
"Don't you have to be stupid somewhere else?" "Not until 4."
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spin move bainsey Basketball 38 Mon Jan 11, 2016 05:54pm
Spin move, make the call, video jump stop Basketball 18 Fri Feb 01, 2013 04:41pm
Video: Euro step, Gasol move ? Make the call jump stop Basketball 43 Thu Aug 23, 2012 02:59pm
Spin move video The R Basketball 6 Thu Dec 02, 2010 07:31pm
Spin move just another ref Basketball 9 Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:20am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1