The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 14, 2016, 12:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
It's funny, Jeff. My supervisors/observers/fellow officials at the NCAA level run the gamut on this issue, from call the really obvious ones to analyzing every move step by step. The one thing that's a constant is people say if I'm the best official at calling traveling I won't go too far. I remember an NCAAW preseason meeting video from within the past decade where the clinician flat out said to let stuff go on some of the spin moves, especially in the post. Now we've moved back to "call the rules as written." I just do my best to roll with it.
I can honestly say that I have never been told not to call travels at the college level. Also the NCAA video has shown many missed travels over the last few years so they clearly want us to call them on some level.

Again, I think many of these plays are just hard to call. I get some plays right and I struggle with others. I also do not want to go to the default position that any spin or euro step is a travel. I have seen many executed correctly and if it does not stand out, I am not calling them just because. I need something to identify as a travel. I just think that all officials are inconsistent in calling travels. Again, I try to get the "big" ones as much as possible, but like any other officials I miss them sometimes. It is no different than not calling a carry or getting an out of bounds play wrong.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 14, 2016, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
OK, but then why do you refer to people in the stand as a gauge?
You are overthinking it, it could be someone watching it on TV, whatever, simply people that have seen a lot of bball. Did you read my point about catching going away from the basket and squaring up? Same deal. Never called, but technically some of the time a travel.

I see more travels called that aren't than the other way around. Best practice is to only call it if you are 100% sure from what I've always been told, and observed from the best for that matter. I don't remember ever catching crap for not calling a close travel in the gazillion games I've done over the years.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2016, 03:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedewed View Post
You are overthinking it, it could be someone watching it on TV, whatever, simply people that have seen a lot of bball. Did you read my point about catching going away from the basket and squaring up? Same deal. Never called, but technically some of the time a travel.

I see more travels called that aren't than the other way around. Best practice is to only call it if you are 100% sure from what I've always been told, and observed from the best for that matter. I don't remember ever catching crap for not calling a close travel in the gazillion games I've done over the years.

Not by people that have a clue, anyway.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2016, 03:23pm
Stubborn Member

I can be 100% sure about a travel while plenty of people and coaches don't think it was. Are you saying I shouldn't call that?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old Mon Mar 14, 2016, 03:27pm
Get away from me, Steve.

When one coach is unhappy and the other feels he got a gift, it's one to pass on.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2016, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
When one coach is unhappy and the other feels he got a gift, it's one to pass on.
Going to start polling them before each play!

[But I'm with you.]
Old Mon Mar 14, 2016, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Sometimes as officials we get to "cute" in our game calling. Travelling and 3 second violations come to mind. Call what needs to be called, when it needs to, but by all means one must weigh the overall impact (especially with 3 second calls) and nit picky (in relations to travel).

If you can defend a call by all means you are free to make it. But if you need frame by frame video to prove you made the right call then, with the exception of last second shots, no one cares really.

Travelling is also such a small part of the game why do we focus SO much attention to it? I may have 1 or two in average varsity game. I may have a handful of 3 second violations all year.