The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Spin move. You make the call.... (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101080-spin-move-you-make-call-video.html)

JRutledge Sat Mar 12, 2016 09:56pm

Spin move. You make the call.... (Video)
 
We talk about what happens at the college level, tell me what you got at the high school level? Yes it matters. ;)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6COGdmSuemg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

MechanicGuy Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:00pm

I'm calling travel. Very few others would. I'm considering no longer calling these myself as it seems like the entire basketball world wants this to be a legal play....which I'm OK with. I would rather the rule not contradict the game, but whatever.

Many officials think these plays are "too close" to call a travel on, but as I've said, a player RARELY (damn close to never) gathers the ball late enough to make this play legal.

BryanV21 Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:00pm

Looks like his right foot was down when he gathered the ball, he picked it up to spin on his left, then put his right foot back down before going up for the shot... travel.

bob jenkins Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:03pm

I think it only matters if it happens next week.

Mr.C Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:13pm

Travel

JRutledge Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 983979)
I think it only matters if it happens next week.

To me it does. :D

Peace

Camron Rust Sun Mar 13, 2016 01:59am

Yes, a travel, but almost never called.

Bad Zebra Sun Mar 13, 2016 09:18am

It's a travel...but it's razor close so it would be tough to catch in real time. This player is extremely quick and athletic and is probably capable of pulling it off legally.

One of my pet peeves is getting the ones that are slow and obvious travels. I made it a personal mission last season to call them (HS level) whenever I saw them. Unfortunately, I was on an island. Very few other members of my local assn. would call them (or anywhere in the state that I could find) so I abandoned it this season. It's an uphill battle for a hill that I'm not willing to die on. When in Rome...:(

MechanicGuy Sun Mar 13, 2016 09:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 984013)
It's a travel...but it's razor close so it would be tough to catch in real time. This player is extremely quick and athletic and is probably capable of pulling it off legally.

When is the last time you saw this move, slowed it down, and found it to be legal?

As a player, it is awkward and unnatural to "delay" the gather long enough to avoid traveling.

BryanV21 Sun Mar 13, 2016 09:47am

If I can't describe the travel using rule book terminology, like talking about the pivot foot and what it did, then I don't like to make the call. If a coach wants to know what the player did, what do I say? "It looked weird"?

BillyMac Sun Mar 13, 2016 09:59am

Tough Call for Me ...
 
Travel. Plays like this are the ones that I have the most trouble with. I doubt that I would have called it a travel in real time in my high school game. Not because of some accepted philosophy, but because I would have just missed it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 983900)
.... my Achilles heel is traveling, not at at the start of the dribble (easy peasey lemon squeezy), but at the end of dribble, when dribbler comes to an odd jump stop transitioning into the act of shooting.


MechanicGuy Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 984017)
If I can't describe the travel using rule book terminology, like talking about the pivot foot and what it did, then I don't like to make the call. If a coach wants to know what the player did, what do I say? "It looked weird"?

You really can't describe why a spin like this is a travel? It's the same as any other...the player just spins while committing the violation.

thedewed Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:51am

No way this is a travel the way the game is played today. when a player is gathering, unless it is clear it is completely in control and possessed, gathered, with the pivot foot down, in this case the right foot, you don't call it. If you aren't 100% sure on a travel call, you shouldn't call it.

Another example, as a player is going out to the wing to catch a pass, if he is catching going away from the basket, then turns and faces the basket, it's always going to be close to a travel for the same reason. If you are good at calling this a travel, you won't last long.

BryanV21 Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MechanicGuy (Post 984024)
You really can't describe why a spin like this is a travel? It's the same as any other...the player just spins while committing the violation.

It's a general statement regarding a traveling call. I actually described this play in my initial post in this thread.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

BillyMac Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:44pm

How About A Little Travelin' Music, Sammy (Jackie Gleason)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thedewed (Post 984031)
No way this is a travel the way the game is played today. when a player is gathering, unless it is clear it is completely in control and possessed, gathered, with the pivot foot down, in this case the right foot, you don't call it.

It is a travel, whether it's called, or not, is another question.

BryanV21 does a nice job explaining why it is, indeed, a travel:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 983978)
Looks like his right foot was down when he gathered the ball, he picked it up to spin on his left, then put his right foot back down before going up for the shot... travel.

As I posted earlier, I probably would have missed the travel in real time, but that doesn't make it a legal move, just another screw-up by yours truly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedewed (Post 984031)
If you aren't 100% sure on a travel call, you shouldn't call it.

Agree.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1