The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

I am more-than-a-little confused on when to use the digital stopwatch and when to use the video timer. I'd expect a few questions on next year's test about this.

And, despite the clearly stated "the timer must have a digital stop watch, not a phone, not a second hand on a watch" -- I wonder how often that is actually followed at the D-2 and D-3 levels (of course, the use of monitors is relatively rare at those levels as well).
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 09:24am
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I am more-than-a-little confused on when to use the digital stopwatch and when to use the video timer. I'd expect a few questions on next year's test about this.

And, despite the clearly stated "the timer must have a digital stop watch, not a phone, not a second hand on a watch" -- I wonder how often that is actually followed at the D-2 and D-3 levels (of course, the use of monitors is relatively rare at those levels as well).
I doubt it is ever followed at D3 level since there are not many, if any, that use video review. However, at least around here, that has changed. Recently a crew used the live stream feed, and yes the computer was at a table within 12 feet of the court, to decide if a shot at the end of regulation was good or not. Since then, the league has issued a memo that using this application is only allowed for game ending shots. None of the other replay situations can be used in their games.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Since then, the league has issued a memo that using this application is only allowed for game ending shots. None of the other replay situations can be used in their games.
Yes, there's one conference (maybe the same one) that uses the monitor only for that situation. It will become more common and more expanded as we move forward, though.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 11:55am
beware big brother

My guess is that more schools will have a computer with the streaming feed moved to the table or within limits of use for replay, once they all start hearing about it being used in the cciw. Most of the schools are already streaming their games.
Old Wed Feb 17, 2016, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
I doubt it is ever followed at D3 level since there are not many, if any, that use video review. However, at least around here, that has changed. Recently a crew used the live stream feed, and yes the computer was at a table within 12 feet of the court, to decide if a shot at the end of regulation was good or not. Since then, the league has issued a memo that using this application is only allowed for game ending shots. None of the other replay situations can be used in their games.
If you work in any D2/D3 conferences where the NCAAW's SRE is within arm's length - as I do - the table probably has a stopwatch, trust me. I carry one for just such an emergency and I've given mine to the table crew more than a few times this season. Remember, the stopwatch isn't just for monitor reviews. It's supposed to be for timing timeouts and the intermission between the 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th periods.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 11:33am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmetfan View Post
if you work in any d2/d3 conferences where the ncaaw's sre is within arm's length - as i do - the table probably has a stopwatch, trust me. I carry one for just such an emergency and i've given mine to the table crew more than a few times this season. Remember, the stopwatch isn't just for monitor reviews. It's supposed to be for timing timeouts and the intermission between the 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th periods.
+1
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Is there some reason the replay video the officials use can't be shown with the time stamp visible? Then all you do is basic math. Time stamp of last frame - time stamp of first frame= total time. Simple.

A digital stopwatch is great, but there is no way to "slow" down a stop watch if you are going frame by frame, especially on buzzer beater type plays. You are then forced to simply re-time game speed replays and hope you get the clicks on the stopwatch right.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2016, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAlbc View Post
Is there some reason the replay video the officials use can't be shown with the time stamp visible? Then all you do is basic math. Time stamp of last frame - time stamp of first frame= total time. Simple.
It can. You just have to ask the production truck for that feed but if you don't ask, you won't get. The crew probably didn't feel it needed it since DV Sport has its own system built in.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2016, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
It can. You just have to ask the production truck for that feed but if you don't ask, you won't get. The crew probably didn't feel it needed it since DV Sport has its own system built in.
And we now know that DVSport has as much correctness as a certain poster on this forum.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2016, 11:07am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
And we now know that DVSport has as much correctness as a certain poster on this forum.
Please cease and desist with the gratuitous insults, even if they're made to unnamed posters.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2016, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Please cease and desist with the gratuitous insults, even if they're made to unnamed posters.
He's talking about YOU, Adam!
Old Fri Feb 19, 2016, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

A revision was just posted to the Memorandum on the Arbiter page. I'm even more confused now about when officials are allowed to use the monitor, and the procedures for using the digital stopwatch.

Due to a recent technological issue which arose during an instant replay review, the men’s and women’s rules committees are issuing this interpretation for the use of the stopwatch in future games.

When it is necessary to correct a timing mistake by the use of a stopwatch, only the digital stopwatch provided to the timer per Rule 2-10.1 may be used by the officials. The use of any other clock or timing device (including those that may be seen on instant replay equipment) to correct a timing
mistake
is not authorized. Further, officials should ensure that the timing mistake being reviewed is in real time.

This interpretation is not intended nor does it replace or retract the ability of an official to correct
other timing mistakes by using an on-screen game clock display being shown on an instant replay
monitor as long as the display is synchronized with the game clock or is an actual live picture of the game clock. Rule 11-1.1.

The bold portions are the revisions.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2016, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
A revision was just posted to the Memorandum on the Arbiter page. I'm even more confused now about when officials are allowed to use the monitor, and the procedures for using the digital stopwatch.

Due to a recent technological issue which arose during an instant replay review, the men’s and women’s rules committees are issuing this interpretation for the use of the stopwatch in future games.

When it is necessary to correct a timing mistake by the use of a stopwatch, only the digital stopwatch provided to the timer per Rule 2-10.1 may be used by the officials. The use of any other clock or timing device (including those that may be seen on instant replay equipment) to correct a timing
mistake
is not authorized. Further, officials should ensure that the timing mistake being reviewed is in real time.

This interpretation is not intended nor does it replace or retract the ability of an official to correct
other timing mistakes by using an on-screen game clock display being shown on an instant replay
monitor as long as the display is synchronized with the game clock or is an actual live picture of the game clock. Rule 11-1.1.

The bold portions are the revisions.
I have a feeling the change means we can no longer use time codes superimposed on a replay by the TV production truck. I've sent in an "Ask Jon" question for clarification.
Old Sat Feb 20, 2016, 04:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
I have a feeling the change means we can no longer use time codes superimposed on a replay by the TV production truck. I've sent in an "Ask Jon" question for clarification.
That is a huge step backwards, IMO. Yes, there was a bug. So fix it. The timecodes in the video are super accurate. They just counted them incorrectly.
Old Sat Feb 20, 2016, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
That is a huge step backwards, IMO. Yes, there was a bug. So fix it. The timecodes in the video are super accurate. They just counted them incorrectly.
There's a difference - from what I can see - between the time code used by DV Sport and the time code generated by replay machines in the production truck.

In the production truck (or an edit room), the time code will slow down/speed up relative to the speed at which the clip is playing unless the clip itself is altered. In other words, if I play the unaltered clip at 50% speed the time code will count at half-speed. DV Sport's equipment - at least in this case - showed the time code relative to how long the clip actually played, regardless of the speed of the clip involved. That's why I mentioned earlier the idea of having a TV person watch the video with the officials. I would've picked up on the speed/counter aspect because I work with editing equipment. Someone else wouldn't because it that isn't something in their heads.