The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Buzzer Beater. Or Not?

From another board. In a Minnesota Subsection semi final tonight a game ended on a buzzer beating shot. But did he get it off in time? I have no ties to either school and frankly want an officials opinion.

WORTHINGTON MN BB ending - YouTube

Last edited by APG; Fri Mar 08, 2013 at 01:07am. Reason: Embed is your friend
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 01:24am
Get away from me, Steve.

I do not think, based on just this video, that it was released in time.

I also wonder why there are 2 Cs, no L, and a T. And why did the C who quickly ran down to the lead position bang it home? Hell, it looks like ALL THREE of them count the bucket and the one guy who should've sold the hell out of it gave a weak little "basket counts" signal as he's tiptoeing off the court.

And then the one official stays way too long and the other two leave him on the court by himself.

Another case of stellar late-game officiating.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

No good based on this video. buzzer sounds the ball is released wave it off.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

2 guys leave their buddy hangin
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

This basket was NO GOOD on each of the three times I watched the video (if I watch it thirty more times I still won't be able to figure out what the officials were doing before, during, or after the shot.......).
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 09:28am
Esteemed Participant

Have to agree with the others so far. Did not get the shot off in time. And I have the same questions as Rich...plus one more: is Minn. one of those states that does not use 3 man crews until a certain point in the playoffs? Anyone know?
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 09:43am
TODO: creative title here

3-person isn't mandated in MN.

In the Twin Cities metro area, a couple of conferences require 3-person for varsity games. One conference that I know of uses 3-person for both varsity and JV games.

Some schools schedule 3 officials for their "top tier" varsity games, and 2 officials for the "regular" varsity games.

This season I had 10 2-person varsity, and 4 3-person varsity.

I have no idea if outstate schools (Worthington is in the southwest corner of the state) use 3-person during the regular season or not.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

The shot is no good, and that is the least of their worries. What in the hell are they doing? This is a complete clusterf*ck from the get go. There is a Lead, but then we have a Center and Trail on the same side of the court "stacked" on top of each other. This does not look good folks.

Edit: After watching again, the guy that is tableside did not pick up on a rotation just before the change of possession that went away from the camera. He should be the new Center, the guy with his back to us should be the Trail, and the guy in no-man's land opposite the table in the corner should be the new Lead. This is what happens when you just throw three guys out there who hardly ever work 3-person mechanics.

Last edited by zm1283; Fri Mar 08, 2013 at 09:54am.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
And then the one official stays way too long and the other two leave him on the court by himself.
I guess the guy who stayed too long likes to get yelled at. Why even address the coach after that anyway? You made the call, leave.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
This basket was NO GOOD on each of the three times I watched the video (if I watch it thirty more times I still won't be able to figure out what the officials were doing before, during, or after the shot.......).
They are officiating a playoff game duh!
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
the guy that is tableside did not pick up on a rotation just before the change of possession that went away from the camera. He should be the new Center, the guy with his back to us should be the Trail, and the guy in no-man's land opposite the table in the corner should be the new Lead. This is what happens when you just throw three guys out there who hardly ever work 3-person mechanics.
There wasn't even a rotation, really, nor should there have been since all three weren't in the frontcourt and there wasn't much time left in the quarter. I think the guy who was tableside simply forgot he was the C in the heat of the moment (FUBAR #1). The guy who had been the new T before the change of possession may have tried to compensate once he saw the guy on the other side run to the end line so he stopped in no-man's land (FUBAR #2). Why they both signaled the goal was good is a mystery (FUBAR #3). The guy who ended up being the T on the final shot is the only one who did what he was supposed to.

And yes, the shot was late. I would post a still frame but it's blurry since the camera was handheld.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Poor guys. They look up in years, especially the T who is away from table and responsible to sell either a made bucket that counts or waived off. Instead, he bolts for the locker room, then realizes his partners are going to the table for a conference and does an about face.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 10:30am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
I guess the guy who stayed too long likes to get yelled at. Why even address the coach after that anyway? You made the call, leave.
If you're going to gather with your partners to discuss the final shot, I don't see how a brief explanation to the coach hurts: "I heard the buzzer after the shot was released, Coach." Or, had it gone the other way, "The ball was still in his hands when the buzzer started, Coach."

I think just bolting off the floor when a coach is looking for an explanation sends the wrong message. What's wrong with keeping it brief, stating what happened, then getting off?
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
If you're going to gather with your partners to discuss the final shot, I don't see how a brief explanation to the coach hurts: "I heard the buzzer after the shot was released, Coach." Or, had it gone the other way, "The ball was still in his hands when the buzzer started, Coach."

I think just bolting off the floor when a coach is looking for an explanation sends the wrong message. What's wrong with keeping it brief, stating what happened, then getting off?
In this situation there was only one outcome that required staying on the floor: waving off the shot. If it's no good this game would've gone to OT. Why would I need to explain to the coach what I saw/heard if I scored the goal? That's going to be obvious and all being out there does is put me and the crew in harm's way.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2013, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
There wasn't even a rotation, really, nor should there have been since all three weren't in the frontcourt and there wasn't much time left in the quarter. I think the guy who was tableside simply forgot he was the C in the heat of the moment (FUBAR #1). The guy who had been the new T before the change of possession may have tried to compensate once he saw the guy on the other side run to the end line so he stopped in no-man's land (FUBAR #2). Why they both signaled the goal was good is a mystery (FUBAR #3). The guy who ended up being the T on the final shot is the only one who did what he was supposed to.

And yes, the shot was late. I would post a still frame but it's blurry since the camera was handheld.
They weren't in the frontcourt for the possession going away from us and the camera, I agree. I'm talking about the possession before the ball changes hands and we go the other way for the game-winning shot right when the video starts. It looks like the old Lead (New Trail) had just rotated to the side where the camera was right before the change of possession. The guy that was tableside did not realize this and thought he was still the old Trail/new Lead and went to the endline as a result instead of being the new Center like he should have been. I can't tell if the guy in the corner on our side figured it out or not. He looks completely lost like everyone else.

Edit: After watching it yet again, you could be right...I have no idea. You would think if the guy in the far lower left of the screen knew he was the Lead, he would have acted like it and let the guy tableside do his thing and let him live and die with his screw up. I still think the new Trail initiated a rotation and neither of the other two picked up on it. They were still in their old positions when White got control of the ball and took it the other way.

Last edited by zm1283; Fri Mar 08, 2013 at 10:46am.