The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Video Req - CSU/Boise St - Buzzer Beater waved off....stopwatch used? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100864-video-req-csu-boise-st-buzzer-beater-waved-off-stopwatch-used.html)

MechanicGuy Thu Feb 11, 2016 01:11am

Video Req - CSU/Boise St - Buzzer Beater waved off....stopwatch used?

I wasn't watching the game, but my Twitter timeline was in a bit of an uproar this evening.

From The Coloradoan
Quote:

Then in the first overtime, with the game tied at 84-84 and the clock showing 0:00.8, Boise State’s Anthony Drmic inbounded to James Webb III, who got his circus shot off with .4 seconds, and the ball went in. Except the officials went to the monitor to hand-time the play with a stopwatch. Apparently, referee Tom O’Niell said, the clock started too late and the play took 1.4 seconds.
A slow-mo video.....which isn't particularly helpful
Coloradoan

MechanicGuy Thu Feb 11, 2016 01:29am

Just saw the highlight on SportsCenter...no idea how they came to waving off that basket. SC showed it from two angles, timed it both times, and got .7 and .63

JetMetFan Thu Feb 11, 2016 07:05am

I've never seen it done before but under NCAA 2-7-6 they're well within their rights to use a stopwatch to correct errors and mistakes. That being said, I'm not sure where they got an extra 0.6 seconds between the player touching the ball and the clock starting but I'm also not the one using the stopwatch.

As a TV person I'd be inclined to trust ESPN's timing since they'd be using the time code from the video. But again, I'm not the one with the stopwatch.

ballgame99 Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:22am

Not sure if they had slow motion video or not, but watching the video at the link above and using my handy dandy stopwatch on my phone this bucket should have been good.

deecee Thu Feb 11, 2016 01:01pm

cant wait for the conference's take on this. I think the officials screwed up and got this wrong.

RefCT Thu Feb 11, 2016 01:17pm

Deadspin posted on this: Stopwatch-Wielding Referees Blow It, Overturn Boise State Buzzer-BeaterÂ*

According to the stmt, they used a stopwatch available on the replay monitor? Wow, that is a horrible idea for many tech reasons.

ballgame99 Thu Feb 11, 2016 01:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RefCT (Post 980509)
Deadspin posted on this: Stopwatch-Wielding Referees Blow It, Overturn Boise State Buzzer-BeaterÂ*

According to the stmt, they used a stopwatch available on the replay monitor? Wow, that is a horrible idea for many tech reasons.

Exactly, doesn't the video they have available to them have time stamps on it? If not, why not?

Toren Thu Feb 11, 2016 01:31pm

The conference has issued a statement that the call was correct.

I didn't really have many doubts with the crew that was on the floor.

Adam Thu Feb 11, 2016 01:39pm

According to Dave Hall's statement, released by the MW, this wasn't just a "stopwatch" as most people think of it.

“The protocol on any last-second shot, after the shot is made, you go to the monitor to review whether the shot was taken in time or not. We followed the protocol, we went to the monitor and we reviewed whether the shot was taken in the 0.8 seconds that was on the game clock when the ball was inbounded. We did that and we noticed that the game clock was not started upon touch. We then used a stopwatch overlay from the monitor review system to determine when he touched it and then figure out how many tenths of a second it took from the time he touched the ball until the time he released the ball and whether he was able to get that shot off in that 0.8 seconds. After reviewing that several times we determined that the shot was late. It was not taken in that 0.8-second time frame, but actually closer to 1.2 or 1.3 time frame. As a result, the basket does not count.”

If this was a mistake, it's a mistake with the stopwatch overlay.

deecee Thu Feb 11, 2016 01:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 980511)

citation please.

MechanicGuy Thu Feb 11, 2016 02:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 980511)

How? It's CLEARLY incorrect. It may not be the fault of the officials necessarily, but he clearly got the shot off.

JRutledge Thu Feb 11, 2016 02:10pm

Play in question....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cI7qYBkbeIc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

Dad Thu Feb 11, 2016 02:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 980513)
According to Dave Hall's statement, released by the MW, this wasn't just a "stopwatch" as most people think of it.

“The protocol on any last-second shot, after the shot is made, you go to the monitor to review whether the shot was taken in time or not. We followed the protocol, we went to the monitor and we reviewed whether the shot was taken in the 0.8 seconds that was on the game clock when the ball was inbounded. We did that and we noticed that the game clock was not started upon touch. We then used a stopwatch overlay from the monitor review system to determine when he touched it and then figure out how many tenths of a second it took from the time he touched the ball until the time he released the ball and whether he was able to get that shot off in that 0.8 seconds. After reviewing that several times we determined that the shot was late. It was not taken in that 0.8-second time frame, but actually closer to 1.2 or 1.3 time frame. As a result, the basket does not count.”

If this was a mistake, it's a mistake with the stopwatch overlay.

:confused:

bwburke94 Thu Feb 11, 2016 02:20pm

A frame-by-frame analysis shows that the call was wrong. Boise got hosed.

A Pennsylvania Coach Thu Feb 11, 2016 02:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MechanicGuy (Post 980464)
Just saw the highlight on SportsCenter...no idea how they came to waving off that basket. SC showed it from two angles, timed it both times, and got .7 and .63

Maybe they timed a slow motion replay???