The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 07, 2015, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Buzzer Beater In MN Section Title Game Friday night (Video)

Last night(Friday) in a section championship game in Moorhead MN it came down to a last second(literally) shot to win the game. The game was televised on a Fargo TV station and the last 10 seconds or so are here. Watch it and at regular speed determine if the shot is good. Than start and stop the final possession in the final 2 seconds or so and make the decision.(For the record there is a picture out there that shows whether the call is correct or not).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CydA...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by APG; Sat Mar 07, 2015 at 05:12pm. Reason: embed is love, embed is life
Old Sat Mar 07, 2015, 02:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Count It ...

Thanks for sharing paulsonj72. Nice video. Very exciting ending.

In real time, I thought that the shot was good. It took me several times of starting, and stopping, the video to confirm that the shot was good. The red lights on the backboard helped a lot. The horn was difficult to hear, but if I had to just use the horn, I would have also counted the basket.

Is this a state that permits 2-2-1 (A state association may permit game or replay officials to use a replay monitor during state championship series contests to determine if a try for goal at the expiration of time in the fourth quarter or any overtime period (0:00 on the game clock) should be counted, and if so, determine if it is a two or a three point goal)? If so, was there a replay?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Mar 07, 2015 at 03:02pm.
Old Sat Mar 07, 2015, 02:59pm
In Time Out

looks good to me, if it was he got it off by a tenth of a second.
8A? Is there 8 divisions? I'm used to California when there are 5 I think. There is one open division.
Old Sat Mar 07, 2015, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
looks good to me, if it was he got it off by a tenth of a second.
8A? Is there 8 divisions? I'm used to California when there are 5 I think. There is one open division.
4 Classes. Minnesota is broken down into 4 classes with 8 sections(or regions) per class. Sections are numbered 1-8 and the class(A-AAAA)after the number. Each section has a tournament to determine the state tournament representative for the section and this was the championship game in Section(Region)8 Class 2A with the winner advancing to the 8 team state tournament next week in Minneapolis.

Last edited by paulsonj72; Sat Mar 07, 2015 at 04:27pm.
Old Sat Mar 07, 2015, 03:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Wrong Side Of The Tracks .,..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
There is one open division.
I wish we had open divisions here in Connecticut. The Catholic high schools, and the new magnet high schools, and charter high schools, are not supposed to recruit kids for athletics (wink, wink, nod), but they do draw kids from across geographic boundaries that the "regular" public high schools are not allowed to cross, and in the case of cities with more that one "regular" public high school, can't even take kids from the other side of town.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Mar 21, 2015 at 12:52pm.
Old Sat Mar 07, 2015, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Thanks for sharing paulsonj72. Nice video. Very exciting ending.

In real time, I thought that the shot was good. It took me several times of starting, and stopping, the video to confirm that the shot was good. The red lights on the backboard helped a lot. The horn was difficult to hear, but if I had to just use the horn, I would have also counted the basket.

Is this a state that permits 2-2-1 (A state association may permit game or replay officials to use a replay monitor during state championship series contests to determine if a try for goal at the expiration of time in the fourth quarter or any overtime period (0:00 on the game clock) should be counted, and if so, determine if it is a two or a three point goal)? If so, was there a replay?
I don't think so. This game wasn't technically in the state tournament but section tournament and MN has a history of letting sections run there own tourneys without too much interference from the state. And to my knowledge this was the only Section Championship game to be televised across the state of Minnesota. It was televised by a station in Fargo ND as the market goes in to MN and both schools are in the market. This station usually does a section championship game in MN from Moorhead which is just across the border and is actually part of the metro area. And yes Minnesota does use replay in the state tournament. I believe MN was the 1st state to do so as it was put into the rules in 2006 AFTER the famous Blake Hoffarber seat of his pants shot in 2005.
Old Sat Mar 07, 2015, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I wish we had open divisions here in Connecticut. The Catholic high schools, and the new magnet high schools, and charter high schools, are not supposed to recruit kids for athletics (wink, wink), but they do draw kids from across geographic boundaries that the "regular" public high schools are not allowed to cross, and in the case of cities with more that one "regular" public high school, cant even take kids from the other side of town.
In MN this year we have 1 private school in Class 3A(traditional basketball power) 1 in Class 2A and 2 in Class 1A. In classes 1 and 2A there are two sections(regions) in the Twin Cities that are made up of almost exclusively private and charter schools that are not very good(more so in 1A that 2A) There a couple of Minneapolis city schools in Classes 1 and 2A as well as a few smaller inner ring suburban schools in 2A. There are some private schools outside the twin cities metro are and in a couple of sections they made finals. In one section it was an all private school final but AFAIK each private school in that section draws students from a larger area due to the fact they are the only private christian high school school for miles around. We(in Class 1A) also have 2 schools made up of exclusively native american students make it for the 2nd straight year. One of the schools is the public school on the reservation and the other one i'm not as sure about. Quite an eclectic mix of schools in the tourney.
Old Sat Mar 07, 2015, 04:05pm
Courageous When Prudent

I have it good in real time, and in slow motion. I could not hear the horn, so I'm going strictly by visual clock.
Old Sat Mar 07, 2015, 04:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Thank God For Red Lights ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I could not hear the horn ...
It was a buzzer, not a horn. Tough to hear over the crowd, and the very excited game announcers.

http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/...-hearing-test/

I can hear the 14,000 Hertz sound, but I can't hear the 15,000 Hertz sound.

And, please, no comments about me being, "As old as dirt".

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Mar 07, 2015 at 04:32pm.
Old Sat Mar 07, 2015, 05:38pm
Official & Member

If clock in the video is official and it is synched correctly, the shot's good. After rewinding and pausing multiple times I was able to isolate on a frame that shows the ball out of the shooters hands with .01 showing on the clock. That's actually a bit of a surprise...It looked good with time to spare in real time to me.

This would be a textbook example of it being a good idea to use replay in a state tournament game.
Old Sat Mar 07, 2015, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Somehow, I managed to pause the video on a frame with 0.1 on the clock in the graphic, but the red lights on. I couldn't see the scoreboard clock in the frame.
Old Sat Mar 07, 2015, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

On this message board there is a pic on page 25. If someone can figure out how to isolate the picture please feel free to do so. It's the 4th post down and you need to scroll down on the pic but it's pretty clear.

http://forum.minnesota-scores.net/vi...4a0f&start=240
Old Sat Mar 07, 2015, 06:13pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
Somehow, I managed to pause the video on a frame with 0.1 on the clock in the graphic, but the red lights on. I couldn't see the scoreboard clock in the frame.
Me as well.

Having said that, I have the shot good when using the horn. How can a red light be on and the clock not read zeroes?
Old Sat Mar 07, 2015, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Me as well.

Having said that, I have the shot good when using the horn. How can a red light be on and the clock not read zeroes?
IIRC there can be a very slight delay between the clock shown on TV if not synced with the official clock. I'm guessing this TV broadcast wasn't synced to the official clock.
Old Sat Mar 07, 2015, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Me as well.

Cause that's not the game clock...TV clocks are notoriously of by .1 or .2....even on ESPN/CBS broadcasts
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.