Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 12, 2016, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Looks like it is late.

Peace
Not true. It has already been determined that the stopwatch at the bottom of the screen was running in double time. It counted 0.2 seconds for every real 0.1 second. So, the actual time taken was half of what it indicated.

The game clock, once it started, dropped to 0.7 as the stopwatch changed from 0.6 to 0.7. The game clock was at 0.4 when the stop watch hit 1.2/1.3. So, the game clock changed 0.3 in the same time the stopwatch changed 0.6.

The officials trusted the technology on the screen without realizing that the stopwatch was changing twice as fast as the game clock. I wouldn't expect them to verify that the technology was working right...that isn't their job.

It has been determined to be a bug in the software or improperly configured software.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sat Feb 13, 2016 at 04:01pm.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2016, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Jrut, thats the faulty clock. you will see the stopwatch and the game clock are moving at 2 different speeds. Either the game clock is broken or this replay clock is. But there is no way. This may just be what was released to show what the officials used.

When the game clock is at .6 the stopwatch is at .8, and when the game clock reaches .4 the stopwatch is at 1.2.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2016, 05:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

The point is that is what they used. It is not on anyone but the technology, which is my problem with all of this. There is too much usage of technology to determine things that were never determined before. Now you have the expectation of perfect with something that is flawed if not all the factors considered.

Again, this is what they used and what the rules say to use. This is what happens when you get people that never had to rule on anything making rules they do not have to enforce.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 12, 2016, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The point is that is what they used. It is not on anyone but the technology, which is my problem with all of this. There is too much usage of technology to determine things that were never determined before. Now you have the expectation of perfect with something that is flawed if not all the factors considered.

Again, this is what they used and what the rules say to use. This is what happens when you get people that never had to rule on anything making rules they do not have to enforce.

Peace
I can't wait until robots officiate. Do you think they will take ANY crap from coaches or players. Coach's toe is on the coach's box line - T. Kid looks at the ref wrong - T. Coach yawns - T.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2016, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
The rules they made are just fine. There was a bug in the program, not a problem with the rule or the protocol. Like it or not, technology is far better at these things than humans. People expect it to be right but mistakes are still made. This will be fixed and it will not happen again.

We could do it like soccer and just have the referee decide the game has ended somewhere after the time actually runs out.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Fri Feb 12, 2016 at 08:19pm.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2016, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

We could also do like football and have the game end at the end of the play that's underway when time expires. For basketball, I would say that the game ends when neither team is in team control after time has expired. If nobody's in control, game's over at once; if control is given up for a try, the game extends through the end of that try.

...nah, I like what we have better.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2016, 07:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The rules they made are just fine. There was a bug in the program, not a problem with the rule or the protocol. Like or not, technology is far better at these things than humans. People expect it to be right but mistakes are still made. This will be fixed and it will not happen again.

We could do it like soccer and just have the referee decide the game has ended somewhere after the time actually runs out.
Better they find out now with a game (relatively) no one cares about than have something like this come up in March.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2016, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn335 View Post
We could also do like football and have the game end at the end of the play that's underway when time expires. For basketball, I would say that the game ends when neither team is in team control after time has expired. If nobody's in control, game's over at once; if control is given up for a try, the game extends through the end of that try.

...nah, I like what we have better.
The same problem still exists....it has just moved. It may be less frequent, however. There would still be the question of whether a player/team obtained control before or after time expired.
Old Sat Feb 13, 2016, 05:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Not true. It has already been determined that the stopwatch at the bottom of the screen was running in double time. I counted 0.2 seconds for every real 0.1 second. So, the actual time taken was half of what it indicated.

The game clock, once it started, dropped to 0.7 as the stopwatch changed from 0.6 to 0.7. The game clock was at 0.4 when the stop watch hit 1.2/1.3. So, the game clock changed 0.3 in the same time the stopwatch changed 0.6.

The officials trusted the technology on the screen without realizing that the stopwatch was changing twice as fast as the game clock. I wouldn't expect them to verify that the technology was working right...that isn't their job.

It has been determined to be a bug in the software or improperly configured software.
I didn't realize there were bugs in the system. Glad I know now before ever having the chance to use it. As I said earlier, I'm a TV guy which is why I was inclined to take ESPN's numbers. When they showed the initial replay they said they took the in- and out-points on the video from the time the BSU player touched the ball until he released it. Not an exact science either but as was mentioned both came up at less than 0:00.8.

Quote:

Peace
I'm not going to pan the technology but you do have to have someone there with the officials who knows how to use it, at least when it comes to a timing situation. A TV person watching it with them would most likely have picked up on the glitch. I am with you in one sense: Sometimes you can tell when something doesn't feel right. To me it didn't feel like it took 0:00.6 for the game clock to start after the ball was touched.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun Feb 14, 2016, 04:06am
Official Forum Member

• Andy KatzESPN Senior Writer
Boise State wants a victory over Colorado State after the Mountain West Conference on Friday reversed its initial call and said a last-second 3-pointer by James Webb III should have counted and given the Broncos an 87-85 overtime victory earlier this week.
"Absolutely,'' Boise State coach Leon Rice told ESPN on Friday night. "A rule was broken in that they used a video that was not synced up, and you can't do that.''
Colorado State beat Boise State 97-93 in the second overtime, after Webb's shot was discounted to end the first. The banked 3-pointer was initially called good by the officials, but after huddling up at midcourt and watching a video replay, they overturned the call. The league then issued another statement Thursday and released the video it used to prove its point.
Initially, officials said the elapsed time of the shot took more in the range of 1.2 or 1.3 seconds instead of the 0.8 seconds that were remaining on the clock. But further video analysis was called for.
On Friday, the conference said there was a discrepancy between the "rate at which the embedded digital stopwatch advanced and the rate at which the game clock regressed during the instant replay review.'' The MWC's statement went on to say the officials made the correct decision with the evidence they had at the time. But the conference office said it didn't see a video at full speed from the production truck.
Ultimately, the conference said the one replay angle from the opposite baseline camera the officials were using wasn't at full speed when it was seen on television, and as a result the embedded stopwatch outpaced the video, giving the officials a false reading. The conference concluded by saying after measuring the timing of the shot again that Webb's shot should have counted and did get off within the 0.8 seconds remaining.
Rice said one of the officials told him Wednesday that they would take as long as needed to get the call right.
"That being said, we have an opportunity to get it right now,'' Rice said.
The Mountain West cited Rule 5, Section 5, that a result of a game cannot be overturned.
"We're doing all we can,'' Rice said. "I don't believe there is a formal protest, but it wasn't human error, it was a technological error, so the game should be over and Boise should get the W.''
Boise State (16-9, 7-5) fell into a fourth-place tie in the Mountain West with the loss. It's a game behind second-place teams Fresno State and New Mexico in the loss column and four games behind first-place San Diego State.
"It makes a big difference in the conference,'' Rice said. "We would be in second.''
Old Sun Feb 14, 2016, 04:45am
Official Forum Member

The above post reverses what was stated below in this previous release.

I had to laugh at the comment attributed to DVSport stating that its system worked correctly when we can all see that it didn't. (deleted)

======================================
Mountain West: Refs made right call in Boise State vs. CSU game

Official stopwatch replay video of controversial ending of the first overtime between Boise State and Colorado State on Wednesday at Moby Arena. Mountain West

The referees made the correct call. That's the official statement coming from the Mountain West on Thursday, after carefully reviewing the controversial overturned call at the end of the first overtime between Boise State and CSU on Wednesday at Moby Arena.

There were 0.8 seconds remaining when Boise State's Anthony Drmic inbounded to James Webb III. Webb appeared to have made a miraculous game-winning 3-pointer, getting the ball out of his hands with 0.4 seconds showing on the clock, but after going to the monitor, the officiating crew used a stopwatch system to determine that the clock started late and that the play took closer to 1.3 seconds; therefore, the basket did not count. The video of that play and the overlay officials used is above.
CONTROVERSY: Breaking down finish between Boise State, CSU
That ruling was correct, the Mountain West office said in a news release. David Hall, Verne Harris and Tom O'Neill used the correct protocol to fix the timing error.
"The Mountain West Coordinator of Officials, the NCAA National Coordinator of Officials, the NCAA Secretary-Rules Editor and the MW Conference office have reviewed the play extensively and consulted on the administration of the video review. It has been determined the game officials executed the appropriate protocol and made the correct call.
It is standard procedure to review potential game-ending baskets and the game officials came to their determination utilizing the official video and embedded clock technology within the approved multi-camera capture instant replay system. ...
It is clear 1.2 to 1.3 seconds elapsed from the time the player touched the ball to the time the shot was released, and that the game clock did not start for several tenths of a second after the initial touch. Thus, the basket did not count – regardless of what was ultimately reflected on the game clock or what other unofficial video replays may appear to indicate.
Finally, some question has been raised regarding the preceding play, where Colorado State turned the ball over. The Mountain West has also reviewed that play utilizing the official replay system and determined the clock stopped correctly at 0.8 second(s) once the official blew his whistle for the backcourt violation. His whistle stopped the clock automatically via the Precision Timing System at that instant."
But when watching the video, it appears to (sic) stopwatch time is moving faster that the arena's clock. The Coloradoan contacted DVSport, which said its system worked correctly and that all questions should be directed to the Mountain West Conference. The conference has not commented about the stopwatch's speed.
CSU won the game 97-93 in double overtime.
For insight and analysis on athletics around Northern Colorado and the Mountain West, follow sports columnist Matt L. Stephens at twitter.com/mattstephens and facebook.com/stephensreporting.

Last edited by Adam; Sun Feb 14, 2016 at 11:38am. Reason: personal attack
Old Sun Feb 14, 2016, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I had to laugh at the comment attributed to DVSport stating that its system worked correctly when we can all see that it didn't.
I think what DVSport is saying is the system worked properly given the video clip that was used, which is correct. They're putting it back on the video coordinator and the officials for either not noticing it was a slo-mo clip or not asking the people in the truck to only use regular-speed clips.

Yeah it's semantics but they have a product to protect.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun Feb 14, 2016, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
I think what DVSport is saying is the system worked properly given the video clip that was used, which is correct. They're putting it back on the video coordinator and the officials for either not noticing it was a slo-mo clip or not asking the people in the truck to only use regular-speed clips.

Yeah it's semantics but they have a product to protect.
Agree...they may be right, that their system worked correctly. The operator of the equipment may be required to configure it for the format of the video being fed to it. If so, then it could be operator error (the video production crew, not the officials), not a software bug.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 12:04am
Courageous When Prudent

Update: New interp for Men's and Women's.

"Due to a recent technological issue which arose during an instant replay review, the men’s and women’s rules committees are issuing this interpretation for the use of the stopwatch in future games. When it is necessary to correct a timing mistake by the use of a stopwatch, only the digital stopwatch provided to the timer per Rule 2-10.1 may be used by the officials. The use of any other clock or timing device (including those that may be seen on instant replay equipment) is not authorized."
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Here is the full excerpt. Not sure if they are doubling down are providing an escape clause.

"Per Rule 2
-
10.1 the official timer must be provided with a digital stopwatch for use by the
timers and
officials during the course of the game to correct timing errors. For example:
The game clock is stopped when it should have been running.
The officials believe the game clock failed to start correctly when the ball was legally
touched by an i
nbounds player who then releases the ball for a successful try.
The timer fails to start the game clock correctly.
To determine the amount of time to put back on the shot clock when the shot clock operator
mistakenly resets the shot clock.
These are exa
mples only and do not exhaust the possibilities for other uses of the digital stopwatch.
Due to a recent technological issue which arose during an instant replay review, the men’s and
women’s rules committees are issuing this interpretation for the use of
the stopwatch in future games.
When it is necessary to correct a timing mistake by the use of a stopwatch, only the digital stopwatch
provided to the timer per Rule 2
-
10.1 may be used by the officials. The use of any other clock or timing
device (includin
g those that may be seen on instant replay equipment) is not authorized.
This interpretation is not intended nor does it replace or retract the ability of an official to correct other
timing mistakes by using an on
-
screen game clock display being shown o
n an instant replay monitor
as long as the display is synchronized with the game clock or is an actual live picture of the game
clock. Rule 11-1.1"