The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

I'm in favor of five team fouls per quarter being the threshold and resetting the count with each new quarter.
Of course, the NFHS will have to specify that there is no reset of the foul count for extra periods!
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 08:28pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
It may create more situations where their is potential contact. With 6', the defender can get a count going at 6' with little risk of contact. At 3', the chance for contact certainly rises.
Agreed.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I'm in favor of five team fouls per quarter being the threshold and resetting the count with each new quarter.
I was neutral on that issue. The pros and cons (many of which have been articulated here) seem quite balanced.

That said, if the rule is changed, I will watch with amusement as states like MN, WI, RI, etc., try to figure out what they're going to do with the halves they currently play in. You can either suck it up and go back to quarters, or basically keep the current 1-and-1 rule as a supplemental state rule. Or perhaps compromise and eliminate 1-and-1 at 7, but go straight to two free throws at 10 for the half.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

With NCAAW shifting to quarters, the current trend looks to be playing quarters at all levels of competition.
HS = 8 minutes, college = 10 minutes, NBA = 12 minutes, FIBA = 10 minutes
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

I'm surprised no one has brought up the "unintentionally slapping the backboard in a legitimate attempt to block the shot is BI" idea.

I hate it. The NFHS realizes no one is calling Ts for backboard slaps anymore and that most are borderline situations where there's at least some reasonable doubt about the player's intentions. Yet the offended coach always stands up and yells, "that's goaltending!" proving time and time again that most coaches know nothing about the rules.

Meanwhile the NCAA wrote a very nice rule change a couple years back that adds such a BI clause when the ball is on/in the basket or in the cylinder. That makes sense, especially in college where many backboards are portable and therefore less rigid.

The way the NFHS idea was written in the survey, it seems like we want to start calling BI when the backboard gets slapped on a shot regardless of the ball's location at the time. I don't like that idea; you would end up deterring a lot of good shot block attempts, and coaches would still be PO'd, only this time when on defense vice offense.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 10:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
I'm surprised no one has brought up the "unintentionally slapping the backboard in a legitimate attempt to block the shot is BI" idea.
I think that would be a horrible idea. For one HS kids are often trying to block shots and even the college rule it is a judgment call. Officials would still not call it unless you say any touch of the backboard is a violation.

Quote:
I hate it. The NFHS realizes no one is calling Ts for backboard slaps anymore and that most are borderline situations where there's at least some reasonable doubt about the player's intentions. Yet the offended coach always stands up and yells, "that's goaltending!" proving time and time again that most coaches know nothing about the rules.
Again, not very many reasons to even call a T. It is rare and it is often an attempt to make a block missed. Most kids are not getting up there in the first place. A none issue.

Quote:
Meanwhile the NCAA wrote a very nice rule change a couple years back that adds such a BI clause when the ball is on/in the basket or in the cylinder. That makes sense, especially in college where many backboards are portable and therefore less rigid.
Still waiting for even a situation to call this and it has not happen. And I rarely see this ever happen on TV. Again, a none issue.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 10:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Fouls should be a deterrent, not a strategy at the high school level. That might work for older and smarter players, but resetting after the quarter is silly IMO. And it does not seem to make the game faster at the women's side at least when we work behind them in our men's games most of the time. It seems like these games take longer than they used to.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

I'm even more surprised nobody's brought up the question about eliminating the jump ball at the start of the game. They can't really be considering this, can they?

Are we going to have to include a coin toss now in our captains meetings?!?
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 10:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
I'm even more surprised nobody's brought up the question about eliminating the jump ball at the start of the game. They can't really be considering this, can they?

Iowa did this for girl's basketball at one time. Not sure if that is still the case. I think that is why it was probably considered.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Iowa did this for girl's basketball at one time. Not sure if that is still the case. I think that is why it was probably considered.

Peace
Do you know their reasoning?
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

At least, at long last, there'd finally be a reason to ask who the speaking captain is.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
At least, at long last, there'd finally be a reason to ask who the speaking captain is.
This post, For The Win!!!
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 11:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Do you know their reasoning?
I was told safety years ago when I heard this was a rule. I am not sure if that was the actual reason, but it was what people believed at the time.

Keep in mind Iowa had a long standing 6 on 6 basketball with some funky rules to that alone. So it does not surprise me this was a different rules set. Also Iowa still has different associations, one for boys and the other for girls. It is a weird state from how they do things IMO.

I was licensed in Iowa for 2 years in the sport of baseball. They played during the summer and it was a lot of fun. But the requirements were different than Illinois.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Mon Feb 08, 2016 at 11:39pm.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I was told safety years ago when I heard this was a rule. I am not sure if that was the actual reason, but it was what people believed at the time.

Peace
Perhaps safety for us as much as safety for the players. Seems like once or twice a season there's a video of an official getting clocked by an elbow during the jump ball.

But seriously, if they're worried about kids getting hurt during the jump ball, might as well cancel the whole game.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
BTW, among the reasons why NCAAW went to two shots after the 5th foul was to reduce contact during FTs. They also wanted to increase scoring.

Removing one potential CE is a nice added benefit.
The two-shot foul should discourage fouling, as the penalty appears to be stiffer.
But honestly, the kid that misses the first in high school is likely to miss the second one...
Here's an idea: stop fouling!