The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 11:53pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
I'm even more surprised nobody's brought up the question about eliminating the jump ball at the start of the game. They can't really be considering this, can they?

Are we going to have to include a coin toss now in our captains meetings?!?
I would go with visiting team gets the ball to start the game, if it was to be eliminated. In tournaments, the higher seed, meaning the #1 seed, would get the ball first.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 12:08am
Esteemed Forum Member

Three Feet ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I don't see how 3 feet would be any more difficult to officiate than 6 feet. If the player is inside 3 feet you're counting anyway.
True within three feet, but it's a lot easier to officiate such action if the defender is between three feet and six feet away.

Setting the distance at three feet will encourage defenders to get closer to get a count going which will also set up a situation where contact, or a held ball, or a timeout, is likely.

These situations are unlikely with a count going at six feet, where a defender may just settle for a five second closely guarded violation, and will not have to move in for the coup de grâce.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Feb 09, 2016 at 07:19am.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

Only change I want is to make the equipment rules punishable beyond making the player change/remove the item. Force the coaches to be the fashion police instead of us.

If they have to sit an entire game because players run on the court with illegal leg sleeves, they probably won't make that mistake a second time.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm even more surprised nobody's brought up the question about eliminating the jump ball at the start of the game. They can't really be considering this, can they?

Are we going to have to include a coin toss now in our captains meetings?!?
I've been expecting this for years. The jump ball is an anachronistic play which no longer really has anything to do with the game. It's days were numbered once the AP arrow was introduced.

I expect the visiting team will get the first possession and the home team will get the arrow.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 09:10am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicGuy View Post
Only change I want is to make the equipment rules punishable beyond making the player change/remove the item. Force the coaches to be the fashion police instead of us.

If they have to sit an entire game because players run on the court with illegal leg sleeves, they probably won't make that mistake a second time.
I would like to know to what extent, if any, are coaches held responsible for their players wearing illegal uniforms, undershirts, etc. I get the feeling that they aren't held responsible at all, and therefore policing those rules has been left to us.

Issue fines to schools whose coaches aren't abiding the rules. Making it warning the first time, then a small fine, etc... I don't care. But we have enough to think about and do for the actual game.

And if they care so much about those fashion rules, then this is the best way to avoid them being broken.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 09:16am
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
I've been expecting this for years. The jump ball is an anachronistic play which no longer really has anything to do with the game. It's days were numbered once the AP arrow was introduced.

I expect the visiting team will get the first possession and the home team will get the arrow.

If they did go to this, I would not have to remember which way to run once a team gains possession
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 11:07am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Iowa did this for girl's basketball at one time. Not sure if that is still the case. I think that is why it was probably considered.

Peace
Quote:
Do you know their reasoning?
Rut mentions it, but it was a hold-over rule from their half court 6-on-6 days. For about fifteen years, they had both 5 player and 6 player schools (smaller schools mainly played 6), and after the 92-93 season they eliminated the 6 player option.

for a while, they still held on to some of the big rule differences, though.

Girls allowed the coaching box, boys did not.
Girls used a coin toss to start the game, boys did not.
On an AP throw-in, the arrow was switched as soon as the thrower had it at her disposal, boys used the NFHS rule.

I think they gave up their differences around 10 years ago, shortly after I moved from Iowa to Colorado. As Rut mentions, they still have different associations, though.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 11:07am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

I'd expect a coin toss if they make the change.

I'm ambivalent on the issue, but I marked "no" on the survey.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I still hate the AP, but can't imagine it going away. And, while it's not particularly important in the grand scheme, I like the fact that the game starts with each team having a chance to get the ball on the jump, and I'd hate to see it go away.

BUT, with the implementation of the AP, it seems to me that the execution of the jump gets worse and worse -- the players don't really practice it because it isn't that important (though in the 8th grade team I helped coach, we did run a play off the opening jump and probably got opening layups in half the games we played because we took the jump seriously) and the referees (sorry guys) often don't seem to manage it well (last night I watched a JV game start with the players not realizing the ball was about to go up -- one jumper jumped late and the other never did, with 8 startled players around them [and these were pretty good JV teams]).

At this point, the only reason I can see to keep the jump is tradition -- so I agree it is a matter of time until it goes away, but I think it will still be a while because of the tradition.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refhoop View Post
The two-shot foul should discourage fouling, as the penalty appears to be stiffer.
But honestly, the kid that misses the first in high school is likely to miss the second one...
Here's an idea: stop fouling!
I don't even know where to start.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 11:54am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
I still hate the AP, but can't imagine it going away. And, while it's not particularly important in the grand scheme, I like the fact that the game starts with each team having a chance to get the ball on the jump, and I'd hate to see it go away.
I can predict who will win the jump 80 to 90% of the time.

Why should the team with the tallest player get an advantage in the process that determines the first possession?

That said, I like the opening jump....whether tossing it myself or not.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
I would like to know to what extent, if any, are coaches held responsible for their players wearing illegal uniforms, undershirts, etc. I get the feeling that they aren't held responsible at all, and therefore policing those rules has been left to us.

Issue fines to schools whose coaches aren't abiding the rules. Making it warning the first time, then a small fine, etc... I don't care. But we have enough to think about and do for the actual game.

And if they care so much about those fashion rules, then this is the best way to avoid them being broken.
We are on the court 15 minutes prior to the game starting. Only one of us is checking the book at the 10-minute mark. Other than the captain's meeting that takes a minute or two, what else do we have to do during those 15 minutes? I'm not trying to be a wise ass, I'm serious. If officials would just take care of the uniform stuff consistently early in the season, it would eliminate most of the headaches. There would still be some teams that wouldn't figure it out, but most would. I can think of two girls' teams right now where I made them change something earlier in the season then saw them again later in the season and they were completely in line with the uniform rules. I'm not taking credit for it, but they figured it out somewhere along the line between those games.

I've heard about a half dozen coaches this season tell me that no one has made them match headbands/leg sleeves/etc all year, and these aren't coaches who I think would lie about this.

Every sport has administrative type rules like this. Football has uniform and equipment rules that the officials have to enforcd. Baseball has rules about sleeve color, etc. Just take care of it and move on. If they don't like it, they'll get over it.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post

For illegal UNIFORMS, the head coach gets a direct T.

Everything else such as headbands, tights, sleeves, t-shirts, etc. are PLAYER EQUIPMENT, and those rules apply.

As to penalties for illegal player equipment, currently the player(s) are simply not allowed to be on the court, including warm-ups, if they do not comply with those rules, but changes may be coming in the future - North Carolina is currently in the 2nd year of an experimental rule .....for illegal player equipment the head coach gets a direct T, just like for illegal uniforms.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 02:28pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post

Everything else such as headbands, tights, sleeves, t-shirts, etc. are PLAYER EQUIPMENT, and those rules apply.

As to penalties for illegal player equipment, currently the player(s) are simply not allowed to be on the court, including warm-ups, if they do not comply with those rules, but changes may be coming in the future - North Carolina is currently in the 2nd year of an experimental rule .....for illegal player equipment the head coach gets a direct T, just like for illegal uniforms.
That's what I get for writing here at work.

I like the bigger penalty. Just something so coaches take care of it.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 02:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post

Question, maybe you don't know.

With the experimental rule, do the players get to participate with the illegal equipment at the cost of a T just like they participate with illegal uniforms at the cost of a T?