View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

I'm surprised no one has brought up the "unintentionally slapping the backboard in a legitimate attempt to block the shot is BI" idea.

I hate it. The NFHS realizes no one is calling Ts for backboard slaps anymore and that most are borderline situations where there's at least some reasonable doubt about the player's intentions. Yet the offended coach always stands up and yells, "that's goaltending!" proving time and time again that most coaches know nothing about the rules.

Meanwhile the NCAA wrote a very nice rule change a couple years back that adds such a BI clause when the ball is on/in the basket or in the cylinder. That makes sense, especially in college where many backboards are portable and therefore less rigid.

The way the NFHS idea was written in the survey, it seems like we want to start calling BI when the backboard gets slapped on a shot regardless of the ball's location at the time. I don't like that idea; you would end up deterring a lot of good shot block attempts, and coaches would still be PO'd, only this time when on defense vice offense.