The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 02:42pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
We are on the court 15 minutes prior to the game starting. Only one of us is checking the book at the 10-minute mark. Other than the captain's meeting that takes a minute or two, what else do we have to do during those 15 minutes? I'm not trying to be a wise ass, I'm serious. If officials would just take care of the uniform stuff consistently early in the season, it would eliminate most of the headaches. There would still be some teams that wouldn't figure it out, but most would. I can think of two girls' teams right now where I made them change something earlier in the season then saw them again later in the season and they were completely in line with the uniform rules. I'm not taking credit for it, but they figured it out somewhere along the line between those games.

I've heard about a half dozen coaches this season tell me that no one has made them match headbands/leg sleeves/etc all year, and these aren't coaches who I think would lie about this.

Every sport has administrative type rules like this. Football has uniform and equipment rules that the officials have to enforcd. Baseball has rules about sleeve color, etc. Just take care of it and move on. If they don't like it, they'll get over it.
Oftentimes players are wearing shooting shirts and/or warmup pants, so the issues aren't seen until it's about time to tipoff. And when I'm getting ready to get the game going I don't want to stop the game because a headband is the wrong color.

Frankly, I didn't get into officiating to be a part of the fashion police.

Even when it's seen early and fixed without a problem, the fact that I have to deal with it is silly. Coaches don't care because there is no penalty, so the headache is ours for the most part.

What's wrong with making schools/coaches responsible?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 02:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Oftentimes players are wearing shooting shirts and/or warmup pants, so the issues aren't seen until it's about time to tipoff. And when I'm getting ready to get the game going I don't want to stop the game because a headband is the wrong color.

Frankly, I didn't get into officiating to be a part of the fashion police.

Even when it's seen early and fixed without a problem, the fact that I have to deal with it is silly. Coaches don't care because there is no penalty, so the headache is ours for the most part.

What's wrong with making schools/coaches responsible?

Headbands can be seen early, warmup jerseys don't cover those up.

Wrist bands can come off pretty damn fast. Any hesitation from the player, get a sub. It takes 20 seconds to do that if you have to. As has been noted, deal with it early, and the problem is gone by January.

If it's an undershirt, same thing. I like the idea of adding a penalty to the arsenal, but it's not necessary. It takes 30 seconds for a player to leave the court and change. No big deal, and the kids don't like being embarrassed so it will sort out over a few games.

I didn't get into officiating to deal with score book issues, either, but it's part of the package.

Hell, I didn't get into officiating to deal with kids, either, but that's unavoidable, too.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Question, maybe you don't know.

With the experimental rule, do the players get to participate with the illegal equipment at the cost of a T just like they participate with illegal uniforms at the cost of a T?
The NC powerpoint I found online wasn't expressly clear on that - maybe someone from NC can respond here? It was clear on the penalty for not enforcing the rule - 2 week suspension for the entire officials crew.

My hope is that they would still need to correct the illegal player equipment before being allowed to participate - my rationale for that is that while illegal uniforms are something that might not be easily or readily corrected, illegal player equipment is - they just take it off.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 05:04pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Headbands can be seen early, warmup jerseys don't cover those up.

Wrist bands can come off pretty damn fast. Any hesitation from the player, get a sub. It takes 20 seconds to do that if you have to. As has been noted, deal with it early, and the problem is gone by January.

If it's an undershirt, same thing. I like the idea of adding a penalty to the arsenal, but it's not necessary. It takes 30 seconds for a player to leave the court and change. No big deal, and the kids don't like being embarrassed so it will sort out over a few games.

I didn't get into officiating to deal with score book issues, either, but it's part of the package.

Hell, I didn't get into officiating to deal with kids, either, but that's unavoidable, too.
I'm still seeing it at the varsity level, and this late in the season. I'll agree it's not hard, but it's not like we're in week one of the season.

Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 05:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Tevye, Fiddler On The Roof ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
... but I think it will still be a while because of the tradition.
Once upon a time the peach basket was a tradition.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 05:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
The NC powerpoint I found online wasn't expressly clear on that - maybe someone from NC can respond here? It was clear on the penalty for not enforcing the rule - 2 week suspension for the entire officials crew.

My hope is that they would still need to correct the illegal player equipment before being allowed to participate - my rationale for that is that while illegal uniforms are something that might not be easily or readily corrected, illegal player equipment is - they just take it off.
Not only that, but illegal equipment also applies to dangerous equipment such as jewelry.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
I'm still seeing it at the varsity level, and this late in the season. I'll agree it's not hard, but it's not like we're in week one of the season.
I had to fix this in a first round state playoff game this week.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

I very rarely see illegal undershirts anymore. They are few and far between. Most of it is girl's headbands not matching their teammates or not matching arm/leg sleeves. I have not had to deal with it nearly as much in the last month as I did in the first month or so of the season. I just make it a point to look for it as soon as we get on the court and tell them immediately so they have time to fix it. I had a girls team on Monday that was wearing warm up pants and had black headbands on. I just went up to one of the players and asked if their leg sleeves matched the black headbands. She said they did so that was good enough for me for the time being. If they disrobe and someone had on something else, I could have had them change then.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 12:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I very rarely see illegal undershirts anymore. They are few and far between. Most of it is girl's headbands not matching their teammates or not matching arm/leg sleeves. I have not had to deal with it nearly as much in the last month as I did in the first month or so of the season. I just make it a point to look for it as soon as we get on the court and tell them immediately so they have time to fix it. I had a girls team on Monday that was wearing warm up pants and had black headbands on. I just went up to one of the players and asked if their leg sleeves matched the black headbands. She said they did so that was good enough for me for the time being. If they disrobe and someone had on something else, I could have had them change then.
Actually I hardly see any sleeve/headband issues at all. It seems like they got the memo and stopped trying to be different.

What is a problem are that everyone now wants to roll up their pants and wear them with the band down. This is an epidemic, so much to the point that now it was made a directive to correct these things by my state office.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I very rarely see illegal undershirts anymore.
The most(?) common illegal undershirt is the one with the logo on the back of the neck band.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 02:51pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
What is a problem are that everyone now wants to roll up their pants and wear them with the band down. This is an epidemic, so much to the point that now it was made a directive to correct these things by my state office.
A few weeks back before my GV game we noticed several very short, GJV players who's shorts were half way between their knees and ankles! Obvious hand me downs that just weren't working out too well........