The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NFHS Basketball Questionnaire (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100845-nfhs-basketball-questionnaire.html)

APG Mon Feb 08, 2016 03:34pm

NFHS Basketball Questionnaire

Questionnaire is live

http://www.nfhs.org/sports-resource-...uestionnaires/

mtn335 Mon Feb 08, 2016 03:51pm

I was skeptical of the 5-foul-per-quarter bonus added in NCAA-W this season, but I'm now a fan. Coaches dwell less on foul count, and we shoot fewer total free throws.

On the other hand, burn the advance-the-ball option. Burn it with fire. I say. :mad:

Rich Mon Feb 08, 2016 04:46pm

I like that. Of course we went to 18-minute halves this season.

frezer11 Mon Feb 08, 2016 05:24pm

I hope they don't try to change closely guarded to 3 feet. As said in another thread this week, the justification for the change to 6 feet in women's was the thought that it would decrease the fouls from the defense. I think this would be a problematic change.

JetMetFan Mon Feb 08, 2016 05:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 980057)
I hope they don't try to change closely guarded to 3 feet. As said in another thread this week, the justification for the change to 6 feet in women's was the thought that it would decrease the fouls from the defense. I think this would be a problematic change.

Agreed. It's counter-intuitive to ask officials to emphasize the hand-checking guidelines and then make a rule change which brings defenders closer to BH/Ds in order to initiate a closely-guarded count.

Refhoop Mon Feb 08, 2016 06:03pm

PLEASE get rid of the 1 and 1 bonus and lets shoot two always!
All the unnecessary contact and resetting players after that first shot is silly...

so cal lurker Mon Feb 08, 2016 06:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refhoop (Post 980060)
All the unnecessary contact and resetting players after that first shot is silly...

Completely disagree (though I understand why it would make it easier for referees in many ways). So called double bonus is an additional penalty. Regular bonus is a benefit to the team that commits fewer fouls over the course of the game such that at end game they have a greater opportunity to escape the foul with no points given up. (I initially disliked the double bonus, but over time think that it is a good balance in punishing too many fouls.)

JetMetFan Mon Feb 08, 2016 06:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 980061)
Completely disagree (though I understand why it would make it easier for referees in many ways). So called double bonus is an additional penalty. Regular bonus is a benefit to the team that commits fewer fouls over the course of the game such that at end game they have a greater opportunity to escape the foul with no points given up. (I initially disliked the double bonus, but over time think that it is a good balance in punishing too many fouls.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refhoop (Post 980060)

BTW, among the reasons why NCAAW went to two shots after the 5th foul was to reduce contact during FTs. They also wanted to increase scoring.

Removing one potential CE is a nice added benefit.

BillyMac Mon Feb 08, 2016 07:03pm

In Her Jock ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 980058)
Agreed. It's counter-intuitive to ask officials to emphasize the hand-checking guidelines and then make a rule change which brings defenders closer to BH/Ds in order to initiate a closely-guarded count.

Agree. I worked a Connecticut girls prep school game last week where we used three feet. Tough situation to officiate, counting five, and watching for hand checking, held ball, timeouts, and everything else that happens in a high school girls game.

Rich Mon Feb 08, 2016 07:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 980066)
Agree. I worked a Connecticut girls prep school game last week where we used three feet. Tough situation to officiate, counting five, and watching for hand checking, held ball, timeouts, and everything else that happens in a high school girls game.

I don't see how 3 feet would be any more difficult to officiate than 6 feet. If the player is inside 3 feet you're counting anyway.

Adam Mon Feb 08, 2016 07:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 980067)
I don't see how 3 feet would be any more difficult to officiate than 6 feet. If the player is inside 3 feet you're counting anyway.

If your mind is focused on the fact that something has changed, then until you get used to the change and it becomes second nature (like 6 feet is now), I could see how some could have problems taking it all in.

SNIPERBBB Mon Feb 08, 2016 07:32pm

Many guys dont know what 6 feet is so maybe now they can be more accurate since except for lower level ball if a player cant touch the ball handler with their arms, they aren't within 3 feet.

Adam Mon Feb 08, 2016 07:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 980069)
Many guys dont know what 6 feet is so maybe now they can be more accurate since except for lower level ball if a player cant touch the ball handler with their arms, they aren't within 3 feet.

6 feet is easy, but many operate as if the rule is 3.

AremRed Mon Feb 08, 2016 07:47pm

Quote:

girls prep school game

Quote:

held balls

You're damn right Billy.

Camron Rust Mon Feb 08, 2016 07:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 980067)

It may create more situations where their is potential contact. With 6', the defender can get a count going at 6' with little risk of contact. At 3', the chance for contact certainly rises.