The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 24, 2016, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

1. I would NEVER pick something like that up off the floor. A coach or game management can come clean it up.

2. I have heard similar stories from fellow officials over the years. I have no idea how something like this happens, but this is not the first case I've heard.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2016, 05:30pm
This IS My Social Life

I didn't post that.
Now, back to the OP.
Same school, same floor, same end of the court two weeks later. Partner in a two-person GJV game picks up from the free throw line what I, not exactly versed in these kinds of things, thought looked like a small white folded dinner napkin. It wasn't. Carries it all the way over to the scorer's table before it hits him what he's holding. All the giggling girls on both benches kinda was a clue.
This one not on video.
That was back in '08. Nothing similar happened there since.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
At a characteristically uneventful boys’ high school freshman basketball contest, I was very happy that one member of our three-man crew was my boys’ assigner.

Freddy Krieger is a basketball official from Baroda, Mich. This article originally appeared in the 7/08 issue of Referee.

Michigan uses three-whistle crews for freshman games?
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 11:33am
Archaic Power Monger

"Hey coach, somebody needs to get this cleaned up."

Like a custodian or trainer with gloves. Floor probably needs to be disinfected also.

I'm not normally a "not in my job description" type of guy but this is definitely a "Not my job" scenario.

The worst I've had was doing a football game when the snapper puked on the ball while the QB was calling his signals. We didn't handle the ball then either.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

The funniest "bodily function during a sporting event" story I have witnessed was when my wife was a cheerleading coach. We were at a large arena at a public university for their yearly state competition 4-5 years ago. A girl from another school had a projectile vomiting episode right in the middle of a cheer routine. Not only was she a trooper and did not stop, the other girls either didn't notice or didn't care and kept running/tumbling right through the mess as the routine finished. When they finished there was considerable time spent cleaning it up as it happened on one of those foam cheer/gymnastics mats and not a hard surface where it would simply wipe up.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 11:54am
NFHS Official

This actually happened to me a few years back.

JH girls game. Long rebound off a missed shot. Two girls,(one from each team) jump up to grab the ball. Both miss the ball and fall down. Ball picked up and we go the other way. On the way back I notice something on the floor, It's solid red and looks like it has a tail extending out. I go over to kick it off the floor and at the last second realize it is a bloody tampon. I hit my whistle and my partner comes over and bends down to pick it up. I holler no just as he is about to grab it. The AD comes out with a broom and dustpan. He is a former coach and tells me in 35 years has never seen anything like this. My question is how did it come out, and what was the girl wearing underneath her shorts that allowed it to come out. Mind you this was 7-9 grade girls.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 12:02pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
My question is how did it come out, and what was the girl wearing underneath her shorts that allowed it to come out. Mind you this was 7-9 grade girls.
Before you ask the question, you must first ask yourself if you really want to know the answer. In this case, I choose to remain sheltered in my ignorance.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 12:35pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
Michigan uses three-whistle crews for freshman games?
Was a time when F/JV DH's were three-person. Axed by superintendents without the input of trainers and assigners. Was a great platform for learning for those new to three-person. Doesn't always do justice to the game when the first real game in which an official does three-person is during his first varsity game. (Of course that's what camps and scrimmages are for, but still...) Hoping to get back to that sometime soon.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 03:19pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
My question is how did it come out, and what was the girl wearing underneath her shorts that allowed it to come out. Mind you this was 7-9 grade girls.
Some things are better left unknown...
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 04:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Rare Three Person Game In Connecticut ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Doesn't always do justice to the game when the first real game in which an official does three-person is during his first varsity game.
I've got my first three person game in over ten years coming up next week. In thirty-five years, this will only be my second three person game. One clinic. No scrimmages. This has the potential to be a disaster. I'll give you guys a report next week.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 27, 2016, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle2 View Post
I think from now on in my pants pocket I’ll carry a pair of those Trojan gloves the doctors use for my annual physical! LOL
Im slightly worried that your doctor uses Trojans during your exam
Old Wed Jan 27, 2016, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I've got my first three person game in over ten years coming up next week. In thirty-five years, this will only be my second three person game. One clinic. No scrimmages. This has the potential to be a disaster. I'll give you guys a report next week.

Good luck!

I worked my 6th 3-person game tonight and it actually went pretty well - a couple minor glitches, but nothing earth shattering.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2016, 07:16am
Esteemed Forum Member

Hacked ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
I'm slightly worried that your doctor uses Trojans during your exam.
Mark Padgett: Why are you using packersowner's username?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)