The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Detached Player Equipment

Ump29 posted this a few days ago. The thread was closed due to spamming issues. I wanted to revisit it for clarity.

OP: Runner on 2nd (R2)and 3rd(R3). On a pitched ball, the catcher snap throws to third, R3 breaks toward home, 3rd baseman throws home and the ball hits R3 in the back. Ball bounces off the back of R3 and lands in the dropped catchers mask. R3 called safe, R2 awarded home. Discuss.

Steven Tyler said to 'play on'.

Bob Jenkins wrote:
Quote:
Clearly not "detached equipment" because that requires intent.

I'd also argue "not lodged", but there may be some interp to the contrary.
I would presume Bob is saying to play on, as well. I agree.

In Fed - the detached equipment penalty involves intent, the key words being that the ball is prevented from following its natural course through contact with detached equipment "which is thrown, tossed, kicked or held by a fielder." A dropped mask isn't applicable. A fielder can be attempting to field the ball when his mitt falls off and accidentally contacts the ball. It is not a violation under all codes.

NCAA ball: 8-3g also require intent and a dropped mask is no longer under the control of the catcher.

A detached gear award does not make the ball dead, it is treated the same as a base on balls - live ball, runners can be at risk.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Instead of rehashing the thread, why don't you just go to where the thread started:

Obstruction - Forums

Not for nothing but people are getting in the habit of posting the same question on different forums. I don't know why - maybe they are expecting different outcomes. Little do they realize that we are mostly the same crowd on both forums.

Last edited by ozzy6900; Mon Dec 12, 2011 at 12:22pm.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Ozzy, I appreciate the fact that you involve yourself in numerous forums and know that this question was posted on one of them. I only participate in this one and was unaware that another forum had the exact question. Bob Jenkins closed the thread on Officiating.com because it was inundated with spam. I assume that he did not know it was on the other site either, since he responded to the discussion too.

As I have told a few coaches over the years, I am not clairvoyant. I thought the OP was worthy of dicussing here. I respect that you don't.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
Ozzy, I appreciate the fact that you involve yourself in numerous forums and know that this question was posted on one of them. I only participate in this one and was unaware that another forum had the exact question. Bob Jenkins closed the thread on Officiating.com because it was inundated with spam. I assume that he did not know it was on the other site either, since he responded to the discussion too.

As I have told a few coaches over the years, I am not clairvoyant. I thought the OP was worthy of dicussing here. I respect that you don't.
Just thought that I could save you some time. Enjoy.