The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Charge Or Block (Video)

Would you call this a charge or a block?

Last edited by xyrph; Fri Jan 22, 2016 at 07:44pm.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 07:16pm
High Five Master

From that angle, looks like the defender hip checked and I would have had a block. Not her side of the lane but did C have a better angle as well?
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

The defender is not legal at the time of contact so there must have been an elbow or other contact initiated with the arm of the offensive player.

Impossible to know from the camera angle but that's my guess based on the call and the way the defender fell.

BTW- I do not like that mechanic on the prelim. I like to see some indication that we are going the other way. But that's just me.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
The defender is not legal at the time of contact so there must have been an elbow or other contact initiated with the arm of the offensive player.

Impossible to know from the camera angle but that's my guess based on the call and the way the defender fell.

BTW- I do not like that mechanic on the prelim. I like to see some indication that we are going the other way. But that's just me.
The camera angle was a lot better of an angle than calling a foul in the paint from the backcourt.

I have a block...turned sideways and stepped into the dribbler as the dribbler went around her. There is nothing the trail could have possibly seen from where he was for that to have been a player control foul.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The camera angle was a lot better of an angle than calling a foul in the paint from the backcourt.

I have a block...turned sideways and stepped into the dribbler as the dribbler went around her. There is nothing the trail could have possibly seen from where he was for that to have been a player control foul.
Disagree. He's not in the backcourt and the contact occurs at the FT line. To say that he is calling something in the paint from the backcourt is embellishing, just a bit.

And his angle on the court is better than that of the camera to get a look between the players and see if there was any displacement from the arm of the offensive player. So he definitely could have seen something that led him to the PC call.

Now, absent any displacement with the arm its an obvious blocking foul.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2016, 12:08am
Archaic Power Monger

Block or maybe nothing.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2016, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I agree with everything here. This is a block.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2016, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
Disagree. He's not in the backcourt and the contact occurs at the FT line. To say that he is calling something in the paint from the backcourt is embellishing, just a bit.

And his angle on the court is better than that of the camera to get a look between the players and see if there was any displacement from the arm of the offensive player. So he definitely could have seen something that led him to the PC call.

Now, absent any displacement with the arm its an obvious blocking foul.
OK, you're right, he comes into the frontcourt after the contact just in time to blow the whistle....and, ok, it was at the FT line. Last time I checked, the FT line was considered in the paint.

Either way, he is way too far from that play to be credible. It wasn't like those players were gazelles. I would have expected him to be well into the frontcourt before contact with the pace those players were going, not just as he blows the whistle from over 30 feet away.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sat Jan 23, 2016 at 12:39am.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2016, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

I agree that he should be closer to the play and there is no reason for him to still be hanging out at halfcourt, especially in this game.

But he still could have had a look at the offensive players off arm. That's the ONLY thing he could be seeing that could make this a PC. Trying to give him the benefit of the doubt here.

The fact that he made this call, the video leaving open the possibility and lack of reaction from the bench and players has me thinking there had to be something there. Otherwise its an egregious missed call.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2016, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Definitely a block and ideally the lead should have made that call. The trail is too far away, which is presumably why he kicked the call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sat Jan 23, 2016, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

I'm inclined to say "nothing," though if there was a call it would be on the defense because the BH/D's RSBQ was slightly affected. At any rate, PC isn't on the menu for me on this play.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sat Jan 23, 2016, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OK, you're right, he comes into the frontcourt after the contact just in time to blow the whistle....and, ok, it was at the FT line. Last time I checked, the FT line was considered in the paint.

Either way, he is way too far from that play to be credible. It wasn't like those players were gazelles. I would have expected him to be well into the frontcourt before contact with the pace those players were going, not just as he blows the whistle from over 30 feet away.
I think there's no way to say if he's credible or not. He probably has a way better view than we do.

I can't even think of a reason to call a block on this play, ever, from this angle. Offense got by just fine and the defense magically falls over.

It's very likely that this is either a flop or the trail saw the offensive player do something with her right arm that we can't see. I'll give the calling official the benefit of the doubt since he probably has a better angle than we do.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2016, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

looks like should have been a no call. The T making that call would be the last guy that should have had a whistle. And for the record he was in the backcourt when he blew the whistle.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2016, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
looks like should have been a no call. The T making that call would be the last guy that should have had a whistle. And for the record he was in the backcourt when he blew the whistle.
If he sees between the players he could very well have the best view.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2016, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
If he sees between the players he could very well have the best view.
Even if he sees between the players this wasn't one of those game-changing, crew-saving calls to help a C and T who had brain lock. It's minimal contact that's 30 feet away from him in someone else's primary. Leave that alone.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)