The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Charge/Block

NFHS Varsity Boys game. U1 called a block U2 called a charge. Shot went in. Both reported their foul. They counted the basket and went to the arrow. Was this correct?
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbret View Post
NFHS Varsity Boys game. U1 called a block U2 called a charge. Shot went in. Both reported their foul. They counted the basket and went to the arrow. Was this correct?
Nope, double foul. Shot doesn't count because of the PC foul, but the shooter still gets two shots.

Do we shoot them with the lane cleared and the team that was on defense gets the ball after the second FT? I don't have my rule or case book handy.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 10:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Nope, double foul. Shot doesn't count because of the PC foul, but the shooter still gets two shots.

Do we shoot them with the lane cleared and the team that was on defense gets the ball after the second FT? I don't have my rule or case book handy.
They got it wrong, but so did you.
Double foul, count the basket (a double foul cannot include, by definition, a PC foul), ball to the team that did not score.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Double foul, count the basket (a double foul cannot include, by definition, a PC foul), ball to the team that did not score.
Man I learn something new every day on here.

How can a double foul not include a PC foul? If the offense didn't commit a PC foul, then is it just a team control foul? Is it neither?

I think I'm thinking of a false double foul where the shooter still gets their FTs with the lane cleared.

I guess this is why the blarge is very, very bad.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 10:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Dreaded, Infamous, Blarge ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
4.19.8 SITUATION C: A1 drives for a try and jumps and releases the ball.
Contact occurs between A1 and B1 after the release and before airborne shooter A1 returns one foot to the floor. One official calls a blocking foul on B1 and the other official calls a charging foul on A1. The try is successful. RULING: Even though airborne shooter A1 committed a charging foul, it is not a player-control foul because the two fouls result in a double personal foul. The double foul does not cause the ball to become dead on the try and the goal is scored. Play is resumed at the point of interruption, which is a throw-in for Team B from anywhere along the end line. (4-36)

A good pregame, good mechanics, good eye contact and good communication between partners, and some patience, i.e not being in a rush, will almost always prevent this from happening.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Feb 07, 2009 at 11:01pm.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Man I learn something new every day on here.
Too bad you aren't as open minded and interested in learning when you post on the football board.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
4.19.8 SITUATION C: A1 drives for a try and jumps and releases the ball.
Contact occurs between A1 and B1 after the release and before airborne shooter A1 returns one foot to the floor. One official calls a blocking foul on B1 and the other official calls a charging foul on A1. The try is successful. RULING: Even though airborne shooter A1 committed a charging foul, it is not a player-control foul because the two fouls result in a double personal foul. The double foul does not cause the ball to become dead on the try and the goal is scored. Play is resumed at the point of interruption, which is a throw-in for Team B from anywhere along the end line. (4-36)

A good pregame, good mechanics, good eye contact and good communication between partners, and some patience, i.e not being in a rush, will almost always prevent this from happening.

That is all said and good if the ball was released. THe OP did not discuss this. If shooter is still in control of ball when play happens, do not count the shot. Call double personal foul and the ball is put back in play by the POI rule. This would be the nearest spot of the double foul.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbking View Post
That is all said and good if the ball was released. THe OP did not discuss this. If shooter is still in control of ball when play happens, do not count the shot. Call double personal foul and the ball is put back in play by the POI rule. This would be the nearest spot of the double foul.
still gets to shoot two FTs, since he was fouled by the block....
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 06:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishopcolle View Post
still gets to shoot two FTs, since he was fouled by the block....
Nope, there are NO free throws awarded for a double-foul. That's the rule.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

yet whenever I make a post about how a certain poster acts exactly in this manner it quickly gets deleted.

Last edited by bob jenkins; Sun Feb 08, 2009 at 04:42pm.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Nope, there are NO free throws awarded for a double-foul. That's the rule.
I sit here, humble, and corrected...after reading your post, and the rule book....THANKS!
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
yet whenever I make a post about how a certain poster acts exactly in this manner it quickly gets deleted.
Maybe it depends on how quickly a moderator gets here, or on the demostrated history between posters, or on the fact that someimes posters don't see what has been deleted and assume that their posts are being deleted more than others.