The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 23, 2016, 12:38pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
looks like should have been a no call. The T making that call would be the last guy that should have had a whistle. And for the record he was in the backcourt when he blew the whistle.
I don't see how you can have a no-call here. Either the dribbler knocked over the defender, or the defender came forward or into the dribbler's path. I'm usually all for holding a whistle while a dribbler drives the lane, but that contact is too much to let go.

I'm sure this is a Roman Law thing, but I actually have a bigger problem with the mechanics than the ruling. Here, the fist has to be up first.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2016, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

I can see a no call here but in a game with this low skill level that amount of contact can be disadvantageous and it appears to be an obvious block in the context of the thread title.

We can all agree that the T's positioning and mechanics leave a lot to be desired but I disagree with those that say this isnt his primary. He should be much closer to the play but its the entire play is in his primary and its the T's play all the way.

And again, I'm guessing/hoping that there is some contact with the ball-handler's off arm. Otherwise, it is not just a missed call. Its a mind- boggling, horrific call that I would not expect from even the least experienced and/or worst sub-varsity officials I see.

I'm going with the likelihood that there was some contact we couldnt see from the camera angle over the likelihood that this was one of the worst calls I've ever seen.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2016, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
We can all agree that the T's positioning and mechanics leave a lot to be desired but I disagree with those that say this isnt his primary. He should be much closer to the play but its the entire play is in his primary and its the T's play all the way.
It is only his primary if he is in the right position to have assumed coverage of his that area. Until he is in the frontcourt, that is area largely the responsibility of the L or C (whoever is in the frontcourt).
Old Sat Jan 23, 2016, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Even if he sees between the players this wasn't one of those game-changing, crew-saving calls to help a C and T who had brain lock. It's minimal contact that's 30 feet away from him in someone else's primary. Leave that alone.
This doesn't have anything to do with a crew-saving call, whatever that is. The calling official likely saw something that needed a whistle. Unless an official is known for being awful, I'm going to assume there was a good reason for the whistle.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2016, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

I go with block. His credibility is not that high just because of the black band on his wrist
Old Sun Jan 24, 2016, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I don't see how you can have a no-call here. Either the dribbler knocked over the defender, or the defender came forward or into the dribbler's path. I'm usually all for holding a whistle while a dribbler drives the lane, but that contact is too much to let go.

I'm sure this is a Roman Law thing, but I actually have a bigger problem with the mechanics than the ruling. Here, the fist has to be up first.
Easy no call, the contact didn't give the dribble and advantage/disadvantage and the white player that collapsed is just standard operating procedure in a HS girls game (at least from what I remember). I mean who falls that way, she crumpled up.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2016, 11:36am
Get away from me, Steve.

I'd give this to the C -- semi-transition, right near the top of the key (a step inside). Problem is, she slows to a stop WELL BEFORE the FT line extended and isn't engaged at all.

Can't think of a single reason why she wouldn't run to the FTLE and then stop, really.

The ball is coming up the floor slowly. No reason the T or the C should be so far behind the play.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2016, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

I see no evidence of a push off. Dribbler right hand goes to gather.

Defender falls/sits like a chair is pulled out which is a pretty good indicator of a flop.

No call or block. If the trail was truly engaged and had the best angle, then he missed the carry, first.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2016, 12:51pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizanno View Post
If the trail was truly engaged and had the best angle, then he missed the carry, first.
That's not a carry.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2016, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't see how you can have a no-call here. Either the dribbler knocked over the defender, or the defender came forward or into the dribbler's path. OR; this is girls basketball and one of them is always on the floor.

Who makes a PC foul without turning toward the team being awarded?

"Play on"
Old Sun Jan 24, 2016, 08:16pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
That's not a carry.
I agree with you.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2016, 09:21pm
NFHS Official

I don't think I have anything on this play. Certainly isn't a PC.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Girls fall down all the time. I can't tell if there was any contact from this angle. If there was, it looks like a block. If there was minimal or no contact, then no call.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Girls fall down all the time. I can't tell if there was any contact from this angle. If there was, it looks like a block. If there was minimal or no contact, then no call.
Yes, girls fall down all of the time and this looks like one of them. I don't know this official so all I know if I was looking at this game with an official I was mentoring the first thing I would say is that you are too far away to see that call. At best he is at the division line when he makes the call. Allow the C to get that play. Trust her judgement since the play is coming to her. Also for you to call a PC foul on A1, did she go "to and through" B2? My answer here would be no. Incidental contact on this play for me.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamarr1958 View Post
Yes, girls fall down all of the time and this looks like one of them. I don't know this official so all I know if I was looking at this game with an official I was mentoring the first thing I would say is that you are too far away to see that call. At best he is at the division line when he makes the call. Allow the C to get that play. Trust her judgement since the play is coming to her. Also for you to call a PC foul on A1, did she go "to and through" B2? My answer here would be no. Incidental contact on this play for me.
He saw it or he didn't. Oh, how many times I've heard this and the person saying it is wrong because the call was right

What on earth is to and through? Sounds like a weird definition of how to call a PC. You have no idea what the calling official had. Maybe a cheap shot with an elbow. Our view on this play is complete garbage and looks like a no-call. Who knows what he saw.

Last edited by Dad; Mon Jan 25, 2016 at 02:51pm.