The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If you get to all zeros with no horn, the first thing to do is to check to see if the "auto horn" is turned on.

If the clock does not show tenths, sure.

If it shows tenths it's possible but unlikely.
But it can happen. I had 0.0 with no horn once, and checked with the timer, and sure enough the console readout said 0.07. So the moral of the story is, before you make a decision, go to the timer and ask if he/she has a more precise readout, as well as to confirm whether the "auto horn" is turned on.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK View Post
The release of the ball and the time on the clock has nothing to do with being in the act of shooting. You can be fouled in the act of shooting and release the ball after the horn. In that case you get 2 or 3 shots but because the ball was not released before the horn the basket cannot count if it goes in. Remember to shoot the foul shots prior to ending the period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Sometimes it does (depending on the level and the replay capabilities)
In NFHS, unless you have some kind of very accurate definite knowledge, you have to account for the reaction time of the timer (speed of sound, reaction time, etc.). That's usually about a quarter second or so. Some guys say, "put 0.3 back on." I hate that; it is supported by neither rule nor case play in NFHS.

NCAA with replay = different story. In that scenario, the only time you'd be shooting FTs with no time on the clock on this case would be if the foul occurred on an airborne shooter after the expiration of time (assuming the shooter released the try in time).
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
In NFHS, unless you have some kind of very accurate definite knowledge, you have to account for the reaction time of the timer (speed of sound, reaction time, etc.). That's usually about a quarter second or so. Some guys say, "put 0.3 back on." I hate that; it is supported by neither rule nor case play in NFHS.

NCAA with replay = different story. In that scenario, the only time you'd be shooting FTs with no time on the clock on this case would be if the foul occurred on an airborne shooter after the expiration of time (assuming the shooter released the try in time).

If an official sees a time on the clock, that time can be put back....even if it is just 0.3....and even if it is reaction time. The time it takes for the official to see the clock is the reaction time the timer is allowed.

In this case, the official should have looked at the clock to have something to put back. If the foul & whistle happened before the horn, the clock should have stopped. The shot "should" count and time "should" be put back...but the only way to do within the rules that is to look at the clock and see it before it gets to 0 or to have some mental count of the time.

And unless you're standing at the opposite side of the parking lot, the speed of sound isn't going to matter.

Also, nothing in the rules says the definite knowledge has to have any sort of accuracy.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sun Jan 17, 2016 at 07:52pm.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
If an official sees a time on the clock, that time can be put back....even if it is just 0.3....and even if it is reaction time. The time it takes for the official to see the clock is the reaction time the timer is allowed.

In this case, the official should have looked at the clock to have something to put back. If the foul & whistle happened before the horn, the clock should have stopped. The shot "should" count and time "should" be put back...but the only way to do within the rules that is to look at the clock and see it before it gets to 0 or to have some mental count of the time.

And unless you're standing at the opposite side of the parking lot, the speed of sound isn't going to matter.

Also, nothing in the rules says the definite knowledge has to have any sort of accuracy.
I agree with all of this in general. In fact I've applied it before. If you see it on the clock, you can put it back on. I'm not sure I would use a mental count when tenths of a second are involved. It's one thing when you have a backcourt count going and you notice the clock didn't start after a throw-in. This is a situation that requires much more precision....the kind that only visual observation of the clock can provide.

It's when I don't observe a time on the clock (in a situation where the foul is pretty much bang-bang with the horn) that I have a problem with just arbitrarily putting a set amount of time back on the clock. No rules support for that, though I know there are nonetheless some supervisors out there that direct it.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

How can you say that time should be put back on the clock and that the basket should count. The ball was not released until after time expired. The player was in the act of shooting before time expired. So now we should not care the location and status of the ball when the time expires. Lets just shoot the ball (which is still in contact with the shooter) when time expires, heck, whey don't we shoot minutes after the time has expired?

In all seriousness, I know that this is a case book play but I just cannot seem to find it right now. I will continue looking.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How can you say that time should be put back on the clock and that the basket should count. The ball was not released until after time expired. The player was in the act of shooting before time expired. So now we should not care the location and status of the ball when the time expires. Lets just shoot the ball (which is still in contact with the shooter) when time expires, heck, whey don't we shoot minutes after the time has expired?

In all seriousness, I know that this is a case book play but I just cannot seem to find it right now. I will continue looking.
NCAA restores the time on the clock at the moment of the contact for the foul. That can be done with a courtside monitor.
For NFHS, if the whistle comes before the horn and an official sees time remaining on the clock, that time can be restored and the try counts.
The last part is what Camron is advocating.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
NCAA restores the time on the clock at the moment of the contact for the foul. That can be done with a courtside monitor.
For NFHS, if the whistle comes before the horn and an official sees time remaining on the clock, that time can be restored and the try counts.
The last part is what Camron is advocating.
I 100% agree with the putting the time that should be on the clock back on the clock but we can only do that if there is definite knowledge of the time. If we don't have definite knowledge we cannot do anything but shoot the free throws.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I 100% agree with the putting the time that should be on the clock back on the clock but we can only do that if there is definite knowledge of the time. If we don't have definite knowledge we cannot do anything but shoot the free throws.
That is exactly what Camron would do. Afterall, he is an excellent official who has worked a State Championship game. He is simply saying that on this play someone should have definite knowledge and the try should count. Don't confuse that with what he would do in the absence of that.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

@Nevada

In that case I agree with you and Cameron. Someone should know the time but it is not always the case.

If someone could help me as I am sure that there is a case book play that is just like this one, I cannot find it presently.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Ahhh. Found it

5.6.2 SITUATION D:
Team A trails 60-59 with just a few seconds remaining in the fourth quarter of play. A1 is fouled in the act of shooting by B1 but time expires before the ball is in flight. A1 is awarded two free throws. The coach of Team B is charged with a technical foul before A1’s attempts. A1 makes: (a) neither throw; (b) one throw; or (c) both throws. When does Team A shoot the free throws resulting from the technical foul?
RULING:
In (a) and (b), the two free throws for the technical foul are attempted as part of the fourth quarter as the foul occurred before the fourth quarter had ended. In (a), the two free throws for the technical foul will determine if an extra period is necessary. In (b), the one successful free throw ties the game and if either free throw for the technical foul is successful, no extra period is required. In (c), the two successful free throws dictate there will be no extra period. The free throws for the technical foul are not administered as the outcome of the game has been determined. A quarter or extra period does not end until all free throws which could affect the outcome of the game have been attempted and related activity has been completed. (4-41-1; 5-6-3 Exception; 6-7-7

Read the first part of the thread. It does not say anything about adding time back to the clock.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

There's another one in there somewhere, too, with words that say, "however, the timer cannot get the clock stopped in time and time for the fourth quarter expires" or something like that.

It also says nothing about adding time back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Lost me here, example? Seems with zero accuracy there's no definite knowledge.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Lost me here, example? Seems with zero accuracy there's no definite knowledge.
Lah, me. I'll explain it to you.

If the foul happens with 0.7 on the clock and the whistle blows with 0.5, but the official doesn't look until 0.2, then 0.2 is what gets restored by rule. In this case the official is not accurate as he was slow to look either when blowing the whistle or hearing his partner's. However, he does have definite knowledge.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
5.6.2 SITUATION D:
Team A trails 60-59 with just a few seconds remaining in the fourth quarter of play. A1 is fouled in the act of shooting by B1 but time expires before the ball is in flight. A1 is awarded two free throws. The coach of Team B is charged with a technical foul before A1’s attempts. A1 makes: (a) neither throw; (b) one throw; or (c) both throws. When does Team A shoot the free throws resulting from the technical foul?
RULING:
In (a) and (b), the two free throws for the technical foul are attempted as part of the fourth quarter as the foul occurred before the fourth quarter had ended. In (a), the two free throws for the technical foul will determine if an extra period is necessary. In (b), the one successful free throw ties the game and if either free throw for the technical foul is successful, no extra period is required. In (c), the two successful free throws dictate there will be no extra period. The free throws for the technical foul are not administered as the outcome of the game has been determined. A quarter or extra period does not end until all free throws which could affect the outcome of the game have been attempted and related activity has been completed. (4-41-1; 5-6-3 Exception; 6-7-7

Read the first part of the thread. It does not say anything about adding time back to the clock.
Quote:
There's another one in there somewhere, too, with words that say, "however, the timer cannot get the clock stopped in time and time for the fourth quarter expires" or something like that.

It also says nothing about adding time back on.
Please note that both of these case plays predate the current NFHS rules which have eliminated lag time for the timer. We have to interpret them in the context of the current rules, not under those during which they were authored.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 11:56pm
AremRed

Quote:
the console readout said 0.07
What kind of atomic basketball clock is this??