The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

double foul during shot

From game last night (as parent):

Double foul called (seemed to me like a poor choice to call a double foul, but that's beside the point) about the same time a shot is taken. I believe that the referee ruled the foul occurred before the shot was taken, and the team shooting kept the ball (I don't think the PA was flipped). (The coach was arguing the ball was in flight when the whistle blew, which is obviously not the test . . . this ref often had a slow whistle, sometimes very slow.)

If the double foul had occurred while the ball was in flight, does the basket count? If not, does it go to AP since no team control?
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 12:21pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post

Double foul called (seemed to me like a poor choice to call a double foul, but that's beside the point) about the same time a shot is taken. I believe that the referee ruled the foul occurred before the shot was taken, and the team shooting kept the ball (I don't think the PA was flipped). (The coach was arguing the ball was in flight when the whistle blew, which is obviously not the test . . . this ref often had a slow whistle, sometimes very slow.)

If the double foul had occurred while the ball was in flight, does the basket count? If not, does it go to AP since no team control?
Of course it would count and the POI would be a throw-in anywhere along the endline for B.

And if the double foul occurred before the try was released, the POI is quite obvious.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

It is the test under NCAAW.

Correct on both counts.

And, if it happens after the motion has started, then it's the same answer (at least by interp, here. We've had discussions on this in the past -- one rule says allow continuous motion if there's a foul by the defense; another says no CM if there's a foul by the offense; no rule specifically says what to do if both of the above are true.)
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

One follow up point:

If the double foul happens when the ball is in the air and the shot does NOT go in, the resumption of play goes to the arrow.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
One follow up point:

If the double foul happens when the ball is in the air and the shot does NOT go in, the resumption of play goes to the arrow.
Double fouls go to the POI. An AP throw in MAY be the POI.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 12:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Double fouls go to the POI. An AP throw in MAY be the POI.
Given the parameters of his post, the POI would always be AP.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Given the parameters of his post, the POI would always be AP.
Absolutely. The thing with the OP to remember is that there can be 3 DIFFERENT outcomes.

1) DF while shooter STILL has the ball
2) DF while ball is in the air and shot is made
3) DF while ball is in the air and shot is missed
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 02:08pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Had this (once on a free throw!). Team A's basket counted, Team B's ball on the end line. Had it missed, we go to the arrow.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Absolutely. The thing with the OP to remember is that there can be 3 DIFFERENT outcomes.

1) DF while shooter STILL has the ball
Assuming by "shooter" you mean that the try has started, then there is no "separate" outcome for this -- it's going to fall into one of the other two categories.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Assuming by "shooter" you mean that the try has started, then there is no "separate" outcome for this -- it's going to fall into one of the other two categories.
Not sure about that. Continuous motion only applies when there is a foul by the defense. A double foul does not meet that criteria, hence the need for this first of three scenarios.

That's my take anyway.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I totally disagree. There is no continuous motion for a double foul.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 05:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Not sure how the rule is worded, but a double foul would include a "foul by the defense." What makes continuous motion inapplicable?

Thinking further: would it be the fact that a foul by a player on the team in control causes the ball to immediately become dead?

Last edited by Adam; Thu Dec 31, 2015 at 05:20pm. Reason: additional thought
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not sure how the rule is worded, but a double foul would include a "foul by the defense." What makes continuous motion inapplicable?

Thinking further: would it be the fact that a foul by a player on the team in control causes the ball to immediately become dead?
The rule doesn't say continuous motion is applicable or inapplicable. In fact, it doesn't even mention it as being relevant. If there is still team control, that team gets the ball for a throw in. Why try to muck it up?
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 06:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
The rule doesn't say continuous motion is applicable or inapplicable. In fact, it doesn't even mention it as being relevant. If there is still team control, that team gets the ball for a throw in. Why try to muck it up?
The question was whether the shot would count. The real question (and answer) is whether the ball is live when it goes through the basket if a double foul is committed while the shooter has the ball in his hand. The answer is no, it is not, the ball becomes dead when a teammate of the player with the ball commits a foul. In the end, you're right, but it's also important to understand the rule basis for the decision.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Yes, the fact that there is a foul by the offense makes the ball dead immediately. There is no exception that delays the dead ball when that occurs.