The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   double foul during shot (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100589-double-foul-during-shot.html)

so cal lurker Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:56am

double foul during shot

From game last night (as parent):

Double foul called (seemed to me like a poor choice to call a double foul, but that's beside the point) about the same time a shot is taken. I believe that the referee ruled the foul occurred before the shot was taken, and the team shooting kept the ball (I don't think the PA was flipped). (The coach was arguing the ball was in flight when the whistle blew, which is obviously not the test . . . this ref often had a slow whistle, sometimes very slow.)

If the double foul had occurred while the ball was in flight, does the basket count? If not, does it go to AP since no team control?

Raymond Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 974734)

Double foul called (seemed to me like a poor choice to call a double foul, but that's beside the point) about the same time a shot is taken. I believe that the referee ruled the foul occurred before the shot was taken, and the team shooting kept the ball (I don't think the PA was flipped). (The coach was arguing the ball was in flight when the whistle blew, which is obviously not the test . . . this ref often had a slow whistle, sometimes very slow.)

If the double foul had occurred while the ball was in flight, does the basket count? If not, does it go to AP since no team control?

Of course it would count and the POI would be a throw-in anywhere along the endline for B.

And if the double foul occurred before the try was released, the POI is quite obvious.

bob jenkins Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:27pm

Quote:

It is the test under NCAAW.

Correct on both counts.

And, if it happens after the motion has started, then it's the same answer (at least by interp, here. We've had discussions on this in the past -- one rule says allow continuous motion if there's a foul by the defense; another says no CM if there's a foul by the offense; no rule specifically says what to do if both of the above are true.)

derwil Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:38pm

Quote:

One follow up point:

If the double foul happens when the ball is in the air and the shot does NOT go in, the resumption of play goes to the arrow.

deecee Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by derwil (Post 974751)
One follow up point:

If the double foul happens when the ball is in the air and the shot does NOT go in, the resumption of play goes to the arrow.

Double fouls go to the POI. An AP throw in MAY be the POI.

Adam Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 974754)
Double fouls go to the POI. An AP throw in MAY be the POI.

Given the parameters of his post, the POI would always be AP.

deecee Thu Dec 31, 2015 01:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 974755)
Given the parameters of his post, the POI would always be AP.

Absolutely. The thing with the OP to remember is that there can be 3 DIFFERENT outcomes.

1) DF while shooter STILL has the ball
2) DF while ball is in the air and shot is made
3) DF while ball is in the air and shot is missed

bainsey Thu Dec 31, 2015 02:08pm

Quote:

Had this (once on a free throw!). Team A's basket counted, Team B's ball on the end line. Had it missed, we go to the arrow.

bob jenkins Thu Dec 31, 2015 02:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 974760)
Absolutely. The thing with the OP to remember is that there can be 3 DIFFERENT outcomes.

1) DF while shooter STILL has the ball

Assuming by "shooter" you mean that the try has started, then there is no "separate" outcome for this -- it's going to fall into one of the other two categories.

ODog Thu Dec 31, 2015 03:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 974768)
Assuming by "shooter" you mean that the try has started, then there is no "separate" outcome for this -- it's going to fall into one of the other two categories.

Not sure about that. Continuous motion only applies when there is a foul by the defense. A double foul does not meet that criteria, hence the need for this first of three scenarios.

That's my take anyway.

Nevadaref Thu Dec 31, 2015 05:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 974768)

I totally disagree. There is no continuous motion for a double foul.

Adam Thu Dec 31, 2015 05:19pm

Not sure how the rule is worded, but a double foul would include a "foul by the defense." What makes continuous motion inapplicable?

Thinking further: would it be the fact that a foul by a player on the team in control causes the ball to immediately become dead?

billyu2 Thu Dec 31, 2015 06:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 974785)
Not sure how the rule is worded, but a double foul would include a "foul by the defense." What makes continuous motion inapplicable?

Thinking further: would it be the fact that a foul by a player on the team in control causes the ball to immediately become dead?

The rule doesn't say continuous motion is applicable or inapplicable. In fact, it doesn't even mention it as being relevant. If there is still team control, that team gets the ball for a throw in. Why try to muck it up?

Adam Thu Dec 31, 2015 06:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyu2 (Post 974788)
The rule doesn't say continuous motion is applicable or inapplicable. In fact, it doesn't even mention it as being relevant. If there is still team control, that team gets the ball for a throw in. Why try to muck it up?

The question was whether the shot would count. The real question (and answer) is whether the ball is live when it goes through the basket if a double foul is committed while the shooter has the ball in his hand. The answer is no, it is not, the ball becomes dead when a teammate of the player with the ball commits a foul. In the end, you're right, but it's also important to understand the rule basis for the decision.

Camron Rust Thu Dec 31, 2015 06:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 974785)

Yes, the fact that there is a foul by the offense makes the ball dead immediately. There is no exception that delays the dead ball when that occurs.