The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 25, 2015, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

When I dunk the ball, it, the ball, actually leaves my hand a split second before my hand hits the rim. Also, if anybody can do that they deserve 3 points.

Ps. It's a nerf ball...with a rim on the back of a door but same principles apply..
Old Fri Dec 25, 2015, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

1. On 99% of dunks the ball is released prior to the player's hand(s) making contact with the ring.

2. By rule, contact with the backboard or basket has nothing to do with player location. Here's a test case for everyone: A1 jumps from out of bounds along the frontcourt end line. While airborne A1 touches the side of the backboard with one hand and then grabs a rebound and tosses the ball into the basket before landing on the court. Is this a good goal or an out of bounds violation?
Old Fri Dec 25, 2015, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
1. On 99% of dunks the ball is released prior to the player's hand(s) making contact with the ring.

2. By rule, contact with the backboard or basket has nothing to do with player location. Here's a test case for everyone: A1 jumps from out of bounds along the frontcourt end line. While airborne A1 touches the side of the backboard with one hand and then grabs a rebound and tosses the ball into the basket before landing on the court. Is this a good goal or an out of bounds violation?
I would say that's one helluva good goal. Unfortunately, it wouldn't count. Would you assess a T for touching the backboard to gain an advantage? 😃
Old Fri Dec 25, 2015, 08:07pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
I would say that's one helluva good goal. Unfortunately, it wouldn't count. Would you assess a T for touching the backboard to gain an advantage? ��
It's a T. The advantage gained was that he used the touch of the board to keep from getting an out of bounds violation.

Try this one, which is slightly more conceivable. A1 throws an errant pass which is headed out of bounds behind the board. A2 goes up in an attempt to save it and touches the back of the board just before touching the ball. Is this a violation?

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Dec 25, 2015, 08:16pm
High Five Master

I'm forgetful now, too many presents today: who was it that said "when a dunk is worth three, I'll start doing it"?

I wish I had a cool signature
Old Fri Dec 25, 2015, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
It's a T. The advantage gained was that he used the touch of the board to keep from getting an out of bounds violation.

Try this one, which is slightly more conceivable. A1 throws an errant pass which is headed out of bounds behind the board. A2 goes up in an attempt to save it and touches the back of the board just before touching the ball. Is this a violation?
It is not a violation. It is out of bounds if the BALL hits the back of the backboard. The rim and backboard are physically located inside 3 point line but not relevant to player location. Last in contact with floor or extension of floor. Most high school rims and backboards are extensions of the ceiling or sidewall.
Old Fri Dec 25, 2015, 09:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I am not so sure about that percentage since I doubt there was a study done on the topic. A lot of dunks involve you having some contact with the rim while releasing the ball. Especially the big aggressive dunks.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 25, 2015, 09:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

I can tell many of us must be bored as this will never happen in my lifetime and I doubt anyone here and their life time or we might have to do some big time drug testing.

I will worry about this when it happens to someone else. Until then it is really a discussion in futility.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 25, 2015, 11:10pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
It is not a violation. It is out of bounds if the BALL hits the back of the backboard. The rim and backboard are physically located inside 3 point line but not relevant to player location. Last in contact with floor or extension of floor. Most high school rims and backboards are extensions of the ceiling or sidewall.
You are absolutely right. Here is the value in all this gibberish. It caused me to search through rules that I "already knew." I did not realize that the rule for out of bounds was separated in such a way for ball vs. player. I still don't really see the value in knowing this right now, but it's always better to know, is it not?

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Dec 25, 2015, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You are absolutely right. Here is the value in all this gibberish. It caused me to search through rules that I "already knew." I did not realize that the rule for out of bounds was separated in such a way for ball vs. player. I still don't really see the value in knowing this right now, but it's always better to know, is it not?
It is always good to know...Rules and case books are giant puzzle. They can be memorized but we still have to know how they fit with each other...a never ending process...
Old Sat Dec 26, 2015, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The backboard has inbounds status, therefore, so does the rim. If it has status with regard to inbounds/out of bounds, it must also have status with regard to inside/outside the line.
The boundary line is sometimes a plane that extends upwards. The three-point line is not, and does not, so I don't agree with your conclusion above.
Old Sat Dec 26, 2015, 10:27am
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

5-2-1: A successful try, tap or thrown ball from the field by a player who
is located behind the team's own 19-foot, 9-inch arc counts three points. A ball
that touches the floor, a teammate inside the arc, an official, or any other goal
from the field counts two points for the team into whose basket the ball is thrown.

I'm trying to understand some posts. Some of you are saying that if the shooter touches the rim before releasing the ball, you consider him to be shooting from within the three point arc, and thus, it's only two points.

And, if the shooter touches the rim after releasing the ball, you consider him to be shooting from outside the three point arc, and thus, it's three points.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 26, 2015 at 10:30am.
Old Sat Dec 26, 2015, 10:32am
Esteemed Forum Member

Headache ???

If a player, while holding the ball, jumps and hits his head (not the ball) (unintentionally, no advantage gained) on a basket support, is said player out of bounds?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 26, 2015, 10:37am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

No. Reference the rules on player location.
Old Sun Dec 27, 2015, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
5-2-1: A successful try, tap or thrown ball from the field by a player who
is located behind the team's own 19-foot, 9-inch arc counts three points. A ball
that touches the floor, a teammate inside the arc, an official, or any other goal
from the field counts two points for the team into whose basket the ball is thrown.

I'm trying to understand some posts. Some of you are saying that if the shooter touches the rim before releasing the ball, you consider him to be shooting from within the three point arc, and thus, it's only two points.

And, if the shooter touches the rim after releasing the ball, you consider him to be shooting from outside the three point arc, and thus, it's three points.

I looked at the definitions (NFHS) of shooting and dunking. Shooting appears to involve throwing/tapping while dunking appears to involve forcing through the basket. By definition, dunking does NOT have to involve rim contact. The video of Griffin "dunking" appears to involve no rim contact with his hand. That NBA goal would be defined by the NFHS as a dunk. Billy Mac's 5-2-1 reference indicates that a "try" behind the 3-point line would count as 3 points. So, IMO, if someone jumped from behind the 3-point line and forcefully scored (dunked) a goal while touching the rim, it would count as 3 points. If the same situation occurred without touching the rim (still dunking by definition), it would count as 3 points.

Hypotheticals....gotta luv 'em.