The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ibumgardner
3 point line/arc

I was looking at the 3 point markings on a high school basketball court yesterday and realized that they aren't correct. By rule, the 3 point 'line' must be 19' 9" from the center of the basket (NCAA women and HS). However, once the arc is 'directly across' from the goal, the arc straightens until it reaches the baseline. This means that the closer you are to the baseline, the farther the distance is to the basket from behind the arc. So, when I got home, I took out my calculator and did some calculations. Since the center of the basket is 63" from the baseline, a shot taken from the baseline behind the arc is approximately 20' 5.24" (more 8" farther than shot from top of key). For those that are interested, the math for the distance is fairly simple (right triangle with legs 63" and 19'9"…find the hypotenuse).

I wonder if anyone has actually taken this into consideration. Heck, the NCAA rules committee decided to change the distance by a little more than that for the men but not the women. So, the distance does make a difference.

Thoughts?
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 03:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

You really have too much time on your hands.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

I noticed this many years ago, never thought it was significant. Because you're behind the backboard, at some point it becomes more difficult to make that basket with the backboard in the way. But I don't know where that point is. Camron will probably be along soon with his protractor to tell us.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibumgardner View Post
I was looking at the 3 point markings on a high school basketball court yesterday and realized that they aren't correct. By rule, the 3 point 'line' must be 19' 9" from the center of the basket (NCAA women and HS). However, once the arc is 'directly across' from the goal, the arc straightens until it reaches the baseline. This means that the closer you are to the baseline, the farther the distance is to the basket from behind the arc. So, when I got home, I took out my calculator and did some calculations. Since the center of the basket is 63" from the baseline, a shot taken from the baseline behind the arc is approximately 20' 5.24" (more 8" farther than shot from top of key). For those that are interested, the math for the distance is fairly simple (right triangle with legs 63" and 19'9"…find the hypotenuse).

I wonder if anyone has actually taken this into consideration. Heck, the NCAA rules committee decided to change the distance by a little more than that for the men but not the women. So, the distance does make a difference.

Thoughts?
Yabut, the rule describes/clarifies those 63 inches and refers you to the official rulebook drawing. I don't read anywhere by rule the 3 point shot is 19'9", I read how the lines should be laid out and anything beyond those lines is a 3 point attempt.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 06:53pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

OP is correct, just like are football fields really 110 yards (or 100 for you yankees) long? The 55 yard line (50 for yanks) should be infinitesimally thin, or the middle of the line is what is used.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2008, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
OP is correct, just like are football fields really 110 yards (or 100 for you yankees) long? The 55 yard line (50 for yanks) should be infinitesimally thin, or the middle of the line is what is used.

The math might be right, but the premise ("a constant 19' 9" ") is wrong. Coach P has the correct premise -- an arc of 19' 9" intersecting with lines straight from the end line.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2008, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ah, "yank" football fields are 120 yards long.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Oct 08, 2008, 01:50pm
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Ah, "yank" football fields are 120 yards long.
This is including End Zones. Exclude them and Juggler is correct.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2008, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
This is including End Zones. Exclude them and Juggler is correct.
You can't exclude end zones, because then it wouldn't be a football field, it would be just a field with lines and numbers painted on it.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2008, 05:34pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
You can't exclude end zones, because then it wouldn't be a football field, it would be just a field with lines and numbers painted on it.
The quirk I mention exists without the need for endzones.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2008, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The quirk I mention exists without the need for endzones.
That quirk would, of course, be Canadian football?
Old Wed Oct 08, 2008, 06:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
That quirk would, of course, be Canadian football?
More likely the XFL.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 07:19am
MABO Member

And since the end zones are different sizes as well, a conversion would be required for that as well.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.