The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 25, 2015, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

How many points for dunking from the 3-point line?

If a player jumps from behind the 3-point line and dunks the ball, how many points are awarded?

OK, dumb hypothetical play but, BY RULE, what is correct answer, 2 or 3 points?

Oh, and what about dunking a free throw? Shooter can't cross line until ball makes contact with rim/backboard after release but if dunking, there is no release until it has made contact or gone through the rim.

Yes, I know, they are dumb plays that can't happen. Just thinking too much this X-Mas morning prepping for day of NBA follies.
Old Fri Dec 25, 2015, 12:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Simple Answers ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvhoops View Post
If a player jumps from behind the 3-point line and dunks the ball, how many points are awarded ... what about dunking a free throw?
Three points for field goal. Why not (other than the rules of biology and physics)?

Illegal for free throw.

9-1: The free thrower shall not have either foot beyond the vertical plane of the
edge of the free-throw line which is farther from the basket or the free throw
semicircle line ... The restrictions in 9-1-3b through g apply until the ball touches the
ring or backboard or until the free throw ends.

However, this may be legal for dunking a free throw:

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Dec 25, 2015 at 12:10pm.
Old Fri Dec 25, 2015, 12:26pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvhoops View Post
...dumb hypothetical play...dumb plays that can't happen...
Admittedly, but sometimes such off-the-wall plays illustrate rules that are important to know. And when called upon to adjudicate a play based on those rules we don't have time to think, "What was the rule on this again?" You asked a couple of questions about which it would be tempting just to leave this discussion with just the answers. Dig into the rule book to find out why and what the rule references are on these and similar plays. That knowledge will make it easier to adjudicate other situations that are more common when they happen. (Hint: feet in relation to the plane of the various kinds of lines that come into play...) I know these questions will compel me to review a few on my own. Merry Christmas!

Last edited by Freddy; Fri Dec 25, 2015 at 12:28pm.
Old Fri Dec 25, 2015, 01:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

If you did a dunk like Blake Griffin or Jordan of the Clippers, then I cannot see how you can justify anything but a 2 point shot.

Just imagine this dunk from the 3 point line.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Fri Dec 25, 2015 at 01:17pm.
Old Fri Dec 25, 2015, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If you did a dunk like Blake Griffin or Jordan of the Clippers, then I cannot see how you can justify anything but a 2 point shot.

Just imagine this dunk from the 3 point line.

Not correct.
If the player jumps from behind the 3-pt line, the try is worth three points.
Old Fri Dec 25, 2015, 03:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Not correct.
If the player jumps from behind the 3-pt line, the try is worth three points.
What is not correct? I said unless there is a dunk where the ball is not released until the ball is in the hoop, I cannot see a ruling that supports giving 3 points for a dunk.

I stand by that comment, which is why I gave a specific video reference. If you disagree, show some evidence that is incorrect. Otherwise we are debating something that so far is nearly impossible. Last time I checked, you are not an official person on this issue anymore than I am.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 25, 2015, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What is not correct? I said unless there is a dunk where the ball is not released until the ball is in the hoop, I cannot see a ruling that supports giving 3 points for a dunk.

I stand by that comment, which is why I gave a specific video reference. If you disagree, show some evidence that is incorrect. Otherwise we are debating something that so far is nearly impossible. Last time I checked, you are not an official person on this issue anymore than I am.
The only aspect that matters is player location. Player location is determined by where the player was last in contact with the floor. So, again, if the player jumps from behind the three-point line, the try is worth three points. It doesn't matter how close to the basket the ball is released. That is not relevant.

What is written in the rules is all that is needed to show that you are wrong. Of course, you will never admit it.
Old Fri Dec 25, 2015, 03:42pm
We don't rent pigs

While we're speaking hypothetically, (and that's all this is) how often do you see a player dunk without contacting the rim? When this happens, wouldn't that be the same as touching the floor inside the line? Two points.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Dec 25, 2015, 03:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
The only aspect that matters is player location. Player location is determined by where the player was last in contact with the floor. So, again, if the player jumps from behind the three-point line, the try is worth three points. It doesn't matter how close to the basket the ball is released. That is not relevant.

What is written in the rules is all that is needed to show that you are wrong. Of course, you will never admit it.
I am aware of this and why I said that the dunk video would be a 3 if it happened. It is technically a dunk by definition, but was clearly released before touching the rim or in this case not touching the rim at all. I actually think in this very hypothetical situations (with my comments about the video) it would be a 3 unless there was an interpretation that suggested that any dunk would not apply as a 3 point shot.

Otherwise I have not seen many dunks where the rim is not touched on some level.

Nothing to admit, I think the video would fit part of the discussion we are having. Stop talking as if you are the authority on the issue, you are not. But you will never stop doing that either.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 25, 2015, 04:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
While we're speaking hypothetically, (and that's all this is) how often do you see a player dunk without contacting the rim? When this happens, wouldn't that be the same as touching the floor inside the line? Two points.
At the HS level or college level almost never. I have only seen a couple of high profile dunks at the NBA level that did not actually touch the rim. And those situations had to be pointed out that they "May not have been a dunk" because the rim was never touched. But by definition in both college and HS, you do not need the rim to be touched to have a dunk (for example: fitting the definition of a dunk for pre-game purposes).

I also do not think we will ever get a real resolution to this as this is such a hypothetical that it is not likely going to happen in our lifetime or under the current rules of basketball.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 25, 2015, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

This is so laughable. The master of double-speak is now changing the number of points that's he's awarding and claiming that he has been correct all along!
I'm not wasting any more of my time arguing with this fool. Everyone can see that he wrote 2 in his first post.
Old Fri Dec 25, 2015, 04:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
This is so laughable. The master of double-speak is now changing the number of points that's he's awarding and claiming that he has been correct all along!
I'm not wasting any more of my time arguing with this fool. Everyone can see that he wrote 2 in his first post.
I said I thought the video was a 3 if we are using the standard from the hypothetical.

You are so worried about every little detail I say, you seem like you need a better partner in life.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 25, 2015, 04:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Um, why?
Old Fri Dec 25, 2015, 05:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I am aware of this and why I said that the dunk video would be a 3 if it happened. It is technically a dunk by definition, but was clearly released before touching the rim or in this case not touching the rim at all. I actually think in this very hypothetical situations (with my comments about the video) it would be a 3 unless there was an interpretation that suggested that any dunk would not apply as a 3 point shot.
Rut, you clearly said before that you think it would be two. Go back and re-read them, edit them if you'd like, but what you said there does not match what you're saying here.

And I can't for the life of me figure out what difference it makes whether the dunk was released prior to the shooter touching the rim.
Old Fri Dec 25, 2015, 05:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

This is clearly a three, by rule, whether the ball is released prior to the shooter touching the rim or it's what we all think of as a dunk. As long as the shooter jumped from behind the three point line, then it's a three point shot. Touching the rim does't change that.