The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 12, 2002, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Cool

In the June 10th issue of "The SportingNews", the NCAA will experiment moving the 3-point line.
"NCAA rules committee approved an experiment with a slightly longer 3-point shot. In all "exempt" games-events and tournaments such as the Maui Invitational & Preseason NIT-the line will be set at 20feet, 6inches.

That is the international 3-point distance used in the Olympics and World Champs. It is a corollary to the rules committee's experiment with an NBA width foul lane, Which NCAA offcials coordinator Hank Nichols belives would open up room for offensive movement and allow the game to flow more freely."
How would this effect the 3-man crew
I don't post to often so sorry for the long winded.

Barry M. Armstrong
Old Wed Jun 12, 2002, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't think it would affect the game, from an officials point of view, all too much. Keep in mind, I don't work a lot of 3 person mechanics, but I know enough to be dangerous.

In the men's game, I could see one minor adjustment, and that would be the position of the trail. S/He may have to take one step back toward half court, but that'd be about it. The C may have to cheat a bit on some of those shots near the top of the key, but not enough to be considered a 'major' change.

In the womens game, I suppose there'd be two adjustments, one of which I mentioned above (position of trail). The other would be the position of the lead, since s/he'd have to slide out towards the sideline a bit more to cover the three point attempt in the corner.

In short, I dunno.
Old Wed Jun 12, 2002, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think a difference of a foot will really matter much in mechanics - just a step or two back should fix any problems in that department.

The only problem I can think of is the "which line is the 3pt. line?" problem - especially if a court has 3 different arcs painted.
Old Wed Jun 12, 2002, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
No serious mechanics differences. The adjustment will be for the 3 point shooters on each of the teams. It will spread the game further and allow the true 3 point shooters step forward. Our mechanics will stay the same.
Old Thu Jun 13, 2002, 06:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
No serious mechanics differences. The adjustment will .... allow the true 3 point shooters [to] step forward.
Actually, won't they be stepping backward !?