Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 22, 2015, 01:32pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Why do you have to jump in like it's a contest? Just say "I'm Rich" without thinking you're better than you partner for using your first name.

I don't know coaches names. Kids get "Mr. A-hole", coaches get "Imma".
I was joking. I mentioned that in a subsequent post. We introduce ourselves as we're shaking hands.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2015, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
that I think most of them aren't paying any attention.
That because they aren't. Doesn't matter what you say because they aren't listening. They just want to play ball.

I introduce myself and P and ask if they have any questions. Ask P is he has anything. He says, "Have Fun". The End. No more than 10-15 secs.

Last edited by Mregor; Tue Dec 22, 2015 at 09:23pm.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2015, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

My pregame lasts 60 seconds tops, including the awkward handshakes, and gets shorter as the season goes on.

"Coaches, is everyone legally equipped and are you aware of the concussion/injury protocols?" (If we've seen any uniform issues that haven't been rectified before the meeting, particularly in girls games, I'll mention them here).

*If coaches boxes are not marked* "Coach's boxes are not marked on this floor, please be mindful of where you are"

"Coaches please let us know right away which kind of timeout you want, we'll take our time getting you into the timeout, please have them ready to play on the second horn."

"Players, sportsmanship, as always, is important, and help us with any loose balls that go rolling."

I ask if my partner has anything (usually not).

"Have fun, good luck".

If I'm the R, I usually check the book at 11:00, sign the book once I approve, then call my partner over for the captains. I'm unaware of any requirements as for when the meeting should happen in my state (maybe fellow Illinois officials can clarify that for me). Assuming there's no prescribed guideline, I'd rather get it out of the way as soon as possible so the players and coaches can get back to their pregame routine. I'd also rather grab teams before they all leave the floor for a final pregame meeting, as some teams do.

I don't ask for speaking captains. I won't remember who they are 10 seconds after we've broken the meeting. As others have said, I answer pretty much any respectful question from a player.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2015, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

To everyone: Our job is to keep the players safe, make sure the game is fair and ensure good sportsmanship by everyone.
To players: Speaking captains? Respect the game!
To Coaches: players properly equipped?
We play on second the horn.
To everyone: Have fun and lets play hoops!
Takes about 30 seconds.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2015, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

This year SC is not allowing the waistband on shorts to be rolled, so we've been reminding players in our pregame meetings. We still have to remind a couple times during the game.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2015, 12:08am
AremRed

Coaches meeting: "Nice to meet you, I'm . Good luck!"

Captains meeting: "Look, we know things are gonna happen in the game -- let's keep our composure and we'll get through it. We are a part of the game just like you are. You keep it clean, we'll keep it fair. Good luck!"
Old Wed Dec 23, 2015, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

This year in Ontario we have been forced to to drag the Coaches to the Captain's meeting.

In the past my Captains meeting would be introduce the crew and " any questions? Good luck, have fun"

Now, since the Coaches are there it is " Everyone is legally equipped and will display good Sportsmanship???? Good luck, have fun"

This year my meeting has increased from 12 seconds to 16. It is the biggest waste of time. The Captains don't listen. The Coaches don't want to be there anymore than I want to force them to be there. There is never anything worthwhile to discuss. It's not a rules clinic.

FIBA is on to something. No Captains meetings.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2015, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
We greet the coaches at 1:30. It's a "walk by" and the R asks the head coach if his players are legally attired.

No reason to combine the meetings.
This was a much better system. IAABO and their "infinite wisdom" eff'd it up for everyone.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2015, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

I've added some commentary to streamline your meeting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
I am looking for some input on what others say during their pre-game captains meeting. The general flow of our conversations go like this:

R: Coach A, Do you have an administrator?
Coach A: Yes

R: Coach B, Do you have an administrator?
Coach B: Yes

Completely irrelevant in this setting, IMHO.

R: (to both coaches) Are your players legally equipped and will demonstrate good sportsmanship?

- Required, by rule. So I guess you should keep it in.
Coach A and B: (faintly) yes

R: Who are my speaking captains?
-
Don't do this. Treat the players like adults. If a player comes up to me, and asks me an appropriate question at the appropriate time in the appropriate tone and said at the appropriate volume, they'll get the appropriate answer regardless of whether or not they are a Captain.
A : 32 B: 10

R: White take care of white, blue take care of blue

R: Good luck....

Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with how this goes, but its become so repetitive with players and coaches, that I think most of them aren't paying any attention. The other night, I said "Coaches, my partners are not going to make any mistakes, but I will, come to us if you have questions." Just trying to see if they were awake....got nothing.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2015, 07:17am
Esteemed Forum Member

Check Your Local Listings ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refhoop View Post
To players: Speaking captains?
What's your number? Are you starting?

(How does this blue font thing work?)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 23, 2015, 10:16am
Get away from me, Steve.

I simply ask "who's in charge" and two captains lift up the warmup.

I (usually) immediately forget the numbers. I do it for a number of reasons, though:

(1) I want to make sure that (especially on a neutral floor game) that one team is wearing white and one is wearing something else. We've had a history here of teams coming to tournaments and the post-season wearing white to find out the other team was wearing white.

(2) Especially for the visiting team -- I want to see the color of the jersey so I can check to make sure any colored headbands are legal. We had a team with blue headbands on earlier this season and at the captain's meeting I learned they were wearing gray uniform tops.

Takes me just 2-3 seconds of my 11 second pregame.

I used to do the old-timey thing of notifying the captains I was about to toss, but I discarded that. I also discarded asking both coaches and the table if they were ready when I'm the U1. If the clock's reset, they're ready. The coaches had better be ready.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2015, 01:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It would be a cold day in hell before I'd introduce myself as "Mr." anything.

I've had partners do that....I usually jump in and say, "I'm Rich."

Of course I also call all coaches by their first names, as well.
I do not want any high school kid calling my by my first name. Maybe it is a cultural thing (and it is) but they are not allowed to call me by my first name as I do did not call adults at that age by my first name.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 23, 2015, 01:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

1. Are your players properly equip? (To coaches)

2. We have well marked coaches boxes, so please stay in them during the contest (To coaches).

3. Who is my speaking captain? (To players)

4. This is an IHSA contest played under National Federation Rules, we are going to adhere to sportsmanship.

I usual add and they pay attention: If we are talking to you, listen. If we stop talking to you, we will put air in the whistle, so listen.

5: Do you have anything to add (To partners).

6: Have fun...

Then we break.

Usually takes 30 seconds total when I start talking after introductions.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Wed Dec 23, 2015 at 01:32pm.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2015, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Usually takes 30 minutes total when I start talking after introductions.

Peace
You must be related to my dad.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2015, 01:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
You must be related to my dad.
Too busy watching HGTV with a certain person and hearing all this stuff about time.

Peace
Closed Thread