The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 10:15am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 30
Throw in alignment

Team A aligns players perpendicular to the end line, chest to back, for a throw-in. Team B coach requests their players be allowed to insert between team A players. Do we as officials grant the team B coaches request?

After asking 12 officials, the results were 10 grant team B request and 2 deny request. Can't find rule or case play that confirms either response.

I've only found this rule which relates to alignment parallel to end line;

RULE 7 SECTION 6 ART. 5

Teammates shall not occupy adjacent positions which are *parallel to and within 3 feet of the boundary line if an opponent desires one of the *positions. The 3-foot restraining line is sometimes the temporary boundary line as in 1-2-2.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 10:19am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by bseybs32 View Post
Team A aligns players perpendicular to the end line, chest to back, for a throw-in. Team B coach requests their players be allowed to insert between team A players. Do we as officials grant the team B coaches request?

After asking 12 officials, the results were 10 grant team B request and 2 deny request. Can't find rule or case play that confirms either response.

I've only found this rule which relates to alignment parallel to end line;

RULE 7 SECTION 6 ART. 5

Teammates shall not occupy adjacent positions which are *parallel to and within 3 feet of the boundary line if an opponent desires one of the *positions. The 3-foot restraining line is sometimes the temporary boundary line as in 1-2-2.
That's the right reference. Parallel is not perpendicular. So, if they are parallel, let the defense in. If they are perpendicular, the first to the spot gets it.

I think there's some case or interp on this.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 10:25am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
That's the right reference. Parallel is not perpendicular. So, if they are parallel, let the defense in. If they are perpendicular, the first to the spot gets it.

I think there's some case or interp on this.
I thought there was as well, but I can't find a case or interp.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 11:09am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Detroit Metro
Posts: 509
2013 OHSAA Basketball ‐ Quiz 3
1. Prior to a throw‐in on the end line under A’s basket, A1, A2, and A3 line up shoulder‐to
shoulder parallel to the end line (a) within 3 feet of the end line (b) more than 3 feet from
the end line. In both cases Team B requests a space between the Team A players. What do
we permit Team B to do? (c) What do we do if the Team A players line up tightly perpendicular to the
end line and the Team B players request a position between them.
In (a) the request is granted and a Team B player may position himself between each of the
Team A players. In (b) the request in denied. In (c) the request is denied. Rule book page 52
rule 7 section 6 art. 5. Casebook page 63 – 7.6.5
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 08:44pm
Dad Dad is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 849
83% of the officials you asked were wrong?

Or did I miss something?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NB/PEI, Canada
Posts: 788
We have discussed this before. By rule the defense must get there first to get spots. In practice most officials do not want players jockeying for spots and space during dead balls particularly after substitutions or situations where defence cannot get to spots first. Members of this board convinced me to call it by the book but most of my former colleagues still give them spots.
__________________
Coach: Hey ref I'll make sure you can get out of here right after the game!

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 12,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
We have discussed this before. By rule the defense must get there first to get spots. In practice most officials do not want players jockeying for spots and space during dead balls particularly after substitutions or situations where defence cannot get to spots first. Members of this board convinced me to call it by the book but most of my former colleagues still give them spots.
I'll give them spots too, just not those spots.
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
illegal alignment timeout Volleyball 6 Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:13pm
Alignment of offensive linemen Mike246 Football 8 Sat Nov 24, 2012 09:09am
Illegal Alignment? Proftd Volleyball 7 Fri Oct 08, 2010 04:17pm
alignment penalty Roger Greene Volleyball 6 Tue Feb 23, 2010 01:21pm
New free throw alignment and 1! MOFFICIAL Basketball 14 Wed Apr 21, 2004 09:43am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1