The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Throw in alignment

Team A aligns players perpendicular to the end line, chest to back, for a throw-in. Team B coach requests their players be allowed to insert between team A players. Do we as officials grant the team B coaches request?

After asking 12 officials, the results were 10 grant team B request and 2 deny request. Can't find rule or case play that confirms either response.

I've only found this rule which relates to alignment parallel to end line;

RULE 7 SECTION 6 ART. 5

Teammates shall not occupy adjacent positions which are *parallel to and within 3 feet of the boundary line if an opponent desires one of the *positions. The 3-foot restraining line is sometimes the temporary boundary line as in 1-2-2.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bseybs32 View Post
Team A aligns players perpendicular to the end line, chest to back, for a throw-in. Team B coach requests their players be allowed to insert between team A players. Do we as officials grant the team B coaches request?

After asking 12 officials, the results were 10 grant team B request and 2 deny request. Can't find rule or case play that confirms either response.

I've only found this rule which relates to alignment parallel to end line;

RULE 7 SECTION 6 ART. 5

Teammates shall not occupy adjacent positions which are *parallel to and within 3 feet of the boundary line if an opponent desires one of the *positions. The 3-foot restraining line is sometimes the temporary boundary line as in 1-2-2.
That's the right reference. Parallel is not perpendicular. So, if they are parallel, let the defense in. If they are perpendicular, the first to the spot gets it.

I think there's some case or interp on this.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
That's the right reference. Parallel is not perpendicular. So, if they are parallel, let the defense in. If they are perpendicular, the first to the spot gets it.

I think there's some case or interp on this.
I thought there was as well, but I can't find a case or interp.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

2013 OHSAA Basketball ‐ Quiz 3
1. Prior to a throw‐in on the end line under A’s basket, A1, A2, and A3 line up shoulder‐to
shoulder parallel to the end line (a) within 3 feet of the end line (b) more than 3 feet from
the end line. In both cases Team B requests a space between the Team A players. What do
we permit Team B to do? (c) What do we do if the Team A players line up tightly perpendicular to the
end line and the Team B players request a position between them.
In (a) the request is granted and a Team B player may position himself between each of the
Team A players. In (b) the request in denied. In (c) the request is denied. Rule book page 52
rule 7 section 6 art. 5. Casebook page 63 – 7.6.5
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

83% of the officials you asked were wrong?

Or did I miss something?
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

We have discussed this before. By rule the defense must get there first to get spots. In practice most officials do not want players jockeying for spots and space during dead balls particularly after substitutions or situations where defence cannot get to spots first. Members of this board convinced me to call it by the book but most of my former colleagues still give them spots.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
We have discussed this before. By rule the defense must get there first to get spots. In practice most officials do not want players jockeying for spots and space during dead balls particularly after substitutions or situations where defence cannot get to spots first. Members of this board convinced me to call it by the book but most of my former colleagues still give them spots.
I'll give them spots too, just not those spots.