The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 19, 2004, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have access to my books right now-the new alignment calls for a maximum of four defensive and two offensive players along the lane lines. If an offensive player opts not to line up can the defensive player position himself in his spot? NF and NCAA Men's please

Second question.
I was watching a game (rec league NF rules) the other day and the tapper after tapping caught the tap before it touched the floor or another player. He passed the ball immedietely without dribbling. I questioned the official and he said as long as he didn't dribble it was a legal act-again I don't have access of my books. NF please

Old Mon Apr 19, 2004, 08:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by MOFFICIAL
1) I don't have access to my books right now-the new alignment calls for a maximum of four defensive and two offensive players along the lane lines. If an offensive player opts not to line up can the defensive player position himself in his spot? NF and NCAA Men's please

Second question.
2) I was watching a game (rec league NF rules) the other day and the tapper after tapping caught the tap before it touched the floor or another player. He passed the ball immedietely without dribbling. I questioned the official and he said as long as he didn't dribble it was a legal act-again I don't have access of my books. NF please

1) The answer is yes in both NCAA & NFHS rulesets.

2)Violation on the jumper. Can't catch the ball before the ball hits a non-jumper or the floor,backboard or basket.
Old Mon Apr 19, 2004, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
1) I don't have access to my books right now-the new alignment calls for a maximum of four defensive and two offensive players along the lane lines. If an offensive player opts not to line up can the defensive player position himself in his spot? NF and NCAA Men's please

Second question.
2) I was watching a game (rec league NF rules) the other day and the tapper after tapping caught the tap before it touched the floor or another player. He passed the ball immedietely without dribbling. I questioned the official and he said as long as he didn't dribble it was a legal act-again I don't have access of my books. NF please

1) The answer is yes in both NCAA & NFHS rulesets.

2)Violation on the jumper. Can't catch the ball before the ball hits a non-jumper or the floor,backboard or basket.
#1 As long as it is still only 4 defensive players, the only spots that have requirements are the bottom two, that need to be occupied by the defense, and the top space, which must be empty.
Old Mon Apr 19, 2004, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Why was the rule chaged to allow only 4 defensive and 2 offensive players on the side of the lane?
Old Mon Apr 19, 2004, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Second question.
I was watching a game (rec league NF rules) the other day and the tapper after tapping caught the tap before it touched the floor or another player. He passed the ball immedietely without dribbling. I questioned the official and he said as long as he didn't dribble it was a legal act-again I don't have access of my books. NF please

By tap are you referring to a try for a field goal??
If you are, and if in the officials judgement it was deemed a shot, team and player control are eliminated, and he can pick up the ball, dribble, pass or shoot, ect.
Old Tue Apr 20, 2004, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
Why was the rule chaged to allow only 4 defensive and 2 offensive players on the side of the lane?
To cut down on 'rough' play.
Old Tue Apr 20, 2004, 05:12pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

First question the answer is yes, as already pointed out, but it is important to note that there still can only be 4 defensive players. That is, a third defensive player cannot take a space that an offensive player has abandoned.

I assume that your second question addresses a jump ball situation. The tapper (or jumper) cannot catch the ball -- it is a violation. If the jumper A1 catches the ball, team B gets the ball OOB for a throw-in and Team A gets the possession arrow -- both NFHS and NCAA rules.

[Edited by Brad on Apr 20th, 2004 at 10:11 PM]
Old Tue Apr 20, 2004, 05:33pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
First question the answer is yes, as already pointed out, but it is important to note that there still can only be 2 defensive players. That is, a third defensive player cannot take a space that an offensive player has abandoned.
There can be four (4) defensive players in the lane and two (2) offensive at most but not fewer than two (2) defensive players.

We were told in Illinois that the defensive players cannot occupy the vacated offensive spots.
Old Tue Apr 20, 2004, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
Quote:

Second question.

By tap are you referring to a try for a field goal??
If you are, and if in the officials judgement it was deemed a shot, team and player control are eliminated, and he can pick up the ball, dribble, pass or shoot, ect.
I read it mean a jump ball....which would have been a violation.
Old Tue Apr 20, 2004, 06:22pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by w_sohl
[/B]
There can be four (4) defensive players in the lane and two (2) offensive at most but not fewer than two (2) defensive players.

We were told in Illinois that the defensive players cannot occupy the vacated offensive spots. [/B][/QUOTE]Is that an "Illinois only" rule put in by IHSA for both boys and girls high school games?
Old Tue Apr 20, 2004, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

We were told in Illinois that the defensive players cannot occupy the vacated offensive spots.
Not in the rules meetings I went to.

Old Tue Apr 20, 2004, 09:12pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Yeah -- I meant 4. The point is that there can be 4 and 2 -- no more than that, even if one player vacates his spot.
Old Wed Apr 21, 2004, 08:28am
I drank what?

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Not in the rules meetings I went to.

If I remember correctly, I was told this by H.B., the guy you want to talk to if you have a rules question. If I am wrong, please correct me as I would much rather get it right than continue to be wrong.

(Didn't want to mention any names specifically but you can probably figure it out if you officiate in Illinois.)
Old Wed Apr 21, 2004, 08:46am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
If I remember correctly, I was told this by H.B., the guy you want to talk to if you have a rules question. If I am wrong, please correct me as I would much rather get it right than continue to be wrong.

(Didn't want to mention any names specifically but you can probably figure it out if you officiate in Illinois.)
It was some time ago (October or November 2003), but I remember that question being asked of him and he said they could move. Now I will admit that there was some confusion in the very beginning and there were people (not associated with a specific association) before the rulebooks came out what the actual rule was. But I do not remember him saying that at meetings of ours we attended. But I will say this, during the summer time there was a lot of miscommunication or misinformation when it came to that rule. Maybe that is when he made those statements. But we have nothing special here that is different from what the NF says on this issue.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 21, 2004, 09:43am
I drank what?

I was probably incorrect then, I will look further into it for a definative answer. I personally don't see a problem with them moving down as there is no advantage gained because the offense has already vacted those spots giving up their advantge of having those spots.