The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Throw in alignment (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100498-throw-alignment.html)

bseybs32 Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:15am

Throw in alignment

Team A aligns players perpendicular to the end line, chest to back, for a throw-in. Team B coach requests their players be allowed to insert between team A players. Do we as officials grant the team B coaches request?

After asking 12 officials, the results were 10 grant team B request and 2 deny request. Can't find rule or case play that confirms either response.

I've only found this rule which relates to alignment parallel to end line;

RULE 7 SECTION 6 ART. 5

Teammates shall not occupy adjacent positions which are *parallel to and within 3 feet of the boundary line if an opponent desires one of the *positions. The 3-foot restraining line is sometimes the temporary boundary line as in 1-2-2.

bob jenkins Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bseybs32 (Post 972788)
Team A aligns players perpendicular to the end line, chest to back, for a throw-in. Team B coach requests their players be allowed to insert between team A players. Do we as officials grant the team B coaches request?

After asking 12 officials, the results were 10 grant team B request and 2 deny request. Can't find rule or case play that confirms either response.

I've only found this rule which relates to alignment parallel to end line;

RULE 7 SECTION 6 ART. 5

Teammates shall not occupy adjacent positions which are *parallel to and within 3 feet of the boundary line if an opponent desires one of the *positions. The 3-foot restraining line is sometimes the temporary boundary line as in 1-2-2.

That's the right reference. Parallel is not perpendicular. So, if they are parallel, let the defense in. If they are perpendicular, the first to the spot gets it.

I think there's some case or interp on this.

bseybs32 Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 972789)
That's the right reference. Parallel is not perpendicular. So, if they are parallel, let the defense in. If they are perpendicular, the first to the spot gets it.

I think there's some case or interp on this.

I thought there was as well, but I can't find a case or interp.

dsqrddgd909 Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:09am

2013 OHSAA Basketball ‐ Quiz 3
1. Prior to a throw‐in on the end line under A’s basket, A1, A2, and A3 line up shoulder‐to
shoulder parallel to the end line (a) within 3 feet of the end line (b) more than 3 feet from
the end line. In both cases Team B requests a space between the Team A players. What do
we permit Team B to do? (c) What do we do if the Team A players line up tightly perpendicular to the
end line and the Team B players request a position between them.
In (a) the request is granted and a Team B player may position himself between each of the
Team A players. In (b) the request in denied. In (c) the request is denied. Rule book page 52
rule 7 section 6 art. 5. Casebook page 63 – 7.6.5

Dad Mon Dec 14, 2015 08:44pm

83% of the officials you asked were wrong?

Or did I miss something?

Pantherdreams Mon Dec 14, 2015 09:46pm

We have discussed this before. By rule the defense must get there first to get spots. In practice most officials do not want players jockeying for spots and space during dead balls particularly after substitutions or situations where defence cannot get to spots first. Members of this board convinced me to call it by the book but most of my former colleagues still give them spots.

Camron Rust Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantherdreams (Post 972917)
We have discussed this before. By rule the defense must get there first to get spots. In practice most officials do not want players jockeying for spots and space during dead balls particularly after substitutions or situations where defence cannot get to spots first. Members of this board convinced me to call it by the book but most of my former colleagues still give them spots.

I'll give them spots too, just not those spots.