The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 02:50am
We don't rent pigs

Blocking foul?

This one seemed like the most obviously wrong test question of the bunch to me. Am I reading the question wrong?

B1 has established legal guarding position on dribbler A1. A1 moves laterally to go around B1, and catches the hip of B1, who is moving forward towards A1 to retain their position. The contact causes A1 to stumble and lose the ball. Officials call a blocking foul on B1.

true or false

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
This one seemed like the most obviously wrong test question of the bunch to me. Am I reading the question wrong?

B1 has established legal guarding position on dribbler A1. A1 moves laterally to go around B1, and catches the hip of B1, who is moving forward towards A1 to retain their position. The contact causes A1 to stumble and lose the ball. Officials call a blocking foul on B1.

true or false
Technically not a true or false questions, but a correct or incorrect question. Anyways, B1 moves towards A1 and makes contact with B1's hip. That's a blocking foul as B1 may not move towards A1 while maintaining LGP and the contact was also not in B1's torso.

So the officials are correct which I guess translates to true.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

true or false

Those two parts seem contradictory
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

true or false
B1 "is moving forward to retain their position." He cannot "retain" or maintain (that is the word used in the rules) LGP by moving forward when the contact occurs. Laterally or obliquely…and he is ok. Officials correct to call blocking foul. True.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 10:19am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

true or false
Where are you getting these questions from?
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 11:19am
NFHS Official

Quote:

true or false
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

That's why this is a true statement.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 11:23am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Should be a block the way I read it.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Agree with Big Cat, moving forward, B1 loses his LGP.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 11:37am
Courageous When Prudent

I'm not trusting the source of a test if they are including phrases like "who is moving forward towards A1 to retain their position".
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

These questions are from the 2015-16 NFHS basketball test. It's the one standard test that's the same for all high school basketball officials with 100 questions in random order. It's also common to have several mistakes in the test, and we like to stew in our frustration together over the injustice of being marked less-than-perfect because of poorly-written questions. My first year taking the soccer test, I was frustrated enough that I wrote an email to the gentleman who authored the test. You can find them in the front of the book. Since then, I just roll with it since I can take it four times anyway, and I have never failed it.

FWIW, the wording on the question I complained about was changed the following year. Maybe it was me, maybe a thousand other refs moaned about it too.. who knows? The guys who administer these things do take their jobs seriously.

There are a few questions that show up on the soccer test year after year, and I always smile about the poor ref who encountered the situation the question addresses: Player B2 passes the ball forward to player B3, who is unmarked but still 35 yards from goal. Team A's coach reaches onto the field and knocks down the pass mid-air. The official: a) ejects coach for failing to conduct himself in a responsible manner; b) takes no action, since no violation has occurred; c) cautions coach for unsporting conduct; d) stops play and restarts with a drop-ball; e) stares in disbelief, his whistle hanging limply from his lips while players and spectators alike scream imprecations and beat the coach senseless (these choices aren't the real ones in the test).
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 01:16pm
We don't rent pigs

The questions are from the Louisiana test. I don't know where the test comes from or who wrote it. In the past I believe we have had our own test and not used the NFHS test.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodros_nemesis View Post
These questions are from the 2015-16 NFHS basketball test. It's the one standard test that's the same for all high school basketball officials with 100 questions in random order.
No, they are not.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

Moving forward does maintain LGP unless there is contact while they are moving forward. Presumably, the player was moving forward before contact, so, they actions "were" legal until contact occurred.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 03:29pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodros_nemesis View Post
These questions are from the 2015-16 NFHS basketball test. It's the one standard test that's the same for all high school basketball officials with 100 questions in random order. It's also common to have several mistakes in the test, and we like to stew in our frustration together over the injustice of being marked less-than-perfect because of poorly-written questions. My first year taking the soccer test, I was frustrated enough that I wrote an email to the gentleman who authored the test. You can find them in the front of the book. Since then, I just roll with it since I can take it four times anyway, and I have never failed it.

FWIW, the wording on the question I complained about was changed the following year. Maybe it was me, maybe a thousand other refs moaned about it too.. who knows? The guys who administer these things do take their jobs seriously.

There are a few questions that show up on the soccer test year after year, and I always smile about the poor ref who encountered the situation the question addresses: Player B2 passes the ball forward to player B3, who is unmarked but still 35 yards from goal. Team A's coach reaches onto the field and knocks down the pass mid-air. The official: a) ejects coach for failing to conduct himself in a responsible manner; b) takes no action, since no violation has occurred; c) cautions coach for unsporting conduct; d) stops play and restarts with a drop-ball; e) stares in disbelief, his whistle hanging limply from his lips while players and spectators alike scream imprecations and beat the coach senseless (these choices aren't the real ones in the test).
Quote:
The questions are from the Louisiana test. I don't know where the test comes from or who wrote it. In the past I believe we have had our own test and not used the NFHS test.
I was going to say, that question jar posted cannot be from a VHSL test.

Looks like it was written by one of those administrators who don't want to pay the refs any money.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 03:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I was going to say, that question jar posted cannot be from a VHSL test.

Looks like it was written by one of those administrators who don't want to pay the refs any money.
Or coaches.