The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Blocking foul? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100485-blocking-foul.html)

just another ref Fri Dec 11, 2015 02:50am

Blocking foul?

This one seemed like the most obviously wrong test question of the bunch to me. Am I reading the question wrong?

B1 has established legal guarding position on dribbler A1. A1 moves laterally to go around B1, and catches the hip of B1, who is moving forward towards A1 to retain their position. The contact causes A1 to stumble and lose the ball. Officials call a blocking foul on B1.

true or false

Eastshire Fri Dec 11, 2015 07:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 972486)
This one seemed like the most obviously wrong test question of the bunch to me. Am I reading the question wrong?

B1 has established legal guarding position on dribbler A1. A1 moves laterally to go around B1, and catches the hip of B1, who is moving forward towards A1 to retain their position. The contact causes A1 to stumble and lose the ball. Officials call a blocking foul on B1.

true or false

Technically not a true or false questions, but a correct or incorrect question. Anyways, B1 moves towards A1 and makes contact with B1's hip. That's a blocking foul as B1 may not move towards A1 while maintaining LGP and the contact was also not in B1's torso.

So the officials are correct which I guess translates to true.

bob jenkins Fri Dec 11, 2015 08:10am

Quote:

true or false

Those two parts seem contradictory

BigCat Fri Dec 11, 2015 09:38am

Quote:

true or false

B1 "is moving forward to retain their position." He cannot "retain" or maintain (that is the word used in the rules) LGP by moving forward when the contact occurs. Laterally or obliquely…and he is ok. Officials correct to call blocking foul. True.

Raymond Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:19am

Quote:

true or false

Where are you getting these questions from?

OKREF Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:19am

Quote:

true or false

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 972491)

That's why this is a true statement.

Adam Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:23am

Should be a block the way I read it.

Indianaref Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:34am

Agree with Big Cat, moving forward, B1 loses his LGP.

Raymond Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:37am

I'm not trusting the source of a test if they are including phrases like "who is moving forward towards A1 to retain their position".

goodros_nemesis Fri Dec 11, 2015 01:03pm

These questions are from the 2015-16 NFHS basketball test. It's the one standard test that's the same for all high school basketball officials with 100 questions in random order. It's also common to have several mistakes in the test, and we like to stew in our frustration together over the injustice of being marked less-than-perfect because of poorly-written questions. My first year taking the soccer test, I was frustrated enough that I wrote an email to the gentleman who authored the test. You can find them in the front of the book. Since then, I just roll with it since I can take it four times anyway, and I have never failed it.

FWIW, the wording on the question I complained about was changed the following year. Maybe it was me, maybe a thousand other refs moaned about it too.. who knows? The guys who administer these things do take their jobs seriously.

There are a few questions that show up on the soccer test year after year, and I always smile about the poor ref who encountered the situation the question addresses: Player B2 passes the ball forward to player B3, who is unmarked but still 35 yards from goal. Team A's coach reaches onto the field and knocks down the pass mid-air. The official: a) ejects coach for failing to conduct himself in a responsible manner; b) takes no action, since no violation has occurred; c) cautions coach for unsporting conduct; d) stops play and restarts with a drop-ball; e) stares in disbelief, his whistle hanging limply from his lips while players and spectators alike scream imprecations and beat the coach senseless (these choices aren't the real ones in the test).

just another ref Fri Dec 11, 2015 01:16pm

The questions are from the Louisiana test. I don't know where the test comes from or who wrote it. In the past I believe we have had our own test and not used the NFHS test.

Nevadaref Fri Dec 11, 2015 01:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodros_nemesis (Post 972543)
These questions are from the 2015-16 NFHS basketball test. It's the one standard test that's the same for all high school basketball officials with 100 questions in random order.

No, they are not.

Camron Rust Fri Dec 11, 2015 01:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 972491)

Moving forward does maintain LGP unless there is contact while they are moving forward. Presumably, the player was moving forward before contact, so, they actions "were" legal until contact occurred.

Raymond Fri Dec 11, 2015 03:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodros_nemesis (Post 972543)
These questions are from the 2015-16 NFHS basketball test. It's the one standard test that's the same for all high school basketball officials with 100 questions in random order. It's also common to have several mistakes in the test, and we like to stew in our frustration together over the injustice of being marked less-than-perfect because of poorly-written questions. My first year taking the soccer test, I was frustrated enough that I wrote an email to the gentleman who authored the test. You can find them in the front of the book. Since then, I just roll with it since I can take it four times anyway, and I have never failed it.

FWIW, the wording on the question I complained about was changed the following year. Maybe it was me, maybe a thousand other refs moaned about it too.. who knows? The guys who administer these things do take their jobs seriously.

There are a few questions that show up on the soccer test year after year, and I always smile about the poor ref who encountered the situation the question addresses: Player B2 passes the ball forward to player B3, who is unmarked but still 35 yards from goal. Team A's coach reaches onto the field and knocks down the pass mid-air. The official: a) ejects coach for failing to conduct himself in a responsible manner; b) takes no action, since no violation has occurred; c) cautions coach for unsporting conduct; d) stops play and restarts with a drop-ball; e) stares in disbelief, his whistle hanging limply from his lips while players and spectators alike scream imprecations and beat the coach senseless (these choices aren't the real ones in the test).

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 972549)
The questions are from the Louisiana test. I don't know where the test comes from or who wrote it. In the past I believe we have had our own test and not used the NFHS test.

I was going to say, that question jar posted cannot be from a VHSL test.

Looks like it was written by one of those administrators who don't want to pay the refs any money.

Adam Fri Dec 11, 2015 03:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 972589)
I was going to say, that question jar posted cannot be from a VHSL test.

Looks like it was written by one of those administrators who don't want to pay the refs any money.

Or coaches.