The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 12:27am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
I think he earned a T, but your response may have been effective.

In my opinion, if you look like a "fresh face", it might be good to let him know that he can't bark at you. I suspect it would depend on whether your assignor would support it.

Sometimes coaches are right when they yell for three seconds and sometimes they are right when they yell for travels.
Coaches are never right when they yell for anything. deecee has it right. Another version of what he said is, "You're hear to coach your players, not me."
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 12:28am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAndWhiteRef View Post
"This is varsity. Not JV anymore. You need to be making those calls."

I found this extremely condescending and really wanted to whack him, but he hadn't said anything profane and it probably wasn't a good idea to whack someone in my second varsity game, so I look him square in the eye and say, like a teacher to a kindergartner, "Coach. Stop. Now." I run back down the court and hear him muttering something about "Call the walks yadda yadda yadda."

What are some go-to phrases that you all use to get a coach off your back? Should I have whacked him?
Anytime a coach says something personal or questions your integrity, those things need to be addressed. Giving a T for this is easy. You let that go on way too long and should have just T'd him and that would have sent the message. If he continued, well sometimes when the roll the dice, they just might crap out.

I get the apprehension as you are new, but you do not have to be disrespected to do your job.

I also want to get away from telling people what to say on these things because you have to say things that fit your personality and your sense of humor. Also of what you have to say has to come natural and has to fit situation. Some of us are funny, straight forward, sarcastic, hard-azzed and just plain grumpy, so you have to do what works mostly for you.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Anytime a coach says something personal or questions your integrity, those things need to be addressed. Giving a T for this is easy. You let that go on way too long and should have just T'd him and that would have sent the message. If he continued, well sometimes when the roll the dice, they just might crap out.

I get the apprehension as you are new, but you do not have to be disrespected to do your job.
What Jeff said.

One other thought: You rarely regret the technicals you call. Many times you regret those you don't.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

I'll admit it: I regret not calling one last night in a girls game. The visiting HC was down 30+ in the 4th quarter getting turboclocked and said something T-worthy. It wasn't that bad but it would have been a good ABS technical. I didn't pull the trigger and it's bothering me today.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
What Jeff said.

One other thought: You rarely regret the technicals you call. Many times you regret those you don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I'll admit it: I regret not calling one last night in a girls game. The visiting HC was down 30+ in the 4th quarter getting turboclocked and said something T-worthy. It wasn't that bad but it would have been a good ABS technical. I didn't pull the trigger and it's bothering me today.

Looks like JetMetFan was right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 01:39pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
What are some go-to phrases that you all use to get a coach off your back?
With eye contact, and a hand on my chest, slowly, "Coach... we got this."

Used this one yesterday. Coach A wanted three seconds on his opposition on B. (Second half, so opposite end.) It wasn't the first time. As the T (2 man), I paused a second to make sure B-1 wasn't leaving the lane, and I got that call, then gave my look and line to Coach A.

His reply, "Oh, I wasn't talking to you. I was letting my kids know they're in the lane too long."
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
Interesting. I've always called it because I think they gain an advantage by walking into their shot without dribbling. I think this is a different discussion for a different thread though. Carry on.

OP: As soon as he tells you something along the lines of you being a JV official...ring him up. You've earned your way to the varsity level.
I tend to agree, if they are gonna bring the level of the game and the level of our officiating into it, that's an automatic for me. In this situation, he may not have directly came out and said the OP was JV official, but it was definitely hinted it.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hey all, had just my second varsity game of my career (it was girls) last night. The game isn't too different, just the coaches are a lot more animated and will get on you more, especially if you're a fresh face like me.

At some point during the third quarter one of the teams started pressing. And I kid you not, on five (5) straight possessions up the floor, that team's coach is in my ear screaming for travels. Five. I mean, girls are barely touching the ball before passing it off to beat the press and he's like "Walk! That's a WALK!" After the third possession I tell him, "We hear you, Coach." After the last time, he growls at me, "This is varsity. Not JV anymore. You need to be making those calls."

I found this extremely condescending and really wanted to whack him, but he hadn't said anything profane and it probably wasn't a good idea to whack someone in my second varsity game, so I look him square in the eye and say, like a teacher to a kindergartner, "Coach. Stop. Now." I run back down the court and hear him muttering something about "Call the walks yadda yadda yadda."

What are some go-to phrases that you all use to get a coach off your back? Should I have whacked him?
In your situation, he is definitely borderline on being whacked. Especially since you said you warned him after the 3rd time and he still kept going, I am whacking him.

As you get more experienced you'll learn when to whack a coach and when to just warn.

As far as phrases to use, "stop" or "I've heard enough" pretty much mean the coach's leash is gone. Anything more and he's getting whacked.

In some cases, just saying stuff like "We'll watch for it coach" or "I'm taking a look" or "I hear you coach" will work. It all depends on the coach.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 03:07pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Hey all, had just my second varsity game of my career (it was girls) last night. The game isn't too different, just the coaches are a lot more animated and will get on you more, especially if you're a fresh face like me.

At some point during the third quarter one of the teams started pressing. And I kid you not, on five (5) straight possessions up the floor, that team's coach is in my ear screaming for travels. Five. I mean, girls are barely touching the ball before passing it off to beat the press and he's like "Walk! That's a WALK!" After the third possession I tell him, "We hear you, Coach." After the last time, he growls at me, "This is varsity. Not JV anymore. You need to be making those calls."

When you said this, and he said this, is when the T happens.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 03:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Whack. Seriously. That's the spot and don't let that go.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I'm way more likely to T a coach here than I am to T a coach for mumbling.

Grats on getting some varsity! Keep it up, dealing with coaches will come with time.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Yep. No reason to deal with disrespect. He's on a real short leash the rest of the game with me for that one.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 03:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by refinks View Post
In your situation, he is definitely borderline on being whacked. Especially since you said you warned him after the 3rd time and he still kept going, I am whacking him.
The thing with warnings is you have to follow through when they run through them. There's nothing borderline here.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refinks View Post
I tend to agree, if they are gonna bring the level of the game and the level of our officiating into it, that's an automatic for me. In this situation, he may not have directly came out and said the OP was JV official, but it was definitely hinted it.
Well, I had worked the JV game beforehand too, so he wasn't entirely wrong. Whatever the case, I now know I should have given him a T.

I've only given one in my four-plus years of officiating--rung up a kid for clapping in his opponent's face after blocking a shot. That one was a no-brainer.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

I also want to get away from telling people what to say on these things because you have to say things that fit your personality and your sense of humor. Also of what you have to say has to come natural and has to fit situation. Some of us are funny, straight forward, sarcastic, hard-azzed and just plain grumpy, so you have to do what works mostly for you.

Peace
That...and going after my partner(s). Filled in last minute for two in a JV Boys tourney last week. Coach starts in on me needing to help my partner. I said "Coach, change topics I don't want to hear it." He continued so I said "Coach, last time. You will not talk about my partner to me." When he kept going...WHACK. He even had the never to ask "What was that for?" I just looked at him after reporting and said "Really?" and walked away.